Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Death Valley is worth a visit. I saw Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon also mentioned. I'd only do one of them as they are all similar.

Red rock is small but close and can be done in a few hours. VoF Is a half day and can be combined with Lake Mead. Death Valley needs a full day minimum, and can justify 2 with a stopover.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another vote for Death Valley - 2 hour drive from LV via I95 and you can get to see the main sites of Badwater, Dante's View (my favourite place in the park), Artists Drive, Badwater and a visit to the National Park Ranger station for the selfie in from of the thermometer.

If you pass by Amargosa Opera House in Death Valley junction its worth a look in - I met Marta Becket once many years ago - batty as a fruit cake but a lovel lady with some great stories. The inside of the Opera House is featured on Lighthouse Family video of Lifted along with some scenes shot in DV too.

Drive back via Pahrump - just don't expect to get any chicken at Chicken Ranch of a cup of coffee at Sheri's

Edited to read - I have never visited either of the Pahrump establishments - google them and I think you will work out why.

Edited at 08:28 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Death Valley is worth a visit. I saw Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon also mentioned. I'd only do one of them as they are all similar.

Red rock is small but close and can be done in a few hours. VoF Is a half day and can be combined with Lake Mead. Death Valley needs a full day minimum, and can justify 2 with a stopover.
Sorry to hijack this thread
We have done Vegas before , and did red rock canyon but not valley of fire.
I have a trip in the very early planning stages that involves flying into Vegas, then driving through Death Valley , to bishop and on to Yosemite .
Likely to be August .
I had planned to maybe do valley of fire / lake mead for a day
Then the next day do the drive from Vegas to bishop via Death Valley .

You have now got me thinking it might be worth dumping valley of fire ( If it is similar to DV which I hadn’t read beforehand) and instead taking two days to drive to bishop , taking more time to explore Death Valley ?

Is this sensible ?
Where would you stop overnight ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Where to stay depends on what time of year and what level of luxury you want. We like Panamint Springs but it's no more than a motel at best. It's the location we like.

One of the places we like in Death Valley that many don't know about or stop at is Darwin. It's a near abandoned ghost town that was originally a mining town. If you like photography and places like that it's one not to miss.

LV to Bishop with doing DV any justice is going to be a 12 hour day at least.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Where to stay depends on what time of year and what level of luxury you want. We like Panamint Springs but it's no more than a motel at best. It's the location we like.

One of the places we like in Death Valley that many don't know about or stop at is Darwin. It's a near abandoned ghost town that was originally a mining town. If you like photography and places like that it's one not to miss.

LV to Bishop with doing DV any justice is going to be a 12 hour day at least.
Thanks a lot . I don’t do luxury so that sounds perfect .
So you would definitely recommend ignoring valley of fire and taking two days to get from Vegas to Bishop ?

As said almost certain to be August . Unless my missus quits her job in a school before then in which case June or July
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 10:26 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Valley of Fire is very nice and worth a visit. It can be done in half a day.

You will get to see.similar scenery in Death Valley.

I would get views from others as my mind is split.
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
dexdis
Trying for More Ears

dexdis's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some views o death valley, I would recommend the devils hold course too, just for the sheer desolation of the valley, but again if you go in August ensure you take plenty of water.
dexdis is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Ok thanks all I will take a look and plan accordingly 👍
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List