Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Nov 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
travelgirl
Excited about Disney

travelgirl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Duty free

We usually travel direct from Manchester with virgin or Thomas Cook, but this time due to Thomas Cook collapse we had to fly with Lufthansa via Frankfurt. My question is we are travelling with hand luggage only and want to buy some dutyfrees at tampa on the way home, when we get to Frankfurt will it be ok to take them on our flight back to Manchester. Hope some one know the answer don’t want to get them taken off us.
Old 6 Nov 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
eastendpar
Excited about Disney

eastendpar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
From Money Supermarket Expert

Warning! Connecting flights at a European airport? Your duty free may be confiscated.
WARNING!

If you're flying outside the EU and have a stopover on the way back you need to be aware that any duty free liquids over 100ml will be confiscated! Remember the following to protect your cash…

Why is this allowed?

Although we are clearly told at check-in that liquids greater than 100ml are not allowed in hand baggage it’s not so clear that this also applies to items purchased after you have been through check-in, including duty-free alcohol and perfume.

This is not a problem if you are flying direct but if you need to transfer flights in a European airport the additional security checks means you'll have anything purchased outside of the EU (excluding Singapore since Jan 08) that is over 100ml in size confiscated at the connecting airport.

What is and isn’t included?

Liquid duty-free items can only pass the European security check if they are in an approved tamper-evident bag. Yet, as these bags are only issued in European countries or Singapore, everything purchased elsewhere does not comply and hence can't get through. It’s hoped other destinations will follow Singapore and have their security verified, although it’s unlikely this will ever apply across the board.

Who is responsible?

Whilst there is obviously no problem with the security regulations, the problem is that duty-free retailers are still selling to passengers needing to transfer in Europe without warning them about this, and airline check-in staff don't mention it either. This suggests that no-one is taking responsibility leading to £1000s being wasted and tons of duty-free being binned every week.

What to do about it

Unfortunately this is a case of forewarned is forearmed as there does not seem to be anyone to complain to after the event as you will see from my personal story later on.

If you need to transfer flights within the EU the best thing to do is not to buy duty-free liquids unless they come in a tamper-proof bag, and even then make sure it's approved for EU travel.

You might not be making a big saving anyway; It’s often just as cheap to buy perfume online, avoiding any confiscation problems, and the free weekly MoneySaving email often includes good booze deals such as the 40% Thresher voucher, Free Budweiser and £5 Woolies Champagne.

Now a little personal note...

I asked Martin if I could do a note on this, as it happened to me earlier this year when I flew back from Cario via Amsterdam with KLM airlines.

As a MoneySaver I thought I’d be saving money when I bought a couple of bottles of booze and a 200ml bottle of aftershave for around £60 but it was all taken off me in Amsterdam

I didn't know that i'd have to go through an additional security check at Amsterdam having already done this in Cario, I didn't know that liquids had to be in a tamper proof bag, and no one told me until it was too late.

When I got home I wrote to complain to KLM. I had paid it for a service and felt let down that the check in staff knew I would be transferring planes but failed to warn me of any issues. KLM wrote back denying responsibility and actually said I should complain to security in Amsterdam, who were in no position to warn me before I bought anything and were actually just trying to keep me safe.

KLM also said that the rules about hand luggage were freely available and its website was kept updated with information about the regulations but could not point me to where, in fact i have found little information anywhere about the problem during my research.

I've been left with the conclusion that no one wants to help and will try and pass the buck, as KLM did, so if my warning can save MoneySavers having the same problem that would make my £60 loss a bit easier to bear.

I'd be interested to know what MoneySavers think about this. Did you know about it and if so how? Have you had goods confiscated? Did you complain? Who to? What was the response?
eastendpar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

I made this mistake once and never again. Travelling from New Delhi I purchased some alcohol. All sealed and had to collect entering aircraft. No problems I thought as bag all sealed.
Arrived in Heathrow for transit to another aircraft up to the North East. Long story short, was frog marched back through to collect my case, had to put alcohol in case and re check in. Then all the faff of security almost missed my connection.
To rub salt in wound my case never made the connection and had to wait several days for it.
At no point when buying was I told not allowed, and the fact it was a sealed tamper bag made no difference
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Lynda__Loo
Proud to wear my Ears

We flew from Orlando - Amsterdam then Amstedam - Inverness this September. First leg was Delta, second KLM.

At duty free in Orlando we bought some bottles of alcohol and also a perfume and aftershave. Woman at the checkout put everything in a security sealed bag and told us when we were given the bag back at boarding it would be sealed and we were not to open it until Inverness or it would be taken off us and wouldnt get it back.

Got to Amsterdam and carried the bag onto or flight to Inverness with no issue at all, infact I dont think anyone even asked or even noticed the bag.
Lynda__Loo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List