Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 19 Jan 21, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
di5ney
Being a bit Goofy

Overnight stay

Hi, all going well we have a caravan in kent booked for 7 nights in july. We are travelling from glasgow with a 7 yr old and a very active 18month old. We are thinking about having an overnight stay somewhere on the way down to break up the journey (we have 2 weeks off work). Wouldnt mind a travelodge or premier inn! Can anyone recommend anywhere sort of mid way? We dont normally do these sort of breaks lol thanks!
di5ney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

M1 or M6 ?

Disney332
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Coming from Glasgow I would think you would probably go M74, M6, M1, M25 and M2.
If it was me I would try and get down to just north of Birmingham on the first day.
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Half way would be around the Leeds area. Ive never been but Diggerland is supposed to be very good especially for smaller children. Eureka in Halifax is an interactive children’s museum and was always our favourite day out.

When we caravanned we used to lift our children out of bed in the early hours and put them in the car in their pyjamas. Usually they didn’t wake up until we were there ! This will depend on when you can get in to your accommodation though, we had a tourer then.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Coming from Glasgow I would think you would probably go M74, M6, M1, M25 and M2.
If it was me I would try and get down to just north of Birmingham on the first day.
I used the M74, M6, A66, M1, M11 and M25 (over the bridge) into Kent, to avoid a longer stretch of the M25 in the Heathrow area and Birmingham.

Personal choice I know.

Disney332
Old 19 Jan 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I used the M74, M6, A66, M1, M11 and M25 (over the bridge) into Kent, to avoid a longer stretch of the M25 in the Heathrow area and Birmingham.

Personal choice I know.

Disney332
That's a good route. Might try that next time although been a few years since we've driven down. Now usually fly into London and hire a car.
In the 70's used to drive from Kent to Scotland by going straight through London to the start of the M1 usually overnight when traffic was quiet.
Old 19 Jan 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

What about Tamworth and a day at Drayton Manor? They have Thomas Land which is great for little ones. Also, there is a hotel at Drayton Manor but there are also a few Premier Inn's, Holiday Inn's and Travelodge's in the area.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
di5ney
Being a bit Goofy

Thanks for all your help! Its 2 wee girls i have and the oldest isnt up for diggerland lol really hope our trip can go ahead! Looking at buying the merlin annual pass, although i have noticed they have changed and no longer do the pay monthly option!
di5ney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
That's a good route. Might try that next time although been a few years since we've driven down. Now usually fly into London and hire a car.
In the 70's used to drive from Kent to Scotland by going straight through London to the start of the M1 usually overnight when traffic was quiet.
Ifyou do., dont forget the Dartford Crossing toll charge...

Disney332
Old 19 Jan 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by di5ney View Post
Thanks for all your help! Its 2 wee girls i have and the oldest isnt up for diggerland lol really hope our trip can go ahead! Looking at buying the merlin annual pass, although i have noticed they have changed and no longer do the pay monthly option!
If you get the Merlin pass, then why not make your stop at Warwick Castle.

It will take 5-6 hours from Glasgow and as it is only open until 4/5pm maybe head down, stay the night locally, then do the morning / early afternoon there and then finish the journey that afternoon / evening.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List