Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 21 Dec 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I’ve just made a Grey Goose Slushie. It’s fairly successful. Need to blitz the ice a bit more
Have a festive pic!

I don’t usually drink from an ice cream dish. OH thrust it at me and said I had to have it in that!

Edited at 10:34 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We had a lazy meal tonight. M&S Brie encroute with bits to dip. Definitely recommend this 👍🏻
I know it would be easy to make this but frankly, after 3 massive leaks in 3 days and the clear up that followed, I couldn’t be ≈≈≈≈≈!
I hope Christmas can begin now but I’m sure there must be some more pipework that can burst 🤦🏼

Edited at 11:34 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

We love breakfast burritos. Nik is always mind blown at what you can rustle up with leftovers.

I really fancied that Brie Encroute when I saw it in the shops. Glad to hear it is nice.

I was working until late today so when I was planning our meals needed something quick and easy. We had a copy of the Christmas burger we had at KFC last year, sage and onion mayo, breaded chicken fillet, emmental, a hash brown and cranberry sauce. They were really good! Nik said they were his new favourite tea but he says that about everything haha.

We had some Cadburys Christmas Trifle for pudding, wouldn't recommend!

I thought I had taken a picture but I hadn't, oh the shame.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Hi Abby, great to see you back and what a great idea for a thread.

Yours and everyone else’s food and drink have inspired me and I’m going to have a go at some festive food. I was going to try the peppermint bark first but I haven’t been able to find the peppermint extract yet.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm definitely going to have to pop (oxymoron I'm sure) to Tesco for supplies...There's not enough sausagemeat for all the breakfast ideas let alone the stuffing I now have to make. What was I thinking only buying 3 packs

So, Heath has grown hasn't he? Wow, he looks tall Tara. Would you believe that we had to buy Max a double bed as he's so tall, he has to sleep diagonally in that. I'd take photo of him, but he hasn't got put of his PJs in the last 3 days and no one needs to see that

I must have the recipe for the Grey Goose Slushy that looks amazing I hope you enjoyed it and the dinner was a treat as well yummy.

I'm very cross that you didn't take a photo of the trifle or the kfc burger tut tut

Hello Diane nice to see you, I hope you are well. I've been so busy the last few months and not able to read or post on the Dibb. It's nice to have a fun, frivolous, forgetting about the world outside thread to post to.

I feel like we've got a great party going on here . Everyone is arriving in time for Christmas and you're all bringing lovely treats for sharing I can't wait to see what other meals or desserts I'm going to have to fit in over the next week or so.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Hot buttered rum

So, this is a version of mulled cider. Dave found the recipe for this drink on the Art of Manliness website (don't even as m ) it's been a staple of Christmas for years for us.

You have to make a butter, sugar and spice mash up and then chill that in the fridge. Ours always ends up looking like a assuage shaped butter and sugar roll. This is made in advance. When you're ready for your drink heat up the cider. Cut a small piece of butter and drop into the glass add a half shot of rum and then top up with the warmed cider. It's lovely and warm and Christmassy with the spices.

Charcuterie and Chessboard Dinner

Like most people we always buy a load of cheese and often it's January before we eat it. I decided we needed to start it all before Christmas and it was really nice to have a Tapas style meal.

Nigella's Five Spice Cider Bundt Cake

Nigella will feature heavily for me, in fact our Christmas Eve dinner is a long standing Nigella meal from a Christmas show years ago. This is the Bundt Cake made with Chinese 5 spice, I have to say I was a bit hesitant, but I figured I'd give it a go. Plus we had the cider anyway so, why not.

I'm always nervous it won't come out of the tin, but it was fine.

This had a lovely gingerbread cakeiness to it and I enjoyed it. Max did not like the spices, everyone else thought it was nice enough. But we all preferred the spiced Bundt Cake we had a few weeks ago. This was another Nigella recipe and it's a lovely cake.

It doesn't look much different to the other one, but this has yoghurt instead of the cider and uses cinnamon, ginger and cloves for the spices which was nicer I think than the 5 spice. Still, it was worth trying.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Those Bundt cakes look gorgeous. And I cracked up at the art of manliness website 😂 We had Stilton and port the other night, because we always end up with loads left in January too...determined to eat it all this year!

The Christmas burger sounds delicious. Mark and Heath will be making a trifle tomorrow, but it is from a Birds kit, so nothing fancy!

The Brie encroute sounds like a winner - of course, how can you go wrong with melty cheese?! 😆

Abby, Heath has shot up and finally got his adult front teeth so he looks so grown up all of a sudden. Amazing how quickly they change. Poor Max, squeezing into bed! Don’t blame him for living in pjs, I’m dressed up for my last day of work and then I’ll be the same for the next few days!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Thank you so much for making this thread Abby, it's so lovely to see what everyone is eating and it's reminding me what a lovely community we have here at the Dibb. I have missed it.

Well done on those bundt cakes, they turned out so well. You must have to have nerves of steel for those.

Charcuterie and cheese board is always a win. Nik and I are going to have the same for supper on Christmas day.

I made the cranberry pancakes for breakfast today. It said the recipe made 4 'small' pancakes, in reality it made 5 massive ones! V. tasty and my first attempt at homemade pancakes, a little too brown but the recipe specifically said not to prod them when cooking so I was too scared to check on them in case they fell apart

Made a batch of Delia's sausage rolls this afternoon for supper on Christmas Eve, I am working until at least 9 so need something light for when I get home. They are not the prettiest but I am damn proud. I HATE baking and making your own pastry is much too close to it for my liking. I was thinking that they had better be nice as it seemed a lot of hassle when you can buy sausages for pennies. They are delish! Goodness knows how the two of us will get through that mountain.

We had French Dip sliders for lunch. They weren't very photogenic so no pics. I know this is the season for indulgence but these were v. heavy and a bit much for lunch, Nik enjoyed them.

delish/cooking/recip...liders-recipe/

The day is just racing ahead from me and I still have soup and pate to make
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Love this positive thread Abby! Definitely following
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
elise
Imagineer

I made this deep dish pizza yesterday , probably one of the best things I have ever made !