Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Feb 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Something special for my 50th

Next July I celebrate hitting half a century on my first ever visit to California. We're only there for a week so cramming as much in as possible, 2 days in each Disney park, 1 each at Universal Studios, Warner Bros tour and LA tour. I'll have a million questions before then as I'm totally out of my comfort zone, a WDW girl through and through...well up to now! However one of the first things I'd like to decide on is what to do on my actual Birthday. I'd ideally like to finish the day watching fireworks, but would love any suggestions of anything special I could do and somewhere extra special for my Birthday meal?

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome!

JA x

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Wow you are doing alot for one week! Hope you've read up on distances between Anaheim and Universal.
How about either a special meal in disney - blue bayou is nicely themed within pirates (but to be honest we didn't much like the food), or the Carthay Circle in Disneyland Adventure Park (but to be honest the food was good, but the restarant freezing cold - some pics on here scroll down to see a pic.
Or if you really want to push the boat out, then there is always this little ole hotel at Beverly Hills. We did the fountain coffee bar, which isn't bookable, but there are other restaurants there. Very very pricey but you can mix with the v.rich and sometimes famous! Only had valet parking at $20 a time! pics of the hotel here
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

For my special day we started with breakfast at the Regent Beverly Willshere (the hotel from Pretty Woman). It was incredibly extravagant and amazing!

We then did a small plane flight over LA, Long Beach, Hollywood and Malibu which was fabulous. On the drive back we stopped at several of the beaches and piers at Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan.

In the evening we got an uber to City Walk for cocktails and a steak dinner! There was a band playing that night (forget who) but it was a great atmosphere!

Another idea is a night time helicopter flight - the lights are just endless and you can see just how massive LA really is! We flew right over downtown and it was stunning.
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Thank you both for your replies. I should have been more specific but I'd like to do something special in Disney for my Birthday. But thank you for your suggestions.

JA x

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sizzle
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 11
Snap... i’m going for my 50th in May. I’m going with my son and we have booked 2 nights in the Grand Californian Hotel over my actual birthday. So far I’m thinking of possibly having breakfast at the Storytellers Cafe and then doing the Walk in Walt’s footsteps tour on the big day. Not sure about the evening yet.
Old 22 Feb 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Also going to Disneyland for my 50th, treat is staying in the Disneyland Hotel. I am thinking about the Walk in Walts footsteps tour on the day as it will be near the end of our stay. Thought about a nice dinner in Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55 but with Star Wars more than likely being open by July will try and book maybe Carthay Circle or Blue Bayou with one of the viewing packages to save us time. Still unclear as to what shows will be on in july and if they will be nightly or weekends only but my birthday is a Friday so should be good for at least one show!

We will be there with the kids and also visit WDW far more frequently than Disneyland so have enjoyed our fair share of expensive dinners at Disney World in the past. Think a visit to Trader Sams is in order though as have never been and this time it will be in our hotel!
scottishgirl1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Snap... i’m going for my 50th in May. I’m going with my son and we have booked 2 nights in the Grand Californian Hotel over my actual birthday. So far I’m thinking of possibly having breakfast at the Storytellers Cafe and then doing the Walk in Walt’s footsteps tour on the big day. Not sure about the evening yet.
Oh how lovely! I'd love to stay in one of the Disney hotels, but I'm trying to make this a "cheap" trip as I've got another holiday planned later in the year. I think I've decided I'm going to do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour on the morning then possibly dinner at Carthay Circle with the World of Colour package.

I'm going with Son too, I'm away in November with my friend so wanted to do something special with him for my actual Birthday. I can't wait!

JA x

Old 25 Feb 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishgirl1 View Post
Also going to Disneyland for my 50th, treat is staying in the Disneyland Hotel. I am thinking about the Walk in Walts footsteps tour on the day as it will be near the end of our stay. Thought about a nice dinner in Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55 but with Star Wars more than likely being open by July will try and book maybe Carthay Circle or Blue Bayou with one of the viewing packages to save us time. Still unclear as to what shows will be on in july and if they will be nightly or weekends only but my birthday is a Friday so should be good for at least one show!

We will be there with the kids and also visit WDW far more frequently than Disneyland so have enjoyed our fair share of expensive dinners at Disney World in the past. Think a visit to Trader Sams is in order though as have never been and this time it will be in our hotel!
Looks like our plans are similar too! Oooh yes, a visit to Trader Sams for one or 2 of their cocktails would be another great addition. Thank you!

JA x

Old 26 Feb 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
For my wife's 40th we took a 1920s biplane flight from just outside San Diego, both of us could sit side-by-side in the front seat and the pilot was behind.
It was amazing!
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Hi. I celebrated my 40th last summer and had an amazing day. Opted for lunch at Carthay Circle which was fantastic. You can see photos etc in our trip report which can be found in our signature below. Hope that helps. Enjoy!

M x
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List