Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jan 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
I've spent time around a fair few professional sports people (mainly rugby and football) and well known journalists/commentators and rarely come across anyone 'unfriendly' .

My fave is Scott Quinnell - funny guy and always willing to chat.

Met Will Young a few times and he's always been polite

OH met some of the Dr Who cast back in the Matt Smith era in a pub in Cardiff and said they were awful 😂
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

[QUOTE=Snowball18;14789035]I work in F1 testing the teams for COVID and have been lucky to meet and test -

This would be my daughter’s dream job!
No idea where it’s come from but she is F1 mad. No one else in the family has any interest, feel sorry for her when she is trying to share her enthusiasm.
Good to hear they are all nice.
Tillyfloss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I once walked smack into Timmy Mallett in Birmingham city centre, in the old outdoor market area. He was filming something, I wasn't concentrating on my surroundings, and I marched straight into him! He fell about laughing, he was absolutely lovely, I was mortified, lots of apologies and laughter later and off I went about my business.

We were on holiday in Singapore (to watch the first F1 race from there), and lots of the racers were doing events around town. We happened to be cutting through a shopping mall to get to the MRT station (their underground train system), and spotted Nico Rosberg appearing at a fenced-off event. We stopped to look, and when one of the organisers heard our English accents, he invited us in! We met Nico and he was an absolute sweetheart, so polite and well-spoken.

I used to work as a theatre programmer in different venues in the Midlands. One of the rudest people I ever met was Robert Powell. I think he resented being well known for being in The Detectives and was more interested in swanning about as a big film star. We were hosting "An Evening With ….." that night, and he was the star. Grumpy sod.

Delightful people I spent many a happy hour chatting with were Richard Digance, (who told me about his daughter Poppy "becoming a woman" that day, I think he meant she had started her periods!), the late Jon Pertwee, (who was "my" Doctor Who, and hugged me when I told him that!), Brian Blessed, (he was there to do a talk about mountaineering, and when the theatre had closed and everyone but me had gone home, he stayed with me in a locked building for 2 hours drinking coffee and chatting!), and the late Sir Terry Pratchett - I had met him several times before as I was a fan of his work, then when I worked in a small arts centre, I managed to book him for a writers' event I was running at the time. He was lovely, and had all the time in the world for his fans, with a wicked sense of humour.

I also bumped into Craig Charles at a sci-fi convention once, he was on his way to the loo and told me where he was going in more detail than I needed! Being a fan of Red Dwarf, I was pleased to meet him, though, and he was really funny. I had also booked Norman Lovett, (who was also at the convention) to host a night of Q&As at the arts centre previously, and he remembered me when I met him at the convention!
Old 11 Jan 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Early in Lockdown, my team played a game where you had to list famous (or semi-famous) people you had met, and throw in one you hadn't actually met so people could guess which one, it's fun!

On my list - definite favourite was Stephen Mulhearn. We saw him at Butlins and joined the queue to get his autograph; if you brought a magic box, he would sign it too. When my son (who was 5) came in he got all nervous as Stephen was his hero, put the box away and asked me for a penny then asked Stephen to sign it. The Butlins security got fussy about it but Stephen told them to go away and signed his penny. I felt bad for everyone else as he spent nearly 10 minutes talking to my son.

A quite random encounter was with Rishi Sunack - I had been working on a project that required parliamentary approval and he was the Junior Minister who had to lead it through the approval process he was genuinely really interested in it and so enthusiastic

I also used to volunteer at a Special Olympic type event each year where Gladiators came along; for some reason I was always asked to look after the Gladiator. They were all absolutely brilliant all day long every time

On the downside - Katie Price. We were arriving at Gatwick and at the same tim her children had run off and nearly fell over our suitcases. I had no idea whose children they were and a big airport so managed to get them to stop and find their mum, who rather than thank me for finding her errant children just glared at me with one of the darkest stares I had ever seen
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
roseya
Excited about Disney

many years ago my boss was on ready steady cook She took all the staff to the recording where we met AInslet Harriet he was absolutely lovely. my dad is an usher at his local theatre and says Dawn French was really unpleasant, which is a shame as she was one of my favorites..
roseya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 04:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUKinOrlando
Imagineer

My two are from the same camp.
Nicest, Jimmy Page.
Not so much, Robert Plant.
MarkUKinOrlando is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 05:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Bill Clinton, JK Rowling, Harry Rednapp, and Bros all absolutely lovely a Bros in particular when I asked them made a phone call to my sister.

Duke McKennsie and David Walliams not nice people

joe Strummer nice guy but never bought his rounds
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I was in the soap episode, it was good fun to host the programme for the day. Until then I didn't realise it took ten hours on location to get what turned out to be about eight minutes on screen.

My claim to fame is at 9:06 if you watch again on you tube
You make soap?
Old 12 Jan 21, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You make soap?
Taking a break from it at the moment but I did for 30 years.
Fancy handmade stuff & bath bombs etc.
Regular supermarket & janitorial bath soap etc.
Soap powders to go in big name laundry powders
Radiation shielding soap for Oil rigs, nuclear & medical facilities.
Ballistic soap for most UK armed police training & testing facilities.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
One of the nicest was Kate Winslett. They tried to rush her through Security at Birmingham airport but she said she was happy to wait in line as there were people before her. She then reminded her son to thank the security man his bag after it had gone through the scanner. Staff then tried to walk her into a private lounge but someone stopped her and asked if she could have a photo and Kate laughed and said " i look a total mess and have you seen the size of my spot ? but of course " the lady then took a selfie with Kate. Kate laughed and followed the staff.

Gordon Banks was also lovely. One of the lads i was working with in the Departure lounge didnt believe me that it was him... so i went up and asked if he was ' the 1966 world cup goalkeeper' he said he was and had a little chat about where he was going etc...

Kian from Westlife got lost so i had to take him to his gate .

No-one really rude but a couple of 'stars' made it obvious they didnt want to talk to anyone.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List