Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jan 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
Some good information so thank you. Was hoping to get up early and line up for the cable cars but we arrive in the city on our 7th day so the likelihood is we will struggle to wake too early! I was thinking to Uber to and from the boat for Alcatraz.
If you just want to ride the cable cars then consider using the California line which runs to Van Ness. It is far less busy (e.g. no queuing when we've used late morning mid August).

You can hop off at top of one of the hills and walk back through Chinatown.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I don’t have any touring advice as such but San Francisco is ace and I wouldn’t risk missing Alcatraz so would book on the second day to be sure. We walked everywhere when we were there, got to take in the view on the way, admittedly we had a couple more days than you have there.
We brought a guide book when planning and basically selected the places we definitely wanted to see and made a route from that.
Have tried to find my photos of leaving Alcatraz at sun set as they are absolute favourites but not on this phone sadly.
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by juliab View Post
We only just made it to our tour so i would book it as late as you can i would say you need to be leaving Yosemite in the morning though so i don't know what your plans are for that day.
It's hard isn't it trying to make a plan, maybe just write down your must haves for San Francisco then work around that.
We walked past the Powell/Mason cable car turnaround at about 8.30 and it wasn't busy so it depends which line you want to ride on.
I hope the trip report helps with your planning and good luck.
I was thinking I leave Yosemite in the morning. I think I will probably chance the Alcatraz tour on the first evening if it is doable will just worry about traffic on the way over!

I was trying to get my head around the cable car routes last weekend and need to continue looking into it as am still clueless as to which line goes where!

The trip report I’m loving and it’s so helpful as a west coast first timer.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
If you just want to ride the cable cars then consider using the California line which runs to Van Ness. It is far less busy (e.g. no queuing when we've used late morning mid August).

You can hop off at top of one of the hills and walk back through Chinatown.
This is very helpful information thank you.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alwaysdisley View Post
I don’t have any touring advice as such but San Francisco is ace and I wouldn’t risk missing Alcatraz so would book on the second day to be sure. We walked everywhere when we were there, got to take in the view on the way, admittedly we had a couple more days than you have there.
We brought a guide book when planning and basically selected the places we definitely wanted to see and made a route from that.
Have tried to find my photos of leaving Alcatraz at sun set as they are absolute favourites but not on this phone sadly.
Oh the sunset sounds perfect, I’m very much hoping to have the evening visit. Thanks very much for your advice.
Old 28 Feb 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
techman47
slightly serious Dibber

We booked our trip to Alcatraz with Alcatraz Island tours, we just turned up at the pier at the set time and were on our way, you could stay as long as you wanted then catch the next boat back we loved it.
New York 09,11,14: Las Vegas 11,14,19: Washington DC 14, Atlanta 15,18, San Francisco 19, Rome 16,17.
techman47 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've been to SF twice, first time we purely self touring (was there for another reason) and second time was a mix of self touring for a couple of days and a day with the Dylan's tour.

The nice thing about SF is that a lot of the city centre is fairly walkable and public transport is very accessible in the city centre. So you can probably plan an itinerary that goes from the Alcatraz pier to Fisherman's Wharf, then cable car to the Chinatown and Union Square area. Can probably also incorporate Coit tower too. One of the cable car lines (Powell/Hyde I think) also stops at the top of Lombard street and you can walk down from there, which is a lot easier than walking up Lombard street.

For these areas right in the city centre it might be easier to walk or take public transport or Uber than drive.

I took public transport to the Walt Disney family museum a few years ago but I think driving or taking an Uber to it would be much simpler!

Please remember to book tickets for Alcatraz and Muir Woods (you need to book something for this but I'm not sure of the specifics) in advance! As they both sell out...