Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Aug 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile Help with cat cone?!

Hi.
So, as a bit of background, I have a 15yo British short hair, who has cancer in her ear (she has sort of cauliflower ear which has developed cancer). Given her age and breed, the vet doesn’t want to operate to remove the ear canal as it’s unlikely she’d make it out of GA / recover well.

So we had a check up today, willow (cat) is fine in herself. Has a few off moments where her ear irritates her, but on the whole her meds have been working perfectly.
The vet cleaned her ear out for us today, which has caused irritation - queue on the drive home, willow scratching the ear and cutting it open, pretty badly. Cat carrier, cat, car and OH covered in blood. So we’ve had to put the cone of shame on her, but she’s really not coping well at all. She keeps falling over, won’t eat and generally seems incredibly annoyed by the cone.

So I was hoping some knowledgeable dibbers would have some advice for us to see if there’s anything else we can do!
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Do you have the hard plastic type?
Maybe try the inflatable or soft collar type cats like comfort
Babygrow with the scratch mittens built in /arm cuffs sewn shut just cut out tail area etc
Don't know if they do a cat medical recovery vest with legs
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by storm View Post
Do you have the hard plastic type?
Maybe try the inflatable or soft collar type cats like comfort
Babygrow with the scratch mittens built in /arm cuffs sewn shut just cut out tail area etc
Don't know if they do a cat medical recovery vest with legs
I had considered an inflatable cone but didn’t know if it would work to stop her scratching her ear...
o hadn’t thought about a baby grow! I’ll see if that could work. Thank you!
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

We bought a a suit for our cats off Amazon because o this exact same reason, It was made for cats which included leg/mittens to stop them scratching, also had the back end cut out for tail and so she could do her business, took her a while to get used to it, a lot of flopping about, but after a few hours was pretty much back to normal.
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
We bought a a suit for our cats off Amazon because o this exact same reason, It was made for cats which included leg/mittens to stop them scratching, also had the back end cut out for tail and so she could do her business, took her a while to get used to it, a lot of flopping about, but after a few hours was pretty much back to normal.
Ill give that a search and see if I can get her one!
We took the cone off this morning, it was just causing her so much stress and she hadn’t eaten or had a drink since we put it on - queue taking it off and it was like we hadn’t fed her for a week!
I’m going to nip to the shops on my lunch hour and see if I can get some premature baby socks to do over the weekend until I order something.
I did try to put little satin bags over her back feet but she wasn’t having any of it!
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Could you also get her claws clipped? Might help if she does manage to get to the area but less likely to do damage?
Disney Bear is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Bear View Post
Could you also get her claws clipped? Might help if she does manage to get to the area but less likely to do damage?
Funnily enough I did ask the vet to clip her nails - I had a look last night and he only clipped the front ones, which obviously isn’t helpful for the scratching scenario!
I might see if I can take her somewhere to get the back ones done, I don’t think I’d be confident enough clipping them myself
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arosiem View Post
Funnily enough I did ask the vet to clip her nails - I had a look last night and he only clipped the front ones, which obviously isn’t helpful for the scratching scenario!
I might see if I can take her somewhere to get the back ones done, I don’t think I’d be confident enough clipping them myself
Fair enough if you're not confident but it is very easy.
We always clipped both our 2 cats front & back claws at home.

One of us cradled them & held them out with their paws & claws out facing the other person who clipped with the cat claw scissors we bought at our vets; you can see the blood supply thin red line on the claw and always made sure to clip below that.

Never had a mishap and after the first time, both cats knew it was nothing to worry or freak out about.

Edited at 08:58 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Fair enough if you're not confident but it is very easy.
We always clipped both our 2 cats front & back claws at home.

One of us cradled them & held them out with their paws & claws out facing the other person who clipped with the cat claw scissors we bought at our vets; you can see the blood supply thin red line on the claw and always made sure to clip below that.

Never had a mishap and after the first time, both cats knew it was nothing to worry or freak out about.
I might try. She’s a huge fidgeter and doesn’t like being held though, so I’d have to figure out a way of doing it whilst she was sat on me. She squirms massively when she’s held haha.
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arosiem View Post
I might try. She’s a huge fidgeter and doesn’t like being held though, so I’d have to figure out a way of doing it whilst she was sat on me. She squirms massively when she’s held haha.
One of ours was a massive wriggler too; really disliked being held/cuddled.

However, holding her with her back to my chest with one hand under her bum and the other hand holding out her paw/claws seemed to minimize her wriggles and allowed DH to clip her nails.
Worked better if we stayed standing too.

Good luck!

Edited at 10:40 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List