Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Feb 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Car upgrade with BA

Just called to get a quote to upgrade my car hire from Group V (minivan) to group Z or L.

I was told Group Z is £355 and L is £400. Compared to the prices I have seen on here for upgrades (including people being refunded!) I'll think i'll leave it, do you think it will cost a lot to upgrade at the airport?
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I think that on the whole airport upgrades are expensive.

But, there can be bargains and a lot depends on the pressures on certain categories on the day. If they are short of the class you have booked it's in their interest to get you upgraded cheaply.

I have been offered an upgrade with Alamo for $10 a day for any class. That is from Standard SUV up to a Lincoln Navigator. The Manager was bowled over when I declined.

Yes it sounds cheap. Multiply it by 28 nights, add tax, add airport user fee and all of a sudden it's a lot!

However, time is on your side. Keep an eye on BA car hire prices with Avis and if they drop give them a ring again. Thats what I would do.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 01:45 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I think that on the whole airport upgrades are expensive.

But, there can be bargains and a lot depends on the pressures on certain categories on the day. If they are short of the class you have booked it's in their interest to get you upgraded cheaply.

I have been offered an upgrade with Alamo for $10 a day for any class. That is from Standard SUV up to a Lincoln Navigator. The Manager was bowled over when I declined.

Yes it sounds cheap. Multiply it by 28 nights, add tax, add airport user fee and all of a sudden it's a lot!

However, time is on your side. Keep an eye on BA car hire prices with Avis and if they drop give them a ring again. Thats what I would do.
Thank you so much for this, sorry to be thick but how do I check? I got a fly drive package so any idea where and how I would check please?
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Does your fly drive invoice from BA break the total cost down into flights and car hire?

If it does take the car hire amount then do a check on BA for car hire only and see what is showing. Maybe dearer, the same or cheaper.

If cheaper I would be on the phone to them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Does your fly drive invoice from BA break the total cost down into flights and car hire?

If it does take the car hire amount then do a check on BA for car hire only and see what is showing. Mayb be dearer, the same or cheaper.

If cheaper I would be on the phone to them.
Thank you for this I'll do that.
Old 11 Feb 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been looking at changing ours too from a minivan to a full size suv and like you I’m with ba and avis, I’ve not rang them yet but was hoping it would be free or there abouts!
glenandem is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
I’ve been looking at changing ours too from a minivan to a full size suv and like you I’m with ba and avis, I’ve not rang them yet but was hoping it would be free or there abouts!
Can you let me know how you get on, what prices you get please.
Old 12 Feb 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have had some surprisingly good minivans from avis from the pick row.
Not all T&C's. That said we had a top of the range T&C last time with under 500 miles on the clock. The kids loved the space ...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
We have had some surprisingly good minivans from avis from the pick row.
Not all T&C's. That said we had a top of the range T&C last time with under 500 miles on the clock. The kids loved the space ...
Do you get a choice I thought someone said they have one picked out for you. If you do get a choice what would you recommend? I know nothing about cars.
Old 12 Feb 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Normally I have a car allocated but you can also see what else is in the pick row. My DH goes for externals / newness, kids like fittings and I tend to go for nearest / biggest as I am pooped by then. DH always used to say no T&C's (town and Countries) but the last one we had was fab. Think the new model Pacifica's are better though.

It depends how many of you there are and how many cases. With four large adults and 1 child a minivan was fine incl luggage (4 full size cases plus significant hand luggage - bit squishy with all luggage but otherwise fine). That's us though, it depends what you want or need.

Edited at 02:19 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List