Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile Is it worth paying for the dining plan?

Hi,

We’ve been to Disney World several times, but not Disneyland Paris. We’re looking to go the first week of sept and have a 6,4 and 1 year old and think we’ll stay in the new marvel hotel. The price is much cheaper on the french site, with the free under 12s and hotel discount, but doesn’t include half board like the UK site.

How pricey is the food there? Is it worth adding on the dining plan, or is it rarely cost effective? We’ll probably look to do maybe 1 character meal and the rest quick service meals I’d imagine. Are the portions big like in the US so we could share 3 meals between us?

Thanks, new to all this!

Laura
LauraE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post

The dining plan doesn't technically cover counter service meals - so if you want to eat at those restaurants then it wouldn't be worth it.

Do bear in mind that counter service meals at DLP aren't the best - the service tends to be slow. You might find booking a buffet would be a better bet as you can take as long or little as you like and there is no queuing for an hour for food.

The best way to work out if the plan would work for you is to look on the website and download the menus of where you would like to eat, compare the cost of paying out of pocket with that of the meal plan and see if you come out better.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Unless your planning to eat at the plus level restaurants that come with the Marvel hotel meal plan then you really would not get good value for money.

Personally, I think you'd get a better deal booking on the french site with the bigger discount and free child places and then using the money that you've saved to buy meals when you're there.
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Food is very expensive at DLP but there are ways round it.

Breakfast in your hotel is a buffet and is very expensive. Unless you eat loads at breakfast and then aren’t hungry till evening (which we have done) then it would be better to get breakfast at Earl of Sandwich, Starbucks, McD’s or New York Style Sandwiches in the Village.

You can but snacks and drinks in the railway station shop and take in.

In the Village you have Five Guys and Vapiano as well as the more expensive places. Also a couple of places do pizza (sports bar and NY Style Sandwiches).
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post

I have also seen today that they are currently adding a Pret a Manger at the train station - so another option for cheaper breakfast and sandwiches etc coming soon
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stubbs86 View Post
I have also seen today that they are currently adding a Pret a Manger at the train station - so another option for cheaper breakfast and sandwiches etc coming soon
I'm so excited for this! I love me a pret hot wrap
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thank you all, I have had a quick look at the menus, not all have prices, but from what I can see I think we’ll be better off not paying for the meal plans and just paying for what we want to eat. It seems crazy that it is £1k cheaper for 3nights/4days booking on the french vs the UK site. Glad I took a look on here before booking! Now just need to hope I book the right thing with my rusty french/google translate 🤣
LauraE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

We’ve always calculated the cost of paying OOP for all of our meals, and compared it to the total cost of the meal plan plus any top ups / extra meals we would need. Then we do whichever is cheaper. Once, we booked the standard plan and got great value. Another time we booked the premium meal plan and had some fantastic character meals. And another time, we paid OOP for everything (took breakfast pastries and snacks with us, then just bought one buffet meal a day.) We’ve never eaten in counter service places (apart from when the meal plan included snacks) as the queues always look very long and unpleasant. We’d rather relax and fill up at a buffet.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thank you, we’re all booked now. Our boys are so excited for the Marvel hotel. Decided to go without the dining plan and take plenty of snacks and just buy a couple of meals per day. Can’t wait!
Laura