Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Jan 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile Different use years

Hi all, currently looking at a ssr contract with a June use year. We currently have a September poly. We are thinking of getting our next contract in June because at the moment our kids are 1 and 3 but soon we will probably have to start travelling in the summer july/August. Do you guys think this would be a good idea? Or should I keep to our original use year. Would having different use years cause much problems with bookings etc. Any feed back much appreciated
Lucaroo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Different use years, as I understand it, would mean that you have 2 completely separate contracts which will show up separately on the dvc dashboard etc. Twice the remembering banking deadlines etc. So generally better to avoid. That said, a Sept use year is the worst possible for travelling in July/Aug. If for any reason you can’t go on a planned holiday then you will have missed your end of May (?) banking deadline and only have a few weeks at best to re-schedule and retake your holiday before your points expire. In your position, I’d be inclined to take on the hassle of two use years to mitigate this risk.

Would be interesting to see if others agree.

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I would try and buy same use year. Otherwise management (unless you have masses of points and wriggle room) can become very difficult, with having to transfer one set of points to another to hit 7 month 1pm Windows as well as difficulties with banking on cancellations etc.

Why make life difficult unless an amazing deal comes up? Just buy one with current use year, then it’s all in the same membership and you can just select where the points are taken from when booking.

I have 4 contracts and always insisted on same use year and at the moment even that is confusing in terms of what bookings have used what points, but at least I know when I cancel my banking deadlines, and also know all the points are available in one membership whenever I want to book.

Pete Werner actually spoke about this the other week as he has bought a load of contracts and says he didn’t listen to advice to get them all on one use year and now he wishes he did- if you watch the DVC Fan YouTube it’s on there.

There is the cancellation issue, but I would look at that as very temporary as being a major problem. We also started going very different times compared to when we first envisaged and planned.

Edited at 01:32 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I will also support the buy the same use year message.

I have a 100 Point contract that is August whereas all my others are December. It’s not a big issue but it’s a bit of a pain ref administration and Banking deadlines.

I don’t regret it as the resale price was very low but by choice I would prefer them all to be the same.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I would agree that having all contracts on same use year is preferable, especially if they are for the same resort.

Having said that our first two contracts (BCV & VGC) have a June use year under the same membership number. Our third contract at BLT has an October use year and is under a different membership no. The first two BLT contracts we bid on were taken by ROFR and this one was ideal except for use year so we bid on it. It hasn't caused us any problems at although I can see it could possibly do so in the future if we wanted to combine points to make a single reservation.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile

Thank you everyone, watched a few videos about it and have been reading a few blogs on it. Going stick with our current use year and keep things simple
Lucaroo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by Lucaroo View Post
Hi all, currently looking at a ssr contract with a June use year. We currently have a September poly. We are thinking of getting our next contract in June because at the moment our kids are 1 and 3 but soon we will probably have to start travelling in the summer july/August. Do you guys think this would be a good idea? Or should I keep to our original use year. Would having different use years cause much problems with bookings etc. Any feed back much appreciated
Majority of people will do everything they can to buy the same use year with every purchase. There is a small percentage of people who like have different membership numbers because you are only allowed 1 transfer out and 1 transfer in per membership number. With multiple membership numbers they get the transfer option on each one per use year.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 13 Jan 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I see you have made your choice OP, but I'd like to add that I have 2 use years and it hasn't bothered me at all and has often been useful when we have gone twice in a year. I would add the caveat that I quite like playing around with points and doing 'what if?' scenarios. I can quite believe that most people find it more straightforward to have just one, but I'm not one of them!
Old 13 Jan 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Woohoobb
Excited about Disney

I have two different use years and love it. May not in the future now that I am about to have a school aged child but for now it’s been all positive! Good luck with getting a new contract, the searching for that perfect one is the best!
Woohoobb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile

Hi everyone, quick update. So we bought a contract with the same use year and passed rofr last week. Went for 100 points in the end which will give us the opportunity to have 1 beds every two years with banking and borrowing etc. Thank you for everyone's help and feed back it did help with our decision