Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Nov 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I'm sure you had a similar post a few months ago so I'm sorry but I would agree with your husband that the time has come. It is not fair letting him suffer and there is no need to be haunted by the decision as you would be doing the right thing and letting him be painfree and at peace. This alone should help you take comfort that you have done the right thing. However painful it is for you your dog has to take priority at this sad time.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
I'm sure you had a similar post a few months ago so I'm sorry but I would agree with your husband that the time has come. It is not fair letting him suffer and there is no need to be haunted by the decision as you would be doing the right thing and letting him be painfree and at peace. This alone should help you take comfort that you have done the right thing. However painful it is for you your dog has to take priority at this sad time.
I did. It was mid August and hubby said he was terrible at getting up. We watched him from upstairs just collapse when he was squatting and fell in it all and we had to go pick him up cos he couldn’t do it himself. That’s still the worse day he’s had. He wouldn’t be with any of us that day. Wouldn’t or couldn’t even get up to get the treats off the kids which he has always done.
We had emergency vets that night and. They started him on tablets and the loxicom and he was loads better but we knew it was a matter of time.
He will still randomly come for a cuddle but it’s few and far between. He wants to go out but gets so tired.
I catch him looking so sad sometimes that I wonder if he is happy or not or is he just trying to keep going for us.

I’ve realised that it’s a decision I am going to hate, regret and over analysis no matter when we do it.

I’ve only ever been in my own house for 3 weeks without him. I feel sick even thinking about what we have to do and there are moments when he is completely himself and I think no we can’t do it then he will fall over or his leg starts to shake and he’s not quite himself.

I don’t think I will get over this. I am struggling already with all the other stuff in the world going on I really didn’t want anything else on top
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

Sending you love. Do what you feel is right xxx
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Metacam is the other name for loxicom so mine is on the same thing.
He doesn’t appear to be in pain but his legs shake loads.
He has poo again this morning. Exactly where he was laid.
The vet thinks that he doesn’t know he is doing it all the time due to something with his spine and nerves meaning he can’t feel the poop as much as before.

Literally arguing every day now with hubby. He doesn’t think the quality of life is good enough.

I just feel like it’s not bad enough. I thought I’d be having to make the decision if he was in terrible pain etc.
Problem is we can only guess the pain. We give him the tablets and he is here but not always exactly himself. He loves sitting out on the garden all day and now it’s cold and wet he can’t do that either.

I don’t think I am going to be able to cope making this decision and then living with it. I feel like I will be haunted with what ifs forever
If this was my dog I would have had him put down when toilet troubles started. The fact the vet said he doesn’t think he knows he’s doing it, signals to me a very poor life. It’s tough to make the decision but I agree with your husband, it’s time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

My heart is breaking for you. Last year our beagle started having difficulty peeing days before our first family holiday to Florida. Then the day after we returned she had a scan which confirmed bladder cancer. From that day to the day we put her down was utter hell. I thought about having to put her down each and every day, not that she needed it from the diagnosis, but because that's how my brain works. Just replaying the worst case scenario over and over again. I was a mess. My husband kept telling me to not think about it because she was "fine" for now.

About 5 months passed before she had to be put down, and when the time came I was more collected than my husband, I think largely because I had lived that hellish moment over and over, whereas he had buried his head in the sand a bit. The event itself wasn't awful, I mean, it was, but it was the right time. She was on metacam and gabapentin for the last couple of weeks before they just weren't working for her anymore. It was obvious she was in pain. And she'd stopped eating which for her was very unusual.

You will know when the time is right, and it will be a horrible day, but you owe it to him to do the right thing. And as time passes it will become easier to live with and you'll remember him fondly. Even as I write this I'm welling up because I miss my girl so so much, and I feel robbed because she was only (very nearly) 10. But she had the best life.

Sending you lots of love and strength x
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
LoopyLoops
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My son is a vet and advises his clients that it’s better a week too early than a week too late. Not easy though
LoopyLoops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

We couldn’t make that decision for our dog, but in the end he was so bad he stopped eating and drinking so he decided himself it was time to go, he died in my arms a few days later, I’ve never got over him going he was with me for 15.5 years
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Been thinking of you all OP and wondered if there was an update?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Been thinking of you all OP and wondered if there was an update?
Yes we have unfortunately booked him in for 10am Friday 27th.
He is still falling over badly. Still pooing in the house and my 6 year old has opened the kitchen door this morning so it was all over and she nearly stepped in it so I don’t think it’s brilliant for the kids either.
He also started snatching when offered a biscuit which he has never ever done.

I don’t think it’s a good quality life. He can’t walk far and when he does a little walk he’s worse for days. He basically sleeps in his basket for most the day and then he gets upset at the pooing.

I hate that we have to do this but I think it has come to that point
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Yes we have unfortunately booked him in for 10am Friday 27th.
He is still falling over badly. Still pooing in the house and my 6 year old has opened the kitchen door this morning so it was all over and she nearly stepped in it so I don’t think it’s brilliant for the kids either.
He also started snatching when offered a biscuit which he has never ever done.

I don’t think it’s a good quality life. He can’t walk far and when he does a little walk he’s worse for days. He basically sleeps in his basket for most the day and then he gets upset at the pooing.

I hate that we have to do this but I think it has come to that point
I really do know how devastated you must be feeling. We had to let our beautiful girl go. It hurts so much, but if its best for them then you are making the right choice. My thoughts will be with you on Friday. Sending lots of hugs x
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List