Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have a north /west facing garden. We get sun but it’s at the bottom of the garden. We have our seating area at the end of the garden.

I previously have had an east facing garden and that was always cold and we wouldn’t have one again, but I find north ok. Not perfect but acceptable.

What’s to the side as that would be affect your shade as well.

Edited at 04:27 PM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We have a north /west facing garden. We get sun but it’s at the bottom of the garden. We have our seating area at the end of the garden.

I previously have had an east facing garden and that was always cold and we wouldn’t have one again, but I find north ok. Not perfect but acceptable.

What’s to the side as that would be affect your shade as well.
Yes to the left of the house is empty, there is a road and a stream so no houses being built to the left.
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

probably sounds silly but I am pretty sure my garden is north facing and its not too bad and I am a sun outdoor addict!. We have a patio down the bottom of the garden and it has sun majority of the day in summer, and sun in other bits of the garden throughout the day. the rooms at the back are slightly darker of course because of this but not a great deal, whereas the front room and main front bedrooms are always very sunny and too hot at times in the bedrooms. Also as an added plus as it isn't a south facing garden we can have a heated conservatory without it roasting unbearably in the summer. I have had no issues with planting things either , everything grows well. Reading this makes me wonder if I am even north facing
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Our garden gets the sun pretty much all day being south to south west facing. It can be too hot at times but as someone else said we can make shade (we have sails we put up). I don't think I could have a north facing garden and will definitely consider this if we move. The plot you're looking at does look like it might get late afternoon evening sun over the side, depending on what is to the side? You could maybe put the patio at the end of the garden but how much sun you get would depend on how high the sun was.
Orlando 2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My mum’s garden is north east and she spends a lot of time outside. It looks as though you are clear on one side so there is nothing obstructing your light which will help. My mum reads and paints in the garden and manages to grow a multitude of plants and she is in Scotland!
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

It's a shame we aren't due a sunny day as you could have gone to the house to see where the sun is in the sky at a given time.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
probably sounds silly but I am pretty sure my garden is north facing and its not too bad and I am a sun outdoor addict!. We have a patio down the bottom of the garden and it has sun majority of the day in summer, and sun in other bits of the garden throughout the day. the rooms at the back are slightly darker of course because of this but not a great deal, whereas the front room and main front bedrooms are always very sunny and too hot at times in the bedrooms. Also as an added plus as it isn't a south facing garden we can have a heated conservatory without it roasting unbearably in the summer. I have had no issues with planting things either , everything grows well. Reading this makes me wonder if I am even north facing
Mine is definitely north facing, we are not sunworshippers but last summer we found it was fine. We also have a conservatory and use it all year round. However we have fields on 3 sides so nothing else to stop the sun or cast shadow except the house. We did look at another house with a north facing sloping (away from the house)garden and it was so dark and cold with shadow cast from other houses around it. We liked the house itself so much that we viewed it several times at different times but just could not reconcile ourselves to the garden. How much is built around the plot you want? Don't totally discount it, visit again at different times and see how you feel. Good luck xx
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

My last house was North East facing and fine- the front used to get really hot and wouldn’t have been a deal breaker for me at all. Sun rises in East abs sets west so we did get used to when the sun would be there. We are South facing now and it wasn’t the reason for purchase.
I do notice on your plan though some houses at the rear left which could create a bit of a shadow however so factor this in too🤔
I think buying a house is soooo much more complicated - I really wouldn’t let this stop me if all other variables are ok.

Edited at 04:45 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Our back garden is north facing (lived here 37 years) and over the years we have landscaped it to take advantage of the light and shade available. Like others we have our patio/bbq away from the shade of the house to give us a lovely sunny area in the afternoon and evening. Having mixtures of sun and shade allow us to plant a wide variety of plants (including shade lovers). Of greater importance to us are the trees in neighbours’ gardens that, as they mature, can affect the amount of direct sunlight we get. Even a south facing garden can be seriously influenced by the planting of neighbours directly behind.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

your plot has almost the same orientation as my house, which is probably slightly more north facing than yours is (assuming that the picture you linked to is following N-S-E-W orientation).

In the summer months, like May, June, July, we get early morning sun on the rear of the house maybe until about 10am and from then on we get no direct sun on the rear facing wall, but we do get sun in the garden. In the high summer months it can be quite sunny, but because of the positioning of our garage we don't get the best of the evening sun. Considering that you have no buildings blocking the sun in the afternoons and evenings, I would think you would have quite a nice sunny evening through most of your garden, especially at the end where you might consider putting a patio or decking, or along the side of your garage where you could have a lovely sunny spot in the evenings. Its just that you won't have direct sun on the house itself.

Personally, I wanted a south or west facing garden, but we loved the house and the area so we went for it. If it was not for our garage, I dont think north facing would bother me at all, but the garage blocks a lot of light from our garden which is not a problem you will have, it seems.

Just know that you will get little to no sun in the winter months, though, but maybe that wouldn't bother you if you won't be sitting outside.