Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 May 18, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by foxhillsteve View Post
Hi, I've doing a similar thing in that I today received my portable Sunpass that I bought via eBay for my holiday in August when I fly into Miami, where I pick up a rental car with Dollar.

I'm going to register it this weekend, I've read it needs a US address for registration, not sure what I will put in, unless someone has any guidance (? Address of rented villa?.

I also planned to add the rental car license plate to the Sunpass app whilst picking up the car from Miami airport. I have a UK three SIM card and planned to use the app on my phone using this three SIM. I've read somewhere some people have trouble with getting a mobile signal in the car parking garage, this would seriously cause me an issue as I would not be able to register the license plate on the Sunpass app.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this with a three SIM card and had any issues/had no problem. Is there free WiFi in the car rental centre at Miami airport?
Hi
Word of caution. I think it takes some some time to register the license plate.
I set up an new account before I left the UK and my first use was on Thursday from MCO.
Registered the license plate on my SunPass account at approx 21:20 at Mco garage. Drove to the 27 on the 417. My SunPass account does not show the first 3 (? ) tolls only the last one at Celebration off ramp at 21:50.
I’m assuming I’ll be charged the toll fees for the initial tolls plus convenience fee as normal. I’m not too worried as it’s Hertz so only $4.95 plus tolls but it would be a toll violation fee with Dollar.
Next time I think I will enter the license plate and go back and get a coffee to give time to register.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ianc View Post
In my view you seem to be involving yourself in a lot of faffing around for little benefit.

The toll road is the Turnpike and only the southern section (Homestead Extension) has 'no cash' tolls. You either don't need to go on that bit, or it is easy to avoid. The cash toll will be about $20. The Sunpass toll will be about $15, to which you need to add the cost of your getting your own pass (plus time spent doing that) or the rental companies fee. For a return trip that is about $40.

If you follow ChrisS's advice and choose one of the 'no toll' routes, then you save $40. Furthermore, if you are staying in a villa, you are not likely to be going to Orlando, as in his example, but somewhere nearer Championsgate (which is not near the Turnpike). The journey time to there along the US27 is just under 4 hrs - only 12 minutes longer than the Turnpike.

Although the speed limit on the US27 is a bit less than the Turnpike, it is more direct, so a shorter distance, which is why the time is not much different. It has some traffic lights, but so does the Turnpike route before/after the Turnpike. Depending on what you are planning, most visitors probably won't be going on toll roads very much once in Central Florida.

The US-27 is my preferred route, which I've done myself. It is a good fast free-flowing 4 or 6 lane dual carriageway. The built-up areas it goes through are very small, not major conurbations with traffic hold-ups. Why waste $40?

Good advice. We have been to Miami a few times and have never used the roll roads. Easy to avoid.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldmember
Getting Excited

Mobile

I used my hotel address, i think any Florida address will do.
Goldmember is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We drove up,the 27 from Miami last year and will do the same this year. We used the sunpass once we got to Orlando and were driving to various places. I think the $19.95 that Avis charge (plus tolls of course) is a bargain and no hassle so worth it really x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
foxhillsteve
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi
I set up an new account before I left the UK and my first use was on Thursday from MCO.
Registered the license plate on my SunPass account at approx 21:20 at Mco garage. Drove to the 27 on the 417. My SunPass account does not show the first 3 (? ) tolls only the last one at Celebration off ramp at 21:50.
I’m assuming I’ll be charged the toll fees for the initial tolls plus convenience fee as normal. I’m not too worried as it’s Hertz so only $4.95 plus tolls but it would be a toll violation fee with Dollar.
Next time I think I will enter the license plate and go back and get a coffee to give time to register.
Alex
Hmmm never thought of that. Just assumed it would instantly update to the rental car license plate as soon as I added it online...

I've booked dollar so could be a problem with the violation fees...

Does the online Sunpass website show straight away when you have used a toll and the remaining credit?
foxhillsteve is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by foxhillsteve View Post
Hmmm never thought of that. Just assumed it would instantly update to the rental car license plate as soon as I added it online...

I've booked dollar so could be a problem with the violation fees...

Does the online Sunpass website show straight away when you have used a toll and the remaining credit?
Hi
Not as far as I can see, there’s now a few tolls on my account and they all have different posting dates and transaction dates ie transaction date of 17th but not posted on the account until the 18th
Difficult to work out easily when the vehicle was first used from the account. Will only know if I get a PlatePass charge on my CC.
I’ll also try and work out when and where my tolls were paid on my initial journey.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Hi
Alex
Thanks good to know. We are staying the first night in Miami so should be okay.
Old 26 May 18, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
foxhillsteve
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Hi
Not as far as I can see, there’s now a few tolls on my account and they all have different posting dates and transaction dates ie transaction date of 17th but not posted on the account until the 18th
Difficult to work out easily when the vehicle was first used from the account. Will only know if I get a PlatePass charge on my CC.
I’ll also try and work out when and where my tolls were paid on my initial journey.
Alex
Did you end up getting charged on your CC for plate pass?

Or did the Sunpass license registration online when you picked up the rental car work ok?
foxhillsteve is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Maybe it’s me but I don’t ever see the need for a sun pass. Most of the driving I do hardly takes you through any tolls and the one or two I go through are only a couple of dollars at most.

Certainly has been something the rental companies have been predictably pushing, but for a typical two or three weeks in and around the Orlando area I just cant see why you would purchase one.

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Regarding wi-fi signal at Miami Airport car depot... if you can't get a signal to register your hire car registration, go back on the Miami Mover to the main terminal. You should be able to access it there. It only takes about 10 mins all in.
The $4.99 transponder is a one time use only. If you intend reusing buy the $19.99 one BUT remember to take it with you when you hand the car back 😜

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List