Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jul 12, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
barnyard
Excited about Disney

Wdw hotels, advice please!

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times we were going oct 2013 with our children and our friends. However one of our friends has a severe phobia of flying and now feels it maybe too much to go to Florida if we go with them we are having a villa but if it's just the 4 of us we may go to a Disney hotel!

We have previously done a villa but never ventured to the Disney hotels. Can anyone give me advice on which hotel to look at? I don't want the bottom end, unfortunately I'm a little picky but don't have the big bucks to back that up, so while I want quality I'm not on an open budget

And do any of the hotel rooms have a washing machine (I know I dont want much do I ) would like to keep packing to a minimum so washing clothes would be a bonus!

Anyway sorry for rambling thanks for any advice
barnyard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post

The stand out option would be Saratoga Springs or Old Key West if the discounts are included for next year again (Special offers usually come out late August/September 2012 for 2013)

This year you were getting 45% off accommodation plus free Dining Plan. A great deal and it worked out less for us than staying in a budget hotel.

A friend just returned from Saratoga Springs with her family and they had a fantastic time. The accommodation is more like apartments with a studio/1 bedroom/2 bedroom. Whatever suits your needs. The studio has a washing machine/microwave and small fridge. The larger apartments have a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

All the best. I hope your friend works out her phobia everyone should experience Florida at least once in their life!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We've stayed in the Carribean Beach resort and Port Orleans Riverside in the past both of which are moderate resorts. Both have lovely theming and a choice of pools depending if you want to be in the thick of it or favour a 'quiet' pool for some chill out time.
We're going back to Port Orleans in Sept next year as that is our favourite
We love being able to take the boat down to Downtown Disney in the evening for a nice meal - makes a for a relaxing change from the Disney buses (although they are great for getting around the parks)

Sorry to hear your friend feels the flight would be too much. Oct 2013 is still a long way off - can't he/she build up to it slowly? Would be shame to miss out on the Florida fun!
2010- Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific
2013- Saratoga Springs/Portofino Bay
2015- Saratoga Springs/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2017 - Beach Club/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2018 - Las Vegas and Florida East Coast
2019- Los Angeles and Las Vegas
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 8
And do any of the hotel rooms have a washing machine (I know I dont want much do I ) would like to keep packing to a minimum so washing clothes would be a bonus!
The rooms at CBR & POR don't have washing machines as they are more like hotel rooms than appartments but washing machines are available on site. If you're looking for appartments with kitchen facilities you're probably better to look at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs
2010- Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific
2013- Saratoga Springs/Portofino Bay
2015- Saratoga Springs/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2017 - Beach Club/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2018 - Las Vegas and Florida East Coast
2019- Los Angeles and Las Vegas
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
coulty47
Apprentice Imagineer

We have stayed at OKW with the full kitchen etc.. But this time we are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter , they have washing machines/driers by the pool and we used to put the washing in, lounge around the pool and then collect it on the way back to the room. We have 4 children with us 9-16 and found OKW a bit quiet for ours as it has no food court. If you get good offers on the OKW/SS (we got a free upgrade from CR ) then compare them resorts with the moderates..
coulty47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
barnyard
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone this really helps! Would love for us to be going with our friends as I want them to experience the magic but it's doubtful nothing like seeing someone experience the magic for the first time
barnyard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Stayed at OKW last year in a 2 bed, it had a full kitchen with washing machine and dryer. The 1 bedroom villas also have a full kitchen and washer and dryer. If you stay in a studio you don't get a full kitchen or a washer dryer but ere are plenty of laundry rooms around the resort .
It was absolutley fantastic staying here and we are staying again next year , I would look at the offers which give you free dining and a percentage off room price, as other posters have stated this should be reintroduced in the next few weeks/ months
I have 4 children and they range from 4 - 16 , we never found it quiet , thee were lots of games and activities around the main pool everyday. There isn't much options for CS credits though , but SSR has a food court, if this was an issue it may be worth looking there

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA

Edited at 11:12 AM.
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
For a far cheaper onsite option than the DVC suites mentioned above you could stay at the Dolphin. Some excellent deals and IMHO the best onsite Disney hotel.

Check our the Starwood site for special rates.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 12, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

I would go for OKW or SSR but even the budget Disney hotels are lovely so I wouldn't worry about quality. I'd just go for whichever one you like the look of and can afford.

2008 - POR, 2010 - OKW & HRH, 2012 - OKW & HRH, 2013 - SSR, 2014 - OKW & HRH, 2015 - SSR, YCR & PBH, 2016 - OKW & Disney Dream, 2017 - OKW & PBH, 2018 - AKL
sparks1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 12, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The problem with persuading your phobic friend to go is that if it turns out that the flight to Florida was a horrible as s/he expected then s/he won't enjoy a minute of the holiday for worrying about the trip back.
Port Orleans and Coronado Springs are my favourite moderate resorts.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread