Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Feb 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
STRATTY73
New Poster (2)

Mobile Car Hire Collision Damage Waiver

Hi we have a package bked with Virgin and have been informed that the basic car insurance isn't enough. Has anyone sourced this themselves in the UK and will Alamo except it Thanks
STRATTY73 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

This is probably the cheapest method but it's not without it's risks. You'll need a policy that will cover everything without you having to pay out. I don't know of many people that could put $30k on their credit card for a written off car to be recovered later.

The safest route is to ditch the free car and hire independently with all insurances covered. Get a quote from Alamo Brits/Virgin Atlantic/Discount Florida Car Hire and compare that to the price of upgrading the insurance with Virgin.

Or the best option, tell Virgin they mis-sold the package to you as you have the insurance to pay and attempt to get them to throw it in. It's not free if it's woefully under insured and not comparable to any other UK priced car hire. I would love to see Virgin and TUI taken to task over their free car hire.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
This is probably the cheapest method but it's not without it's risks. You'll need a policy that will cover everything without you having to pay out. I don't know of many people that could put $30k on their credit card for a written off car to be recovered later.

The safest route is to ditch the free car and hire independently with all insurances covered. Get a quote from Alamo Brits/Virgin Atlantic/Discount Florida Car Hire and compare that to the price of upgrading the insurance with Virgin.

Or the best option, tell Virgin they mis-sold the package to you as you have the insurance to pay and attempt to get them to throw it in. It's not free if it's woefully under insured and not comparable to any other UK priced car hire. I would love to see Virgin and TUI taken to task over their free car hire.
Agree entirely although a handful of Dibbers do take out their own insurance but I'd never dream of doing it.

As you say having even a minor fender bender with your own CDW will mean having a big hold on your CC until blame is resolved between the two parties. Could take months. Have a fender bender with CDW included just ring Alamo for example and they bring you a new car.

Even more important than CDW in my opinion is SLI (third party). OP what does basic Virgin package include for this - possibly the dangerously low state minimum of $20k Hopelessly inadequate and should be $1m.

A Dibber came on recently linking the web site of the independent car insurance that he uses. When I read it I found in about 30 seconds that it specifically EXCLUDED SLI - totally useless and the first step to bankruptcy.

Mick
Old 18 Feb 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Asabove ditch the car and hire independently
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. My view is there is very much a place in the UK and Europe for a Policy that reduces your excess to zero as Insurance here is a rip off ref 'alleged' damage to cars.

However there is no excess in America but I wouldn't take out one of these stand alone Insurance policies for CDW and SLI and I am a tinker for saving money. Not for me sorry.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I’ve posted about this a few times before, but for new folks.
Coming back from KSC I hit a deep submerged pothole that totally ripped off the passenger side front suspension. The car was totally undrivable ( as it was in two pieces ! )
I had hired from Alamo with their insurance. One phone call and about 1 1/2 hrs later, the wrecker truck turns up with a replacement car of the same type. We just swapped our gear out into the new one, signed for the new car then drove off leaving the wrecker driver struggling to drag the car onto the bed of the truck. I never heard any more about it, no calls, no emails, nothing.
With a stand alone insurance I would probably had to pay the tow etc and possibly the damage then claim back. The wrecker driver reckoned that it would stay on the truck, get accessed then probably be scrapped so quite a big bill.
Some folk say that the third party insurance company may take over control, but you will still have to get in contact with them etc, fill out reports etc.
I’m there on holiday so happily pay the full Alamo insurance so I can get on with my holiday instead of arranging things with a third party insurer.
From my experience above I always go with the rental car insurance, but each to their own.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I’ve posted about this a few times before, but for new folks.
Coming back from KSC I hit a deep submerged pothole that totally ripped off the passenger side front suspension. The car was totally undrivable ( as it was in two pieces ! )
I had hired from Alamo with their insurance. One phone call and about 1 1/2 hrs later, the wrecker truck turns up with a replacement car of the same type. We just swapped our gear out into the new one, signed for the new car then drove off leaving the wrecker driver struggling to drag the car onto the bed of the truck. I never heard any more about it, no calls, no emails, nothing.
With a stand alone insurance I would probably had to pay the tow etc and possibly the damage then claim back. The wrecker driver reckoned that it would stay on the truck, get accessed then probably be scrapped so quite a big bill.
Some folk say that the third party insurance company may take over control, but you will still have to get in contact with them etc, fill out reports etc.
I’m there on holiday so happily pay the full Alamo insurance so I can get on with my holiday instead of arranging things with a third party insurer.
From my experience above I always go with the rental car insurance, but each to their own.
PPM

Indeed you should make this a sticky.

Adding on that anyone who accepts only $20k SLI should be aware that a night in hospital and a couple of Band Aids will soon see the back of $20,000. It infuriates me that so called reputable UK holiday companies are allowed to get way with it then charge extortionate additional costs to upgrade.

Mick