Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Feb 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thankyou everyone for your replies. VERY useful and written in my little book.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by sasperella View Post
Thanks for reply. I've written down directions from the DIBB. MCO -WDW. In directions there is no mention of Osceola Parkway? (Is that just the Road that leads to AKL? I presume it comes after- "Continue onto EPCOT Center Drive?"
Margaret

Maybe best if we start from scratch with directions.

Just make sure that you leave the MCO garage on the 417 south. In a few miles it will split into 417 north and south - just keep going 417 south.

Osceola Parkway is junction 3 off the 417 and, as I mentioned earlier is probably an unmanned toll. Just have a dollar in quarters ready to throw into the basket. You can have got change at the first plaza in my photo in post #6. Or you can use Sunpass but that's another story.

When you get on the OP you'll see a massive hotel complex ahead of you on the left. That's the famous Gaylord Palms.

Just stay on the OP now till the end. You'll go over I-4 - ignore it. You'll come to a crossroads with Victory Way with traffic lights and serious roadworks - go straight ahead (on a green light )

Then you'll cross World Drive and all exits saying Disney. Ignore it and go straight on. Trust Donna and I please.

Then as Donna says just follow the signs for AKL - NOT AK.

Don't get distracted by any exits at all until you see AKL. You can't go much further on OP until you see the famous Sherberth Road at the next lights.

Do a drive through on Google maps.

Mick

Edited at 10:47 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Hi Margaret, if you use the route that Mick and MrTM suggest would be the best for a first time driver i.e. the south exit onto the 417, you will naturally end up on Osceola Parkway. I would also use that route if my destination was anywhere in the Animal Kingdom area.

The other route via north exit to 528 and then onto I4 will take you onto Epcot Centre Drive.

Edit - should have known Mick would be around to clear things up

Edited at 10:46 AM.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Hi Margaret, if you use the route that Mick and MrTM suggest would be the best for a first time driver i.e. the south exit onto the 417, you will naturally end up on Osceola Parkway. I would also use that route if my destination was anywhere in the Animal Kingdom area.

The other route via north exit to 528 and then onto I4 will take you onto Epcot Centre Drive.

Edit - should have known Mick would be around to clear things up
Just slow typing with 73 year old fingers - all two of them.

Margaret - JUST SPOTTED I should have said at j3 you need the OP westbound.

Mick

Edited at 10:53 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Just slow typing with 73 year old fingers - all two of them.

Margaret - JUST SPOTTED I should have said at j3 you need the OP westbound.

Mick
I was slower than you Mick, I had to map the route in my head before I could type it I've been driving over there for years now and I'm pretty good at directions but the I4 east/west thing gets me every time. Not least because in the Orlando area it goes north to south.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
I was slower than you Mick, I had to map the route in my head before I could type it I've been driving over there for years now and I'm pretty good at directions but the I4 east/west thing gets me every time. Not least because in the Orlando area it goes north to south.
Julie

It probably helps that I've driven that route more often that I drive from home to Tesco.

But yes the I-4 is unusual in Orlando because locally it doesn't conform to the accepted Interstate numbering - odd numbers north to south and even numbers west to east. I often have to think before heading off to the M@M that we need Orlando direction east not Tampa west.

Mick
Old 19 Feb 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Margaret

Maybe best if we start from scratch with directions.

Just make sure that you leave the MCO garage on the 417 south. In a few miles it will split into 417 north and south - just keep going 417 south.

Osceola Parkway is junction 3 off the 417 and, as I mentioned earlier is probably an unmanned toll. Just have a dollar in quarters ready to throw into the basket. You can have got change at the first plaza in my photo in post #6. Or you can use Sunpass but that's another story.

When you get on the OP you'll see a massive hotel complex ahead of you on the left. That's the famous Gaylord Palms.

Just stay on the OP now till the end. You'll go over I-4 - ignore it. You'll come to a crossroads with Victory Way with traffic lights and serious roadworks - go straight ahead (on a green light )

Then you'll cross World Drive and all exits saying Disney. Ignore it and go straight on. Trust Donna and I please.

Then as Donna says just follow the signs for AKL - NOT AK.

Don't get distracted by any exits at all until you see AKL. You can't go much further on OP until you see the famous Sherberth Road at the next lights.

Do a drive through on Google maps.

Mick
Mick,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to type all this for me. DD has told me make sure to have my glasses as I will be navigating!

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by sasperella View Post
Mick,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to type all this for me. DD has told me make sure to have my glasses as I will be navigating!

Margaret

Just forget you've ever heard of Epcot Center Drive - stay well away until you're visiting the parks.

Three road signs to follow.

417 south from MCO
Junction 3 on to Osceola westbound
Animal Kingdom LODGE

Mick