Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 13 Sep 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

UK city break for shopping

I am looking to go on a shopping trip with my DD who is 14 during half term in October.

We live in NI so need to fly. My options are Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham & Newcastle.

Any recommendations on which one would be best? I have been to Glasgow and Manchester but not the others. I want somewhere we’re we can walk everywhere but has good shopping options for a 14 year old.

Thanks
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Leeds- some of the best shopping in the country, bars and restaurants etc. Aer Lingus direct flights to LBA. Very walkable city. My Irish clients love it and come over themselves now having been over to see me in a professional capacity.
I spend time in all the Cities you mention and prefer Leeds to all of them, but I’m possibly biased. It’s now supposedly got the best shopping outside London although Manchester will argue (Manchester much more sprawling). It’s better shopping than Brum where I go a lot, Newcastle is out of the race. I do like Liverpool, but have a soft spot for it having spent a lot of time there also. So if I had to chose it would be Leeds or Liverpool. Leeds is perhaps a bit trendier on the restaurant and bar side of things and has some fancier shops, Liverpool has a good waterfront.
Staying in Leeds is also a 20 min £8 return train ride from York so if you came for a few days you could hop on the train and do York Centre too for a day.

Edited at 03:56 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would opt for Liverpool. I have just stayed in the Premier Inn at Albert Dock with my 15 year old daughter. It is an easy city to walk around, the maritime museum and the Museum of Liverpool are both really good to visit. Albert Dock area is only 5/10 minutes walk from the shopping areas of Liverpool. There are lots of restaurants around the docks and a great selection of smaller eateries on Bold Street rather than all the usual chains. I like the shopping in Liverpool because it is mainly outside and isn’t contained in a shopping mall like the Manchester Arndale or Trafford. Huge Primark ! We shop in Liverpool fairly regularly even though I am a Manc myself !

Daughter and I are considering Belfast for our next girlie break. We are interested in the Titanic and really want to visit the museum.

We do also like Leeds. I think because I am from Manchester we never really think about going there !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I was also going to suggest Leeds before I saw your options. Great city for shopping. I do not like Newcastle-that's our nearest and we don't go. I would choose Manchester from that list

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Definately Newcastle, the shops and city are brilliant.
You also have the choice of the metro centre just a few miles from Newcastle with regular buses / trains between the two should you want to do that.
Newcastle itself has a good vibe and sure your daughter would love it.
Old 14 Sep 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

I would also recommend Liverpool Although I live in a Manchester borough I much prefer Liverpool for shopping but Glasgow is really great as well
Old 14 Sep 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

No where better than Manchester in my opinion.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Another vote for Leeds.
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Leeds- some of the best shopping in the country, bars and restaurants etc. Aer Lingus direct flights to LBA. Very walkable city. My Irish clients love it and come over themselves now having been over to see me in a professional capacity.
I spend time in all the Cities you mention and prefer Leeds to all of them, but I’m possibly biased. It’s now supposedly got the best shopping outside London although Manchester will argue (Manchester much more sprawling). It’s better shopping than Brum where I go a lot, Newcastle is out of the race. I do like Liverpool, but have a soft spot for it having spent a lot of time there also. So if I had to chose it would be Leeds or Liverpool. Leeds is perhaps a bit trendier on the restaurant and bar side of things and has some fancier shops, Liverpool has a good waterfront.
Staying in Leeds is also a 20 min £8 return train ride from York so if you came for a few days you could hop on the train and do York Centre too for a day.
Would agree with this. Having been to all except Glasgow.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

An other vote for Leeds. Also apart from a great town center you can easily get to York (think the fast train is under 20 minutes) and there’s a bus from the town centre that goes to Harrogate.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List