Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Quick Avios question

So, booked through TA, rang them to get a BA flight booking ref so that we can choose seats now. I've logged on, all fine. BA asks me if I have signed up to Avios and that I can earn 4420 pp on booking. So i've just signed up. Can I use these points to pay for the seats on my current upcoming flight, or will these points only be available for future use?
Sorry if its a silly Q, but thought I'd save some ££ if I can use now.
TIA
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

The Avios will only be credited after you have taken the flight, so no, you can’t use them to pay for seats on your upcoming flight.

Make sure you sign everyone on the booking onto the BA Exec Club, and if you all live at the same address, you can create a household account and pool Avios for future use.

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Thank you Peko, I thought as much but thought I'd ask just in case!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Whisper
I have Ears

Mobile

You’ll need a lot of avois for money discounts.
We saved £200 with 45,000 avois points!
Whisper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
thisismickey
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
You’ll need a lot of avois for money discounts.
We saved £200 with 45,000 avois points!
Strange, I did see a post that had 5000 points for £100 discount! I guess it all depends on when you fly?
thisismickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by thisismickey View Post
Strange, I did see a post that had 5000 points for £100 discount! I guess it all depends on when you fly?
Yup, it varies dramatically depending on the time of year.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve got an American Express (British Airways) credit card which earns Avios points on all my spending. I pay it off every month to avoid interest.

I buy petrol in Tesco and have those points converted to Avios.

To me, this is free money and when added to existing points from previous flights I save £200 on my flight.

I travel solo so I’ll never amass enough points to pay for a whole flight - probably no further than a couple of hundred miles !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by thisismickey View Post
That offer was limited as part of the celebration for BA's 100th birthday for long haul travel in WT and WTP. I think some DIbb members managed to get a good fare.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
billbarbara229
Imagineer

We just got rid of all ours because there is never anything available,u less it's short haul 24 BOTTLES of not bad wine bye bye BA
billbarbara229 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I’ve got an American Express (British Airways) credit card which earns Avios points on all my spending. I pay it off every month to avoid interest.

I buy petrol in Tesco and have those points converted to Avios.

To me, this is free money and when added to existing points from previous flights I save £200 on my flight.

I travel solo so I’ll never amass enough points to pay for a whole flight - probably no further than a couple of hundred miles !
I'm glad that you see it as "Free money" but, of course, it isn't really.

Instead of using your BA AMEX card you could use an AMEX cashback card - earningyou 0.5p per £ spent. Therefore in reality, due to opportunity cost, each aviosis costing you 0.5p in lost earnings. The same logic also applies to the Clubcard points that you are converting to Avios - they have value when used against clubcard deals or as discount coupons in Tesco.

I use an AMEX gold card and convert to Virgin Miles. When redeeming against flights I have to get value of over 0.5p per mile otherwise I am losing money against using my cashback card.