Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Information about living people is private on Ancestry and you can change the privacy level on your tree.
support.ancestry/s/art...y-Tree-Privacy
Thank you - that’s reassuring to know!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Since I posted this I’ve made a start by contacting two of my Dad’s cousins to ask for information. Both have sent me a wealth of information including photos, documentation, and previous searches. I did have to laugh when one of them showed Irish heritage and reminded me of Mr Tom Morrow’s warning!
I am starting to get a little overwhelmed with details and wondering how best to record them. I haven’t committed to using either Ancestry or the other one...Find my ? (Can’t remember the name) but also want to record details off third party websites with subscriptions so I always have access. So, what do you use?
Is it a case of paper files and folders? Do you keep records digitally and if so are there any recommendations for which programme to use?

Edited at 11:28 AM.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I subscribe to Find My Past and completely agree about the amount of information which I also find overwhelming. I started by keeping a Word document on our PC with rough notes, and I think I’m going to back to that. My plan is to have a ‘story’ for each person which details what I know about them and also include photos and their immediate tree. I want to be able to pass the information to my niece one day and she’s already interested in what I’ve found.
Old 8 Jan 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
Since I posted this I’ve made a start by contacting two of my Dad’s cousins to ask for information. Both have sent me a wealth of information including photos, documentation, and previous searches. I did have to laugh when one of them showed Irish heritage and reminded me of Mr Tom Morrow’s warning!
I am starting to get a little overwhelmed with details and wondering how best to record them. I haven’t committed to using either Ancestry or the other one...Find my ? (Can’t remember the name) but also want to record details off third party websites with subscriptions so I always have access. So, what do you use?
Is it a case of paper files and folders? Do you keep records digitally and if so are there any recommendations for which programme to use?
We use Ancestry.com but others are equally as good.

If we find a really complicated issue I type it up in Word, save that to a folder on the PC but also post it in the 'gallery' for the person concerned. Plus you can open up a drop down menu in 'facts' for the person and put info in there. For example you could put a Ruby Wedding date or Exam results. Basically whatever you like.
Dont be shocked by the headings they have though!
I was ok with the Bar Mitzvah heading but thought the Circumcision one was a bit too much!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

I use the Family Tree Maker software to record my family tree (there are others). You can keep notes and add scans of documents against individuals. It also links to Ancestry and Family Search (another useful site), and offers hints against individuals you have added to your tree.

As for paper - I keep ring binders with the actual certificates, documents and photos I have collected along the way and organise by individual

You will find what works best for you.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 01:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

“Luckily, Mr Tom Morrow, my sister in law has done my husbands Irish side so that’s there for the kids if they ever need it!”
This statement has come back to haunt me! I have found that on my Dad’s side, my Grandma’s Grandparents down her maternal line are both from “Queens County, Ireland - which is now known as Laois and is about 20 minutes away from where I live! And her Grandmother on her paternal line was from “Ireland” with no other information. She was also a widow in the last census I found her with an only child aged 10 who I can’t find a birth certificate for. I have ordered two marriage certificates for her (I think!) and the son (my Grandmother’s father). But I fear brick walls! Any tips for searching in Ireland?
I’ve achieved quite a bit since being on here. I’ve joined my local family history society which is amazing. And I’ve done a two week trial with Find My Past and found loads. I’ve also started recording everything on Legacy - which is a great free piece of software recommended by the family history society. My Mum has also been through some of the box and found loads of useful documents, including her Grandparents wedding certificate! Photos haven’t really happened yet!
As I said before, I also got a lot of information from two of my Dad’s cousins which has proved helpful.
I’m really enjoying it, but it really is addictive!
Old 11 Mar 21, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

As previous posters said sometimes it’s hard to ensure accuracy on a paper trail.

I would start with ancestry DNA and then look to build your tree in line with the trees of your matches. You will have thousands likely.

You can search through your matches trees and find the different lines etc and match that alongside the paper trail as you go. Also much easier to find out where DNA and paper trails deviate.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
“Luckily, Mr Tom Morrow, my sister in law has done my husbands Irish side so that’s there for the kids if they ever need it!”
This statement has come back to haunt me! I have found that on my Dad’s side, my Grandma’s Grandparents down her maternal line are both from “Queens County, Ireland - which is now known as Laois and is about 20 minutes away from where I live! And her Grandmother on her paternal line was from “Ireland” with no other information. She was also a widow in the last census I found her with an only child aged 10 who I can’t find a birth certificate for. I have ordered two marriage certificates for her (I think!) and the son (my Grandmother’s father). But I fear brick walls! Any tips for searching in Ireland?
I’ve achieved quite a bit since being on here. I’ve joined my local family history society which is amazing. And I’ve done a two week trial with Find My Past and found loads. I’ve also started recording everything on Legacy - which is a great free piece of software recommended by the family history society. My Mum has also been through some of the box and found loads of useful documents, including her Grandparents wedding certificate! Photos haven’t really happened yet!
As I said before, I also got a lot of information from two of my Dad’s cousins which has proved helpful.
I’m really enjoying it, but it really is addictive!
Ahh, welcome to the problems with searching on Irish records.

You have a massive head start as you live there but it's still a long hard journey. There isn't much help I can give you regarding searches for those records as we have hit a number of brick walls. Our saving grace is my Wife has a Cousin who has a contact in Ireland and she has given some very good information that isn't online but is fully verified by her Relatives. Without that we would be stuck.
But sometimes 1 little piece of information does fit the puzzle and away you go.
I just wish Irish and Scottish records were as well kept as the English and Welsh ones!
You do need to be aware that in the mid to late 1800's Children would suddenly appear on an Irish Census and further research will show there is no record of their existence at all. The reason is they were taken in and their surname changed. Now where they came from nobody knows and unless it's been passed down the generations you will never find out as it wasn't officially recorded anywhere.
Kind hearted but a research nightmare!

Finally this will show how 1 person can create 100's of others for your tree. I am researching him as we speak as he is the stepson of father-in-law of uncle of wife of great-granduncle. Whatever that relationship means!

11th November 1905 Queensland Victoria Newspaper cutting-
Mr. XXXX a Queensland colonist of over 50 years standing, died at XXX on Saturday, aged, 77 years.. He arrived in Victoria in 1851 Mr. XXXX left 100 descendants to the fourth generation, 50 of whom are residing at XXX

How many are there now over 100+ years later.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ahh, welcome to the problems with searching on Irish records.

You do need to be aware that in the mid to late 1800's Children would suddenly appear on an Irish Census and further research will show there is no record of their existence at all. The reason is they were taken in and their surname changed. Now where they came from nobody knows and unless it's been passed down the generations you will never find out as it wasn't officially recorded anywhere.
Kind hearted but a research nightmare!
I imagine the Great Famine in the mid 1800’s and the desperate poverty stricken times in the years after saw many children, whose parents had died or couldn’t provide for them, taken in by kindly neighbours.
Very sad ☹️
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
I imagine the Great Famine in the mid 1800’s and the desperate poverty stricken times in the years after saw many children, whose parents had died or couldn’t provide for them, taken in by kindly neighbours.
Very sad ☹️
I very much suspect you are right. Also happened in Scotland in the same era.