Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 21, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Newbie2021
New Poster (4)

£7000 budget do-able?

Hi all ,
First timer booking Disney here (went once when I was 12 - 35 now!).
Before I get obsessed with reading these threads, is my budget realistic?
2 adults, 2 children (7 and 9). 14 nights. Don't mind if stay on or off-site. Happy to hire a car or use local transport. Disney world parks only (magic kingdom, blizzard beach etc). Only must is it must fall in school holidays due to work (either Easter or summer).
Would appreciate any advice from those who have done Disney on a budget.
Thanks
Newbie2021 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Bonny Scotland
Very Serious Dibber

Bonny Scotland's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
is this including your spending money ?

p.s welcome to the Dibb

Edited at 12:19 AM.
Bonny Scotland is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

likely costs:
Flights £2000-£2500 and upwards
Villa £1500 and upwards
Cheapest onsite accommodation £2000 but then you wont need a car
Tickets £1700
Car £600 (you will need this off site)

Food will vary - cheaper to eat off site, we always self cater quite a bit too. Really depends on what you prefer - you can have a pretty decent meal at somewhere like Dennys for $40 all in...

edited to say - if in school hols you will be more flexible in summer - best flight prices often leave mid week. If you're willing to do an indirect flight you can save money but not everyone's cup of tea especially with children.

Edited at 12:35 AM.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ukman
slightly serious Dibber

I think it is doable, if you can catch the flight right. We have done that same with 6. But as mentioned above spending money may be a problem. Remember doing 2016 staying at seralago for 3 weeks for £748. Got indirect flights for just under 400 per person. Had gotten a car rental for about 1k through a new company. Summer 2016 was our cheapest but times have changed.
ukman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ukman View Post
I think it is doable, if you can catch the flight right. We have done that same with 6. But as mentioned above spending money may be a problem. Remember doing 2016 staying at seralago for 3 weeks for £748. Got indirect flights for just under 400 per person. Had gotten a car rental for about 1k through a new company. Summer 2016 was our cheapest but times have changed.
Yes you could save on accommodation - I reckon you could do somewhere like the Seralago for £300 a week - no kitchen though if you wanted to self cater at all, but good budget accomodation.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would look at Easter or better still, the end of August, returning just a day or so before the return to School.

key costs:
Flights £2000-£2500 and upwards. A saving can be found by doing indirect or multi centre with a couple of nights in, say New York on the way in.
Villa I have been many times and never paid more than £500 per week at Easter or late summer with a pool (I use Holidaylettings.co.U.K.). I don’t pay for pool heating.
Tickets £1700
Car I search exhaustively and generally hit less than £400 for a focus size with decent insurance (CDW etc).
Carparking. $25 a day when at a park.

Food. We always breakfast in the Villa and take a backpack into the park with a frozen water/juice up each side and sandwich boxes up the middle. The crisps go on top of the sandwich boxes. Walmart are our choice of food.
We eat out every late afternoon and have a spreadsheet prepared of all the happy hour type deals before going. We typically eat at Bahama Breeze, Longhorn, Cheesecake Factory, Yardhouse standard and with the odd one in Golden Coral because the kids like it. We never buy theme park meals other than maybe once at rainforest cafe, regarding the prices as extortion.

These prices may be thrown higher in the next year as pent up demand post Covid is met. There are plenty of businesses that have had lean times and that are well aware of potential customers holding their 2020 vacation money and possibly even their 2021 money in their bank accounts. That is why my next one is a California Road trip with only two park days in Aug of this year and the next one, a yet to be determined New England and across to Chicago drive. I am staying well away from Orlando for a couple of years at least!

When calculating your 7k outlay, don’t forget to take into account the money that you are not spending at home, Food, living costs, fuel to work, parking, costs coffee etc etc.. all the expenditures that you don’t normally think about!

Hope it helps.

Edited at 08:42 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldcoast
Excited about Disney

If you hire a car, don't forget to budget for parking.
Goldcoast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Also worth considering a hotel on I drive that offers free transfers to Disney and universal.

No need to hire a car then so no hire cost or parking costs as well as hundreds and hundreds of restaurants to choose from.
Mad Hatters is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Wallefan
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve paid £6000 with British Airways for the end of august this year staying onsite and includes tickets. This was not the cheapest option either they had lots of good hotels in the Disney Springs area for less.
Adding other parks is where it would add on the £££
Old 16 Feb 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

The end of August would be a good choice with your dates, Easter is usually very busy due to the spring break period in the US.

Flight prices tend to be cheaper at the end of the school holidays here, opposed to the end of July.

If free dining returns, which seems unlikely, then onsite may be worth looking at as all your meals are included and you wouldn’t need to hire a car or work out transportation. However, without the meal plan included I would look at staying in a hotel on I drive that offers a shuttle service to the parks and use the shuttle and Uber/Lyft for transportation if you want to visit the malls, I drive restaurants or City Walk at Universal. The car sharing services are easy to use and I feel they work out cheaper than hiring a car and paying the fuel and parking costs. It also takes the stress out of having to drive in a new place for the holiday.

For meals, look at the chain restaurants offsite and sign up for vouchers before you go. If your birthday is in the date you go (this isn’t checked 😉 ) you get extra coupons for a birthday treat in many of the restaurants which last for a week or so, meaning you can get a birthday treat for a few days too. An Uber trip to a supermarket to stock up on bottles of water, drinks and snacks for the room and to take into the park will save you money in the long run.

I would say your budget is possible but try not to fit too much in. It’s unlikely that you could do Disney and Universal tickets for that budget and, for a first trip I think that’s cramming too much in anyway. Many people feel they need to visit Kennedy Space Centre, Seaworld, drive to the beaches etc This all adds a lot of extra cost and there truly is plenty to do just at Disney especially with the ages of your children.

Welcome to the Dibb, there’s lots of advice on the guides and forums here. Also lots of friendly Dibbers happy to share our advice, opinions and experiences so you can ask anything and will get many replies. I do hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday 😀

Edited at 09:49 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List