Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Oct 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

We had to let our Cocker Spaniel “Charlie” go on the 23rd October. If I was writing about him it would match your description almost word for word. He was 13 years 9 months.
Whenever you decide it will be heartbreaking. It was such a decline in the last 6 months. We only went down the drug route so he could have his last holiday.
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
When our dog Tess was 14 and a half she started to let go of her bowels we knew it was time to say goodbye’ one of the hardest decisions we have had to take. We asked the vet if we were keeping her alive for us or for her, the vet said we were keeping her alive for us. The decision was made, she gave us so much love and devotion for so many wonderful years ❤️ There is never a right time but you will know

Thinking of you

Jane xx
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

We’ve got two 13 year old Golden Retrievers and we know that with one in particular it’s getting tough. Both have hip dysplasia and are on Metacam. At the moment, they’re eating well and still enjoy their walks, even though they’re not far and stairs have become tough. I think for us the issue will also be one of dignity. If they cannot toilet properly any more, appear to be in pain and are distressed / confused, then we’ll have to decide if that’s the time. My heart goes out to you. It is utterly devastating to be in this situation.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I have had to make that call a number of times, and everytime it breaks my heart. The responsibility of deciding when its time to say goodbye is the hardest things ever. Sending you a huge hug x
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

I’m so very sorry, posts like this break my heart. I have two 13 year old cats and do worry about them.

You will know deep down when it’s time, sending you a massive hug today and thinking of you xx
Old 1 Nov 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

One of the hardest decisions we had to make this year. My boy hadn’t been well for about 6 months. I tried everything! He was finally diagnosed with Cushings but I could just tell by that point he’d had enough of feeling rubbish. His eyes told me 😢 he was constantly sleeping then stopped eating and that was my signal. I miss him more than anything 🐾. It’s true what people say when the time is right you will know xxx
Old 1 Nov 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
We’ve got two 13 year old Golden Retrievers and we know that with one in particular it’s getting tough. Both have hip dysplasia and are on Metacam. At the moment, they’re eating well and still enjoy their walks, even though they’re not far and stairs have become tough. I think for us the issue will also be one of dignity. If they cannot toilet properly any more, appear to be in pain and are distressed / confused, then we’ll have to decide if that’s the time. My heart goes out to you. It is utterly devastating to be in this situation.
Metacam is the other name for loxicom so mine is on the same thing.
He doesn’t appear to be in pain but his legs shake loads.
He has poo again this morning. Exactly where he was laid.
The vet thinks that he doesn’t know he is doing it all the time due to something with his spine and nerves meaning he can’t feel the poop as much as before.

Literally arguing every day now with hubby. He doesn’t think the quality of life is good enough.

I just feel like it’s not bad enough. I thought I’d be having to make the decision if he was in terrible pain etc.
Problem is we can only guess the pain. We give him the tablets and he is here but not always exactly himself. He loves sitting out on the garden all day and now it’s cold and wet he can’t do that either.

I don’t think I am going to be able to cope making this decision and then living with it. I feel like I will be haunted with what ifs forever
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

It’s such a hard thing to decide and I’ve had to make that decision before, so my heart goes out to you.

If an animal is incontinent, then they are going to to be distressed and their quality of life is not good. We left it too long with our first cat because we didn’t want to make the call and I regret it. With other animals, we have taken the decision with the vet’s advice and let them go before it got too bad. It’s the kindest thing you can do for an old friend.

Lots of love xxx
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m afraid I think it’s time. When an animal can’t control their toilet habits it’s the end of the road. Especially as they have been trained all their lives to go in certain places so when they soil their own bed it must be upsetting for them as they think they have done wrong. Dogs also don’t show they are in pain much so if they are not happy they are probably in pain.

The kindest thing you can do for a loved pet is to let them go xx
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I think it’s time
Our Westie, Monty had very similar issues and we put up with it for longer than we should have as we couldn’t face having him pts.
It’s one of the worst things we have had to do, I really do feel for you.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List