Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Feb 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

Whats everyone's top tips for booking indirect flights?

Haven't booked a diy indirect flight for over five years and feel I'm a bit out of the loop, so what's everyone's top tips on getting a good deal?

Many thanks in advance
Old 20 Feb 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The top tip is unless you actually need an indirect flight (because you can't fly direct from any airport within a 200 mile drive) is don't do it.

Why put additional stress in the process when you don't have to?

I'm not saying don't fly indirect, loads of people do it every day (in fact most airline trips - not made on a budget airline - are indirect) I'm just saying it adds risk and potential for complications, so unless you need to, or are a sadomasochist why do that to yourself?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Because you can save a fortune.

Look at different routes and consider the timings. Is there sufficient time to make the connection. Are there later flights in case you miss your connection.
Are the savings sufficient to compensate for inconvenience.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin68uk
Helping Minnie

Financial reasons, fair enough. Otherwise what a faff, less time in disney or universal, more time at crowded airports and in the air. No sir, not my thing at all
kevin68uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

There is a very timely thread running on this very subject here

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1117164

The first post covers the approach of someone quite happy to research heavily and use indirect flights, the rest of the thread is a very reasonable and interesting debate on the pros and cons.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

There are lots of flight builders out there. I use momondo quite a bit, or Google flights for info.

Using something like a BA flydrive is a useful halfway house, they give you the options and the discount and you get package protection.

The most important thing in my view is that if you aiming to start in A and get to Z (your final destination) in one/two days then always always buy a through ticket.
This means that the airline is responsible for getting you to your final destination, irrespective of hurdles along the way.

If you are doing an open jaw, say LHR to JFK a few days in NYC followed by a couple of weeks in Orlando then you can buy the NYC to Orlando flight separately, and often cheaper. Otherwise always a through ticket.

Other things I look at. If say going via Boston for example I might check how many on-flights to Orlando or back to UK are there if I miss mine.

Consequently I often end up flying via an airline hub, such as Atlanta for Delta.

I try not to be on the last flight of the day as then there is little wiggle room .

Personally I like around a 3 hours minimum outbound connection, but would take a lot less on return.

Always keep a close eye on your domestic leg flight times, they are prone to lots of changes.
Old 21 Feb 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I would always look for at least 3 hour connection time in any US airport going out.

Consider weather conditions depending on the time of year you are travelling.i.e winter time flying through NE US airport could mean delays due to snow.

Be prepared for things to go wrong. As stated above you are adding in the potential for more things to go wrong but be prepared. Last time we went indirect through Chicago in August our plane from Miami couldn't land due to thunderstorms so we were diverted which meant we missed our connection to Manchester. AA were very good at rebooking us for the next day however only provided a small toiletry kit and the offer of a corner of the airport to sleep on a camp bed. We booked a hotel and claimed back on our insurance.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yeah, unless you are pre-clearing customs in Dublin, give yourself time to allow for potential delays in immigration. I always give myself 90 mins to 2 hours outbound and at least 60 to 90 mins inbound to change terminal.
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by loopyloo33 View Post
I would always look for at least 3 hour connection time in any US airport going out.

Consider weather conditions depending on the time of year you are travelling.i.e winter time flying through NE US airport could mean delays due to snow.

Be prepared for things to go wrong. As stated above you are adding in the potential for more things to go wrong but be prepared. Last time we went indirect through Chicago in August our plane from Miami couldn't land due to thunderstorms so we were diverted which meant we missed our connection to Manchester. AA were very good at rebooking us for the next day however only provided a small toiletry kit and the offer of a corner of the airport to sleep on a camp bed. We booked a hotel and claimed back on our insurance.
This ^^

More a packing point but make sure can live off hand luggage if necessary.