Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 23 Sep 13, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post

"Disney bans disabled people from skipping lines because too many able-bodied visitors are cheating"

Hope I'm posting this is in the right place

"Currently, visitors with special needs can get backdoor access to rides or go through the exit and wait in a shorter line but the legendary theme park claims that approach has been 'problematic'.

The theme park will now issue tickets with a return time and a shorter wait to park-goers unable to join regular lines. The decision is partly to crackdown on disabled 'tour guides' who charge to accompany able-bodied guests so they can cut queues.

The new policy takes effect October 9 for guests who have park-issued disability cards."

dailymail/news/arti...-visitors.html
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

What surprised me most about this article is the comments from readers. Not one of the 30 or so I read think Disney is wrong on this.

Maybe those that do aren't posting for fear of being flamed?

My only thought is that I feel for those who genuinely need the FOTL access, its a shame its been spoilt by those who don't.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Several threads on this already.

It is time for a review of this system as one size does not fit all.

I also don't think the situation is helped by it being called a front of the line pass as that wouldn't be fair for every one.

The system has been abused so action has to be taken.
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
My only thought is that I feel for those who genuinely need the FOTL access, its a shame its been spoilt by those who don't.
Quite, but sadly this kind of freeloading seems to happen whenever help is offered to genuinely disabled people.
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
What surprised me most about this article is the comments from readers. Not one of the 30 or so I read think Disney is wrong on this.

Maybe those that do aren't posting for fear of being flamed?

You're surprised daily mail readers appear to be intolerant and reactionary ? !
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post

I hadn't heard anything about it before. The article says: "The past few years has seen the rise of disabled 'tour guides' who charge sometimes hundreds of dollars to accompany able-bodied guests so they can cut queues...".

Hundreds of dollars? Is it really worth that much to someone to cut a queue? And there would have to be one disabled person per able bodied person wouldn't there? (Or doesn't it work like that?)

If so, if it were a couple or a family wanting to cut queues, they presumably would all have to have a "disabled tour guide" each. I am amazed that this practice is so widespread that Disney have now changed their rules.

Edited at 12:36 AM.
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
paulrae
Imagineer

paulrae's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JP13 View Post
You're surprised daily mail readers appear to be intolerant and reactionary ? !
Lol nice.

As someone who needs a GAC or Guest assistance card they are by no means a front of the line pass and I worry just how much this will impact my ability to enjoy my time in the park. I can' even beginning to think how it will impact guests with austim as my friends son for example just stopping is a major issue...Wonder how Disney will spin this

2008-DVC - OKW, Animal Kingdom &SSR then OKW-VERO-AKV- 2009,HHI,SSR,THV 2011 OFfsite Villa - 2014, 16
paulrae is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
paulrae
Imagineer

paulrae's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hopefully they will police the new system better, so the people who need extra assistance will get the help.

2008-DVC - OKW, Animal Kingdom &SSR then OKW-VERO-AKV- 2009,HHI,SSR,THV 2011 OFfsite Villa - 2014, 16
paulrae is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

How does Universal deal with guests with disabilities?
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JP13 View Post
How does Universal deal with guests with disabilities?
Pretty much like Disney are changing to I think.

"Present this Attraction Assistance Pass to the greeter at the attraction you would like to experience.

If the posted wait time is LESS than thirty (30) minutes, you will be directed towards an alternative-queue. This may be the Express Pass queue, the attraction’s exit, or possibly a different route.

If the posted wait time is MORE than thirty (30) minutes, the greeter will indicate a specific time to return to that attraction on the reverse side of the pass."
Closed Thread