Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Jan 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Best offsite experience?

We had CSR booked for 11 nights, HRH for 3 nights last year, so all onsite, free dining etc. First time as a family. It was obviously cancelled and it's looking increasingly likely we won't get that holiday in our original £9k budget as we will need to go school holidays next year (plus anticipating price rises, no free dining etc) that sum needs to include food budget, 2A2C.

Anyway, we love roadtrips and have done a few inc states so are quite happy to book separately and hire a car etc, we're not strangers to that (probably prefer it actually) but just wondering what's the best offsite experience you can have whilst still doing Disney and Universal? Are we better off in a hotel? Or in a villa? Shall we hire a car, or find a hotel with transfers and theme park transportation?

I was so looking forward to the magic, excitement and ease of the bubble but what Disney appears to be offering at the moment seems to fall well short of that.

All advice and hotel/villa recommendations welcome
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I'd never done onsite until 2019 (been visiting since 1994). I've always enjoyed villa stays and then balancing out what to do so we enjoy pool time, dinners on the lanai, dipping in and out of disney, maybe a day ticket or a hard ticket event, visiting Disney springs.

As a family we have a soft spot for Busch Gardens so usually get the 3 park ticket with free parking for BG, Sea world and aquatica. For next year it's around 120 for a 14 day ticket or those parks and Universal are 400ish. We also try and do 1 or 2 new things. There's vineyards, state parks etc so there's lots of explore as well as the beaches so definitely recommend the car option.

For us in terms of parks it's definitely a case of making a choice between Disney and the rest due to cost and wanting down time and usually when we go offsite disney does lose out but the bonus of having the space of the villa really is great. I recommend the despicable three vlogs if you want to see the other side with hotel stays and using public transport/ride share etc and that is also appealing to me especially if i'm just going with my sister.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We have never stayed on site and like previous poster, enjoy the benefits of a villa. We do hire a car and like to travel about a bit, usually taking in a night or two at Clearwater. I can highly recommend the Pierhouse 60 hotel in Clearwater. It is clean, modern and across the road from the beach. We've previously stayed at the Hilton, which is just up the road a couple of mins walk and it was almost 3 times the price but, in our opinion, no better.
We love going to Celebration for a wander around the lake, sometimes visiting the market on Sunday.
The shopping malls are definitely another draw! We also usually manage a trip or two to Disney Springs. We also try to fit in some mini golf.
Kennedy Space Centre is a great day out too, if you are into that sort of thing. My lot love it - last time we went in 2019 we were there on the actual day of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. It was a brilliant experience!
We went to Lake Louisa for a walk and hope to do more of that sort of thing next time, maybe hire bikes or canoes.
There is so much to do that's not in the theme parks. It really depends on what you want to do - you can't hope to do it all in one holiday.
Old 13 Jan 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

We have never stayed onsite and always stayed in the vicinity of I.Drive/ Seaworld. As our family increased we have gone from staying in a hotel to a 2/3 bedroomed apartments on a resort. We have always hired a car. There is something out there to suit everyone's needs, it's just a case of finding what's right for you.

Edited at 11:18 PM.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
rayraygreen
Excited about Disney

St Augustine isn’t too far away and it’s beautiful. It’s a really old town with loads to see and things to do. Daytona Beach was a bit grim though, I’d give that a miss.
Hollywood Studios CM - 2013
Epcot UK Pavilion CM - 2017-2018
rayraygreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Off to Clearwater and go dolphin watching on the Little Toot in the morning, drive over the "Sunshine Bridge" and early bird dinner at "Yoders" and back to the villa to sit by the pool with a glass of wine... bliss !
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

We have stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort a couple of times. Next door to CBR so within the Disney property boundary.

Generally a 2 bedroom deluxe apartment is the same price as the cheapest All Star room but has loads of space. Main room has a king bed and huge ensuite with spa bath. Large lounge, full kitchen and nice dining table. Other room has two queen beds and an adjoining bathroom. Plenty of privacy as the second bedroom is well away from the master bedroom. Ideal for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Resort has several pools including a pirate ship pool and lazy river plus entertainment. Not too far from the numerous restaurants around either LBV or 192.

Having the kitchen is really useful - especially the full size fridge with freezer compartment.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List