Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Feb 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mellyie
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Passport expires 2 days after return flight!

So we have just discovered husbands passport will expire 2 days after our return flight from Orlando, his passport is Spanish issued so not possible to get renewed before we fly (there’s a 8 week waiting list to get an appointment at the consulate) we have our esta and have read up on the “6 month club” so from research I know we are technically ok,but has anyone ever flown with a passport so close to expiry? Encountered any issues?
Mellyie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Mobile

Weather 1 day or 2 days or 3 months. It's all the same, just needs to be valid until your return.
2 days is close if there was ever airspace closure like an ash cloud or flight cancellation or airline bankruptcy, but as if they will ever happen.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sorry but wouldn't risk it having being delayed at least 3 times coming home from Volcanic Ash Snow in the U.K. To a terrorist alert and oh the best one the aircraft is in the wrong position 2 of those coming home from the Us and all were 3to 5 days extra before we got home
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mellyie View Post
So we have just discovered husbands passport will expire 2 days after our return flight from Orlando, his passport is Spanish issued so not possible to get renewed before we fly (there’s a 8 week waiting list to get an appointment at the consulate) we have our esta and have read up on the “6 month club” so from research I know we are technically ok,but has anyone ever flown with a passport so close to expiry? Encountered any issues?
When are you flying. If after brexit date it could be an issue if we leave without a deal as technically he would need 6 months to come back into the UK as a non UK EU citizen.

Let's hope the politician sort this mess out...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mellyie
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

We fly May 4th so after Brexit, we rang the Spanish consultant for advice and they said we “technically” shouldn’t have any issues as his passport is valid for the length of stay..but as you say who knows what will happen after March 29th. I’m in full panic mode now!
Old 22 Feb 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We fly May 4th so after Brexit, we rang the Spanish consultant for advice and they said we “technically” shouldn’t have any issues as his passport is valid for the length of stay..but as you say who knows what will happen after March 29th. I’m in full panic mode now!
Hi

I presume you have some sort of residency papers as he’s a Spanish citizen living in the U.K. I live in Spain and we have residency cards. The foreign office here have advised us that in the event of a no deal Brexit ( as that’s the only scenario where this could be an issue, but I doubt it) If U.K. citizens are travelling to and from Spain to the U.K. that we should carry our residency card with us. You will be ok with the USA just take some documentation to prove residency when returning to the U.K.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

If you are not travelling until May is there not enough time to get one? You mention 8 weeks, how long after the appointment does it take for the passport to arrive? If it’s a couple of weeks after then obviously there isn’t time but if you get it the same day, then I’d get a new passport ( You’d obviously need a new ESTA).

However having said all that, if you can’t get it changed I’d take a deep breath and try not to worry about it as worrying is not going to fix anything. Other than a couple of hours delay here and there, I’ve never been delayed days and days and I’ve travelled all over the world. Yes delays happen and ideally you would have had longer on your passport in case this situation occurs but you don’t.

Hope all that makes sense. ☺️
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If there is not enough time to renew it then there isn’t much you can do unless you are prepared to write off the holiday or plead with the embassy for an earlier appointment.

Take a deep breath and hope for the best, and take as much evidence of residency as you can for the return leg. The difficulty will be getting on the plane if the worst comes to the worst, with evidence of residency (and marriage to a Brit Cit) Border Control in the UK will be reasonable.

Probably worth checking out the process for applying for a Spanish emergency travel document in the States so you know what to do if you need to. Remember people lose their passports all the time (well not all the time) and still get home.

Oh and make sure you have really good travel insurance. I’m sure they will argue but any cost will be as a result of a delay so they should pay-maybe!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mellyie
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Thanks, I spoke to Thomas Cook (our airline) this morning and they said as far as they are concerned we are fine to fly as his passport is valid for the duration of the trip, which is currently all that’s needed They did advise to bring his residency information for the return leg just in case!
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thanks, I spoke to Thomas Cook (our airline) this morning and they said as far as they are concerned we are fine to fly as his passport is valid for the duration of the trip, which is currently all that’s needed They did advise to bring his residency information for the return leg just in case!
That’s good. Enjoy the build up to your holiday and try not to worry.☺️
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List