Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jan 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Lightbulb Anaheim to Orlando

I am new to the forum so apologies if something similar has been discussed in a previous post but has anyone or does anyone know someone who has visited both Disneyland and WDW within the same holiday?

My idea was to fly to California with hire car and spend a week including Disneyland and some other bits, and then fly to Orlando and spend two weeks in and around WDW. If anyone has anyone advice it would be greatly appreciated, not sure if this would logistically be a nightmare or if it is actually quite straight forward.

I have visited WDW previously and my partner has been to Disneyland before so we should know our way around. I am not aware of any websites that would provide packages like this, I normally book everything independently anyway. My only concern is the luggage situation for three weeks including an internal America flight.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

There's a trip report running at the moment, its called 'Two Disney nerds go coast to coast' take a look at that, they flew into Orlando and then flew to California but will give you an idea of what they managed
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Welcome to the Dibb!

I've contemplated this before, but this was when United was flying directly from where I am to the US using LAX as a hub (they have since stopped their LAX service and now use SFO as a hub from where I am).

Some quick thoughts about this:

1) Flights. Not sure the best way of booking your flights - I would guess either an open jaw (flying to LAX, then flying from MCO) with an additional domestic flight booked in the middle, or a multi city with one of the American carriers flying to LAX, then LA area airport to MCO, then MCO back to the UK via a hub somewhere. One thing to note is that the best airport for Disneyland is SNA, as it is the closest with the least traffic. Burbank airport is also quite close to Disneyland. LAX is of course an option but it is just on the other side of LA from Disneyland and traffic is known to be bad between LAX and Disneyland sometimes.

2) Park tickets. Disney increases their ticket prices continually, and if you are visiting both DL and WDW in one trip then you would have to buy two separate sets of park tickets. The only ticket type that gets you entry into both is the Premier Passport AP, but this is insanely expensive...

3) Luggage situation - check the baggage allowances for the airlines, as well as the cost to add on additional bags if you exceed your baggage allowance! If you are booking the domestic flight separately then check how much they charge for baggage. You can always do laundry halfway through the trip to lighten up on the clothing you need to carry.

Personally I think it's not that complicated to do both DL and WDW in the same trip provided the flights work out - just that it will be expensive!
Old 1 Feb 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Flight prices might not be too bad if you book it as a multi-city round trip, that's usually cheaper than booking all the flights separately. But do make sure you check the luggage allowance on each leg.
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Hi,

We've just booked this.
It wasn't planned though.

Basically we booked with Virgin using our miles and they totally screwed up and accidentally cancelled our return flight home and then it was no longer available. (I won't go in to that as it's a long on going argument with them).

Long story short, there were loads of available flights home from Orlando though.
So we ended up booking LAX - ORL.
We then have 7 nights in Orlando and then home.

This cost us 40'000 less miles that our original plan and cost us $5 extra each for the domestic flight with Delta (we have 2 teens).

We know we will need to pay for luggage on the domestic flight.

We have a 5 day pass for Disneyland and we've just bought a 7 day pass for Disneyworld, but plan to upgrade to an annual pass out there and come back next August to Orlando.

We've booked card hire for both trips with Discount Florida Car hire who is great!

I hope that helps.

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
hawki
Imagineer

I did this in 2017 & doing it again this year as we loved it so much!
I booked everything separately myself, starting in Anaheim as its furthest away, we flew Thomas Cook Premium Manchester to LA.

Stayed at Grand California renting DVC for 5 days, then flew Delta to Orlando using my Virgin airmiles which cost us £4.40 each in tax & paid $25 each for luggage. There's lots of flights to choose from, I think American were cheaper if I had to pay, & there's several flight, a day.
We didn't bother with a car in LA after hearing how bad the traffic is & just wanted to do Disney. I think uber would be easier than renting a car.

Rented car through Alamo Brits & stayed at Port Orleans for 2 weeks then flew home using Virgin Airmiles upper class, which was 47500 miles each & £450 in tax.

You can fly out with Thomas cook to LA & back from Orlando with Thomas Cook. Virgin also fly out to LA as well now from Manchester, not sure where you are?

We didn't have any problems with luggage for 3 weeks, really enjoyed planning this trip & cant wait for next one!
Port Orleans Riverside - 2011,2012, 2014,2015,2016,2017 RPR 2015,2016,Grand California,POR & HRH 2017 DLP Newport Bay 2018 Sequoia Lodge 2019 Grand California,HRH CSR 2019

Edited at 07:20 PM.
hawki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’re looking at doing this next summer. I’ve done a dummy booking for this summer with BA customised trip - seems fairly straightforward. This also includes a flight from LAX to MCO with American Airlines, and SUV rental whilst in Orlando. I think we’ll fly back from Miami, as this will land at Heathrow, rather than Gatwick.

We’ll probably do 5 nights at Los Angeles, and then 16 days Orlando. Just debating whether we’ll need a car in Los Angeles. The hotel we’re considering is a Disney Good Neighbour hotel and opposite the park, so it’s only if we want to go anywhere else that we’ll need a car.

Really excited, and can’t wait to be able to start planning properly.