Old 16 Aug 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Love the look of polite pig salmon and love gg breakfast, we are doing it again this time.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Loving your report so far, looking forward to seeing how you find Homecomin’ as it’s one of our favourites. I can confirm that the Gideon cookies are amazing - we did manage to pick one up at about 3pm one day (they had 2 left) so just pop in if you’re passing as you might get lucky 🙂
Old 17 Aug 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

I was still stuffed from breakfast and was conscious of having a 430 dinner reservation.

So lunch consisted of using up snack credit and one out of pocket cocktail!

I started with a Tipsy Ducks In Love cocktail from China tea stand. I enjoyed this but unlike last time it was served with no cream. Not sure if this is a recepie change or they had just run out, but the cream definitely added to the drink.

The kids both had peanut caramel apples from Karamel Kutch in Germany, after Minnie visited Ana and Elsa. We got them cup up this time and they are so much easier to eat.

I also got a pecan caramel squares to take away. This currently sat in the room😣

Our first 3 SC used😊

The kids then had a Primavera each from Italy. This is a frozen blend of strawberry, banana and peach nectar. It was lovely and really refreshing. It is also a beautiful colour and matches Minnie dress which she liked.

The kids had a Mickey pretzel ( each- they could easily off shared) with cheese sauce from America and James had a Destroyer punch. This is non- alcoholic punch with orange, pineapple, lime and grenadine. He enjoyed this, it was a bit tart for my taste.

Minnie had a ice cream from France. There were so many lovely flavours. She went with-
Candid peanut with peanut butter chocolate fudge in a cone.

We then walked over to the board walk to get a cab to collect the car( yeh!) from Disney Car Care so Noah got a sorbet from Ample Hill. He chose King of Mango.

Ample hill offer 2 scoops and choice of cone for a SC. This was huge.

Not a very balanced lunch but we did use 10 snack credits up! 😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'

( Minnie photo!)

I was so looking forward to this one.
We arrived at 420 for our 430 reservation, checked in and waited outside to be called. We were told we would be seated in a minute or two.
At 4:45, we went back in and asked how long it would be ? We were then seated straight away on a table that was still being cleared.

We then waited and waited for our drinks order to be taken. There were lots of staff but no one near our table. The kids were hungry and thristy and Minnie had started on the emergency snack ( that i always have- she gets super hangry!)

By 5:10, i went to the counter and explained that we wanted to order drinks and both kids were really hungry. James had also spoken to a wait staff by the time i got back.

To be fair on the staff they dealt with this really well. We had food and drink orders taken within minutes and the kids food was out 10 minutes later. Our came 20 mins later. The manager came and apologised and explained there was a shift changeovers and our table had got lost.
He was personable and lovely with the kids and us. They gave us Minnie dinner complimentary ( as we were paying oop for her) and offered both James and i an extra cocktail in the house. He also brought Minnie extra crayons which she was delighted with.
You cant fault a manager and team who deal well with a complaint and it turned the experience around for us.

So onto the food.
Minnie had chicken tenders, chips and Mac chesse. She gave this two thumbs up and cleared her plate within 10 mins.

Noah had the fried chicken and donuts. He swapped the mash for chips. He loved the chicken with the maple syrup and he made a good dent in this but didn’t look manage the fries or much off the donut.
The manager suggested taking the remaining chicken back and having it with a fried egg in a sandwich for breakfast. Apparently the chicken is better the next day. An idea for any of you in a villa, not so easy in a hotel room.

I had the Fried Cat fish which came with hushpuppies, grits, and a side of remoulade. This was huge. I gave one piece of fish to James. Tried the grits, which were more pleasant and buttery than I expected. I can never get my head round what grits are but was glad i tried them and it felt like they were done well. The hushpuppy was good.

James had the grilled Mahi & Shrimp
with a creamy citrus sauce, roasted sweet potatoes, and braised kale and collard greens. This was fantastic and I wished i had ordered this. James said the sweet potato and collard greens were particularly good and after tasting i would agree.

Both of our fish were really well cooked.

I had the Moonshine Mash to drink,
Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup
This was served over ice and was super strong and small.

James had The Local RumHaven coconut water rum, lime, simple syrup and fresh pineapple. This was really nice. James definitely ordered better than i did tonight.

Noah has a virgin -Honey Lavender
Fresh strawberries and raspberries muddled with rosemary lavender vodka,( not for him) lemon juice, honey syrup, and garnished with rosemary and a lemon twist. This was lovely. I had the alcoholic version for my second drink and think the virgin version was better.

Minnie had orange juice and we all drank lots of water.

We were all too full for dessert so ordered them to go. We got one each of the Hummingbird, Shine and Auntie's Chocolate Cake.

The kids and i had some of the chocolate and hummingbird cake before bed.
The candid pecan in the chocolate cake were amazing and the cake its self was super chocolatey.

It reminded me of the cakes my Mum would make using the Betty Crocker packet mix with the tub of icing for various family birthdays. Dense chocolate and super sweet. ( sorry Art)

The hummingbird cake is fantastic and I'm so pleased as had high hopes.
The pineapple in it add a little sharpness and the cream cheese frosting is amazing. I will definitely try the recipe at home.

Overall i really enjoyed Homecomin' and would return ( and order what James did). It was a shame that we had a rocky start but it can happen anywhere and the manager and staff were great in dealing with it. We all left feeling positive, with very full tummy’s and a bag full of cake!
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
We’re doing Garden Grill breakfast for the first time this year, mainly to get on Soarin’ without a FP. Looks like it works!
Well worth it. I would suggest being at Epcot for 7:40 to be one of the first families seated. This makes for a much more relaxed breakfast and you can enjoy the food.
Old 17 Aug 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Love the look of polite pig salmon and love gg breakfast, we are doing it again this time.
The Salmon is so good and im not normally a salmon fan!
Old 17 Aug 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jennieg2 View Post
Loving your report so far, looking forward to seeing how you find Homecomin’ as it’s one of our favourites. I can confirm that the Gideon cookies are amazing - we did manage to pick one up at about 3pm one day (they had 2 left) so just pop in if you’re passing as you might get lucky 🙂
Lucky you! We will keep trying! 🍪🍪
Old 17 Aug 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Chef Art Smiths looks good, I had to have the chicken there. I had something similar to Max, but I had mine with grits, which was a new experience for me. I took the doughnuts to go.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Food looks delicious, I’m pleased the manager made your experience a good one in the end.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I dream about those candied pecans I had them in the salad as well when we were there. If only you could order a bowl full 😬