Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaobsessed
Getting Excited

What would you/wouldn’t you do?

Hi
So we’ve booked our holiday this year, both mine and hubbys big birthdays so splashing out a bit more on a multi stop holiday.
Stop 1 - one night in NYC - can’t do loads in our time so just planning on seeing the sights... are there any must do’s that don’t take up too much time?
Stop 2 - 4 nights in Las Vegas, although we will only have 3 full days. We are planning on using one of our days to visit the Grand Canyon (bus tour) but we need ideas for the other days... so far we have thought a show - poss cirque and also the zip line over the strip..are there any other must do’s?
Stop 3 - 5 nights in San Francisco, planning on visiting Alcatraz, going on a tram, Golden Gate Bridge, hubby is a techie so Silicon Valley and possibly see a baseball game? Any other ideas?
Stop 4 - 6 nights in Anaheim, original plan was to stay here to visit Disneyland and then Uber to Universal, Hollywood, Warner bros etc but after reading on here should we get a car? Wa hoping to avoid it this trip if possible? What’s the subway system like over there? Would we be able to get round on public transport?
That’s it... never planned a holiday that has so many stops before, am used to unpacking case for two weeks before seeing it again! This will be an experience for us!
Thanks in advance xx
Floridaobsessed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi - is it all firmly booked?

I say this because it's borderline pointless spending one night in NYC - you're adding a lot of extra travel time for such a short period in NYC I'm struggling to see the benefit. Have you been before? Where are you staying?

Vegas - with one day at the Grand Canyon (awesome! ) you can fill the rest of your time just wandering up and down the Strip - the hotels are attractions in themselves!

Five nights in San Francisco is a good long time. We enjoyed: Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge cycle, just walking around to see Lombard St etc, Walt Disney Family Museum, Presidio, riding the street cars/trams, Fishermans Wharf/Ghiradelli Square. You can do lots of day trips from San Francisco too.

I'm not aware there is any public transport from Anaheim to downtown LA. There are tour buses you can book. A car might be better than uber as the price could be unpredictable if traffic is awful (I speak from painful experience).
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

I don't think you could stay in Anaheim and rely on public transport to get into LA. It's a reasonable distance and takes time with traffic too so not sure if Ubers would end up expensive. We have had a trip where we stayed in Anaheim and drove to LA, but if you're going to have a couple of days doing LA based things I would stop there on your way from SF, then move on to Anaheim for Disney
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi would drop NY if possible, shorten San Fran and LA by 1. 2 days and spend 3/4 night Monterey and PCH
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaobsessed
Getting Excited

It is all booked. We added NYC because our flight involved a changeover at JFK and having never been there before we didn’t want to land and take off without seeing it. Honestly not that bothered about needing to stay any longer than the one night but wouldn’t be keen to revert back to the original plan of just using it as a changeover.

That’s good to know about public transport. Think I’ll look into a car for the Anaheim stay. Don’t really want to add on any more hotel stays so although I may live to regret it think I’ll just drive myself round LA. I mean how bad could it be? I tackle traffic every day to and from work!
Any ideas for what to do in each place would be appreciated x
Floridaobsessed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Merligan
Very Serious Dibber

Merligan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds fab.

For Alcatraz, if possible I would opt for an evening tour. It’s fantastic in the say but I would love to go again in the evening as that would add something even more special to the experience.

Pier 39 is worth doing and if you go, walk around the back of the buildings on the left to see the huge, and very smelly, seals lying on wooden platforms, it’s quite a sight.

Xx
Dibb Villa July 2012 Dibb Villa Sep 2013
Dibb Villa Sandy Ridge March 2015
Merligan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Floridaobsessed View Post
It is all booked. We added NYC because our flight involved a changeover at JFK and having never been there before we didn’t want to land and take off without seeing it. Honestly not that bothered about needing to stay any longer than the one night but wouldn’t be keen to revert back to the original plan of just using it as a changeover.

That’s good to know about public transport. Think I’ll look into a car for the Anaheim stay. Don’t really want to add on any more hotel stays so although I may live to regret it think I’ll just drive myself round LA. I mean how bad could it be? I tackle traffic every day to and from work!
Any ideas for what to do in each place would be appreciated x
Bad typically 2 hrs each way into La from Anaheim and that’s on a good day ..

Splitting your stay will lead to having a far better time ..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Hi I had one night in New York a few years ago. The usual sights like Empire State Building etc can take some time to I wandered from my hotel to Central Park via 5th Ave then went shopping, and at some point had a look at the UN. It was my second visit and I’d been before but I enjoyed it. With one day I would decide on one area and see that.

LA you would need a car, I think the quickest we have gone from Anaheim to LA was an hour but I think we were lucky that time. That said we would not stay in 2 locations ( in 3 visits we haven’t) and just avoid rush hour where we can. That said the first time my husband drove in LA he was a nervous wreck but has got better. We tend to cluster our LA day into a long day so he can minimise the driving. Our first trip we stayed in the Sheraton Anaheim and I know they did trips to universal studios so there is something instead of driving but the subway is really just in downtown.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 01:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

So you could rely on public transport in LA but it might be a bit of a faff but is doable.

Anaheim to LA (Union Station) is really easy with Amtrak and from there it's easy to switch to the metro to get to both Hollywood snd Universal Studios (if needed). From downtown LA you can also get the metro out to Santa Monica.

However a car is probably more practical and would allow you to visit the Orange County beaches.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 03:57 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd suggest ditching the bus tour and switching it to thesightseeing plane which isn't much more, the coach is endless to the GC and back.
You land after some awesome views and are driven into the Canyon, are fed and then return . Plenty of time for photos and you won't be wiped out the next day.

Edited at 03:59 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List