Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 May 03, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

California and the Golden West - Day 4

Heather and Rick’s
California and the Golden West Tour 2003

Saturday 26th April 2003

Pheonix – Grand Canyon – Williams, Arizona.

Up early again today, this time woken by the alarm. Perhaps we have finally beaten the jet lag! Our bags have to be ready for collection by 6.00am (or so I thought), as we have an early start today. We have a buffet breakfast again today at 6.10am and are ready waiting for the coach at 7.00am. I have made a mistake – much to Rick’s delight – and I have not read my notes. The coach does not leave until 7.30am, so we are half an hour early. The weather today is sunny and looks set to stay this way.

We have front seats today – Titan operate a seat rotation system. You move in a clockwise direction each day, moving on two seats each day. The coach finally leaves at 7.30am, after Kevin – our coach driver – inviting me to drive – much to Rick’s horror. We are on our way the Grand Canyon…. At last!

Our first stop of the day at 10.30am was at Senora in the Verde Valley – a local artist colony. The gateway to the Grand Canyon. We have 1 hour to purchase our picnic lunch and to look at the local shops.

At 11.30am we set off again passing through the Coconinc National Park/Forest. Our journey continues, passing through Flagstaff. In the background we see the San Fransico Mountains all covered in snow, the highest peak being Mount Humphries.

We stop at Tucaysan to board our helicopter for our flight over the Grand Canyon. We have to be weighed, in order that the helicopter in balanced. It is very windy here and quite cold, although it is sunny. The view, when we finally fly over the rim of the Canyon is breathtaking, aweinspiring, out-of-this world. There are not enough adjectives to describe the sight of the Grand Canyon as we fly over. The Canyon is 1 mile deep, 18 miles across and 277 miles long. The flight is very bumpy, due to the wind. The pilot said that this was normal – the Canyon gets very windy the clearer the skies get. After our 40 minutes flight we set off again in the coach, through the Grand Canyon National Park and finally set out onto the southern rim of the Grand Canyon. The view is beyond words. We have our picnic lunch just gazing and taking in the view.

We finially have to leave the Grand Canyon at 5.15pm and make our way to Williams, located on Route 66, and our hotel the Mountainside Inn, an hours journey away.

We have dinner that night at Miss Kitty’s, the hotel’s restaurant. The Canvey couple join us in the restauant for a dinner and dance. The hotel’s owner, sings Country and Western songs during the meal and invites us to dance on the small dance floor. At 9.30pm we move into the bar area and join in with the Karaoke session that is just about to start. We go back to our room at 11.00pm – a very enjoyable day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 03, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post

WOW - Would love to do that- a helicopter over the Grand Canyon, sounds like a wonderful day
Old 18 May 03, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Sounds like an amazing day

I would love to see the Grand Canyon some time.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 03, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

An amazing day.To get to see the Grand Canyon And a lovely end to the day with as nice meal and a dance
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 03, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
The Grand Canyon is a must do on my list
Sounds truly amazing.
Old 19 May 03, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

I would love to do the trip over the Grand Canyon - not sure about the being weighed bit though! Mind you - I can understand the reason behind it!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 03, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post

The view, when we finally fly over the rim of the Canyon is breathtaking, aweinspiring, out-of-this world. There are not enough adjectives to describe the sight of the Grand Canyon as we fly over.
Know what you mean, it really is amazing. We are doing this again on our trip in October and part of the deal is to go white water rafting on the Colorado River which runs through the Canyon.

Sounds like you are having a fantastic time
Old 25 May 03, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

I have to agree with you that there aren't enough adjectives to describe the Grand Canyon. It was an experience that I will never forget, I would love to see it again.
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List