Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 14 Aug 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Cheap(er) Sonos Speakers

After a quick trip to Ikea earlier today I noticed they were sellign their own brand "wifi speakers" turns out that they are in fact rebranded and slightly redesigned SONOS one speakers at 2/3 of the cost. They would certainly be worth a look for anyone thinking of paying out for some sonos kit!
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Sound not as good according to The Guardian review.
No line input or Bluetooth, no smart functions.
Might be better off buying proper Sonos second-hand ?

theguardian/technolo...s-on-the-cheap
Pino_Spetzberg is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

You don't get line in or Bluetooth with the play:1 anyway and the guardian article recognises the trade off between sound quality and price. Ive had my Sonos speakers for over 3 years now but these would still be viable options for anyone looking to purchase as Sonos system
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Did you notice how much they were?
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

£99 for the wall mounted ones and £150 for some quite decent looking ones with integrated lamps
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

This comes down to priority. If sound quality is important - dont scrimp and go for the Sonos. If price is more important, then the Ikea is one option.

The integration of the Sonos is second to none and the sound quality is fantastic. But they aren't cheap.

To me when buying a speaker, sound quality is important to me (I work part time in audio engineering so this is a big deal for me) so I went for Sonos. Very good system without going bonkers on mega expensive.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
This comes down to priority. If sound quality is important - dont scrimp and go for the Sonos. If price is more important, then the Ikea is one option.

The integration of the Sonos is second to none and the sound quality is fantastic. But they aren't cheap.

To me when buying a speaker, sound quality is important to me (I work part time in audio engineering so this is a big deal for me) so I went for Sonos. Very good system without going bonkers on mega expensive.
I couldn't agree more, however have one main reservation when it comes to Sonos, and that is support of certain formats. I do find it very disappointing that they have what could be an amazing home cinema system which is simple to set up but refuse to support DTS and HD audio formats. If they were to swap to DTS support I'd have a full Sonos home cinema setup in the blink of an eye
Old 15 Aug 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
I couldn't agree more, however have one main reservation when it comes to Sonos, and that is support of certain formats. I do find it very disappointing that they have what could be an amazing home cinema system which is simple to set up but refuse to support DTS and HD audio formats. If they were to swap to DTS support I'd have a full Sonos home cinema setup in the blink of an eye
Personally I haven't gone for Sonos with the TV and just use it for music. It frightens me every time I think about what I spent on my home cinema audio setup (makes Sonos look like bargain bucket). But I just try to bury my head in the sand. By BiL has it for his TV setup though and it sounds very good - but not amazing. Mine is all cabled though (by choice).
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List