Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve been nervous about going out and eating in restaurants and decided we didn’t want to book a busy pub or chain restaurant. So Monday we visited a local hotel for their afternoon tea, at £9.75 pp instead of £19.50

There was a one way system in and out of the restaurant, hand sanitiser provided and 2m between tables. The restaurant was very busy, but we felt safe because of the distancing. The waiters were very busy and we didn’t see our waiter after he brought our food as he was too busy to check if we wanted anything else. The food was delicious and we really enjoyed it.

DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We’ve been nervous about going out and eating in restaurants and decided we didn’t want to book a busy pub or chain restaurant. So Monday we visited a local hotel for their afternoon tea, at £9.75 pp instead of £19.50

There was a one way system in and out of the restaurant, hand sanitiser provided and 2m between tables. The restaurant was very busy, but we felt safe because of the distancing. The waiters were very busy and we didn’t see our waiter after he brought our food as he was too busy to check if we wanted anything else. The food was delicious and we really enjoyed it.

Looks lovely! Very refined. Where was this ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Looks lovely! Very refined. Where was this ?
Parkway Hotel Cwmbran, it’s a nice 4* hotel and the tea is served in the large lounge area. It was delicious. We have been to the Celtic Manor previously for afternoon tea, and I think Celtic Manor was slightly better but this was definitely worth having and a little closer to home.

Did you enjoy the Vietnamese restaurant, where is that in Cardiff? I wouldn’t mind trying that too 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post

I had never thought of the parkway for afternoon tea. Will now ! Only ever been there for sunday lunch.

The vietnamese i went to is called Pho. Food was delicious. Very spaced out in there and safe. Needs prebooking if going on a mon-weds. Dont know about other days.

Beef brisket Pho was lovely but the spicy salad wraps won. I wanted some banh mi but none on the menu that i could see.

Its on church street.

phocafe/locations/cardiff/

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I had never thought of the parkway for afternoon tea. Will now ! Only ever been there for sunday lunch.

The vietnamese i went to is called Pho. Food was delicious. Very spaced out in there and safe. Needs prebooking if going on a mon-weds. Dont know about other days.

Beef brisket Pho was lovely but the spicy salad wraps won. I wanted some banh mi but none on the menu that i could see.

Its on church street.

phocafe/locations/cardiff/
I haven’t ventured into Cardiff yet so we probably will visit after the eat out offer, but we definitely will try it 😀

You need to book the afternoon tea at the Parkway but we rang last Thursday and got in for Monday so you may still be able to get in for the eat out scheme. The only minus I found was the service wasn’t as attentive as Celtic Manor, but they were very busy so we had no issues with that
Old 20 Aug 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Went for a mid morning breakfast yesterday. First time eating out. Sat outside on the terrace ordered and paid via the app. Very nice even if the food was only lukewarm.

£12.60 two breakfast and coffee. My son & his girlfriend have been out lots.
Old 20 Aug 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

we have eaten in our local pub twice now, feel very safe (wales) , we are in Cornwall on holiday now and are really struggling to find somewhere to eat indoors. It is really busy and most places are not even doing the eat out scheme.loads of places are not allowing seating at all as apparently they have had a lot of abuse over the scheme . so we thought today being Thursday would be easier but everywhere is booked. we ended up with a Chinese takeaway and too it back to the caravan to eat - it was nice but not the meal we wanted.
taffs travels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
May I ask for some help from you York people. We're there on Tuesday. Can you recommend somewhere to have breakfast that are in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme, please? We're staying at the Monk's Cross Travelodge but can Park & Ride into town if there's more choice.
Thank you.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Whitequeen View Post
May I ask for some help from you York people. We're there on Tuesday. Can you recommend somewhere to have breakfast that are in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme, please? We're staying at the Monk's Cross Travelodge but can Park & Ride into town if there's more choice.
Thank you.
Does this help tax.service.gov.uk/eat-o...658.1579336743
Anne is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

We ate out Wednesday lunch at a local restaurant (The Elm Tree at Heath), large fish, chips and mushy peas x 2, sticky toffee pudding, butterscotch sauce and ice cream x 2 and 2 x diet cokes... £22 instead of £42... was very nice...
Staff said it was extremely busy and booked solid for next week (squeezed the 2 of us in again), other nearby restaurants (not pubs) also booked solid. But she also said that the rest of the week it’s been extremely quiet... so they’re not really making much more money as it’s just everyone eating on the half price days instead of later in the week... we wouldn’t have eaten out if the offer hadn’t been on though...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List