Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jan 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

International driving permit

We are driving from Seattle Tacoma to Vancouver at Easter.

Do I need an International Drivers Permit to drive in Washington State ? From reading, this would appear the case.. unless any of you folk can tell me differently.

If so, is the Post Office the simplest place to get one?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

As far as I'm aware you dont need one anywhere in the USA. DH drove from Washington to Virginia a few years ago and didnt get one anyway!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I believe you only need these things if your license is not in English. Prepared to be wrong though.
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have just found that they are £5.50 at the Post Office and therefore, I will invest in one. When I look it up, they do seem to be required in Washington State (not California , where I am in the days before) and therefore, I would look a mug in the case that one is demanded... plus my wife might lose it a tiny bit.

At the end of the day, £5.50 is less than the cost of a (decent) pasty and a saffron bun.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am now the proud owner of an International driving permit.. or IDP as we international drivers refer to them.

Still as. clear as mud on whether I need it.. but can’t take the risk!

Edited at 01:13 PM.
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I usually take one to the US regardless of whether the state says I should, 5.50 against whatever insurance fine print I didn't read, they look so dodgy though prit stick photo and a stamp 😆
Old 22 Jan 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by fiona88 View Post
I usually take one to the US regardless of whether the state says I should, 5.50 against whatever insurance fine print I didn't read, they look so dodgy though prit stick photo and a stamp 😆
I based my decision partly on your reasoning.

It took 5 minutes and cost me £5.50. In the scale of things it is pennies.. If embarrassed at the hire car checkout, the fall out would be enormous.
Mine has a few Post Office stamps on the Check list. What I fail to see is how the Permit was recorded for registration purposes as the only place with my detail recorded is handwritten on the Permit itself.

Old 23 Jan 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
coast2coast
Getting to know the DIBB

I have driven in every state on mainland America (The lower 48) and have only used my normal UK driving license.
Old 23 Jan 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
As long as your DL is in English, you do not need an IDP.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List