Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Nov 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Any kitchen designers ? Or ideas people ?

Ok , so we are considering getting a new kitchen

I have drawn a quick / rough overview of what it looks like below . We have a round dining table at the bottom of the picture

So you come through the door in the bottom left . The top is the window to the back garden - and on the right is a door ( never used) to the path down the side of the house

Now ideally I would like to put patio or small bifold type doors in place of the window

Now we have seen two guys - one was basically ‘ keep it as it is but fully renew ‘ , the other after originally suggesting the same , said we could have a load of units on the right hand wall , blocking up the door and a rectangular island in the middle incorporating a table and achieve our idea of the patio door at the top .

Something like this ( but much narrower Island )

Sounded ideal but I just can’t see how it would fit 😪

The room is 16 foot top to bottom , but only 10 foot 4 wide
So with a two foot set of units on the right , that only leaves 8 ft 4 across .
So even with a narrow 3 foot island , that would only leave say 3 foot 4 gap on the units side , and 2 foot at the left hand side

So basically , does anyone think that the island idea is feasible ?

And if not , how would you redo the kitchen?

Thanks for any advice

Current View from bottom left looking towards the top ( with added DW)

View from bottom left looking right

View from middle looking towards the left

Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 10:42 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Exciting! If you're going to block up the unused door on the right, you could consider more of a galley-style kitchen with some kind of patio door (rather than just a regular back door) at the end where the window is. With this in mind, you could have the dining table either end.

ksassets.timeincuk/wp/up...on-920x920.jpg

i.pinimg/originals/f7/15...16bf88dc4c.png

cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn/4W...2C-1200-80.jpg

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Interesting stuff. Please keep us updated including the actual build. I find such threads very interesting.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I don't think you have the width for an island unit unless you have a custom one made that you can move around the space. I'd have the units all down the right hand side wall and across the bottom end of the room. Maybe change the way the door opens so that it doesn't open into the room. That way you will have space at the top end to put French doors in.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Could you have a u shaped kitchen ( wall where current back door is and wall into rest of house) with breakfast bar and then table near new bifold patio doors.

You said the side door and back passage isn't used- could you extend sideways and add that space?
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I agree I don't think you have quite enough width for an island. When we got ours we needed 1m all around it. we have one and I think our kitchen was just under 12 foot.

Personally I'd go to someone like Magnet and ask them to design it. It's free and online and they'll come up with something.

If it fits with an island I'd block the backdoor and put the units under the window and along the door wall. If you have an island would you get rid of the table? It would look lovely if you could get it to fit.

Alternatively block the back door and replace as is. Only difference would be the tall larder unit on the left as you come in. I'd change to low unit with cupboard over as it's blocking the kitchen side of the room iyswim.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
How much do you want to spend? That's going to have a big effect on what you have.
Budget unlimited this is what I would do - have your kitchen along the bottom and right hand walls - block up the outer door and change your entry door to open the other way to make room for units. Put in your patio door and have your table at the other end of the room next to the patio door
This way your working kitchen is easily accessible, your view while you are eating is nice and the whole room will look bigger. But means you have to move the radiators, hob, sink etc. and that means probably taking up the floor for the drains.
Whatever you do, absolutely DON'T leave it as it is, the patio door idea is fantastic and will make your kitchen so much nicer and more up to date. Fitters who say "leave it as it is" either don't fancy the amount of work involved or think you can't afford the changes
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Bad news in my view. No way will an Island work as there just isn't enough room sadly

Islands are awesome. But there must be enough room to get around them. Even more so if you want stools as well albeit they may not be in your plan.

I always say break it down in to chunks
  • Create a scale plan with everything removed.
  • Then add in where you want doors to go if you are moving them
  • Then decide where you want the sink. No good having it for example on the left if the waste pipe cannot get to a drain on the right etc.
  • Then decide is a breakfast bar important
  • Finally consider where radiator(s) are going

Out of all that thought process a final plan will appear.

Plan 10 times, buy and fit once.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Bad news in my view. No way will an Island work as there just isn't enough room sadly

Islands are awesome. But there must be enough room to get around them. Even more so if you want stools as well albeit they may not be in your plan.

I always say break it down in to chunks
  • Create a scale plan with everything removed.
  • Then add in where you want doors to go if you are moving them
  • Then decide where you want the sink. No good having it for example on the left if the waste pipe cannot get to a drain on the right etc.
  • Then decide is a breakfast bar important
  • Finally consider where radiator(s) are going

Out of all that thought process a final plan will appear.

Plan 10 times, buy and fit once.
I agree. I desperately wanted an island, but in the end had to opt for a peninsula. My kitchen/breakfast room is 20’ x 10’ and was too narrow for an island to work properly.

Life is full of compromises and my kitchen simply was not wide enough. (Excuse the mess).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:49 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

My kitchen it narrow but long - it suits how I wanted it with sink in the middle and hob near it and ovens on other wall - it didnt want or need an island as it open up onto the dining space but I have butchers block I can wheel into the middle between the ovens and hob/sink - use as I need then wheel it back to the wall when I dont.

This is stock photo of mine to give you an idea of what it could look like in your space

cotswoldco/kitchen-f...yABEgJ7NfD_BwE

(Great company - I have used for some furniture recently and its well made good British stuff)

Still new to me and yet, for obviously reasons , yet to host a supper party here when it will be tested to the full it I think it will work for me and my kitchen 🤞🏻maybe worth thinking for you into your small kitchen.

Edited at 09:53 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List