Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Aug 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JP81 View Post
Are you even sure Disney is for your kids? As they are a bit older and I feel it's centred more on the 10 and under bracket?
Also, your airline will class u18's as kids, but for Park Tickets, the cut-off is 9.

Second the Lucky Leprechaun, though.
I am certainly with you on that. Many get the 'Disney Magic'.. Mine do not and neither do I or my wife.

We visited Disney on 4 of our first 5 vacations, but not on our last 5. At around 10-11 years when the boys could access the bigger coasters, they announced that they much preferred BG, SW and both Universal Parks. Later visits to Thorpe Park and 6 Flags merely reinforced their viewpoint that Disney was for children.

Every year that we visit Orlando, we put 3 options on the table and each of them place those options 1,2 and 3 in preference.
Disney 14 day Ultimates
Universal with a night in one of the 3 premium Hotels.
Discovery Cove ultimate non swims (that include BG and SW).

DC always comes top and Universal 2nd. The forthcoming Star Wars doesn't even change that as they have never seen more than a couple of Star Wars.

The problem comes when somebody asks which parks to visit, never having been. All 3 franchises are rather different and I generally advise that they visit all 3, making their own judgements.

With 6 of you, I would certainly look hard at a Villa. In that way besides saving money, you can simply dip in and out without being committed to any one franchise. If you like one more than the other, you can always amend plans with ease.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:56 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Are you even sure Disney is for your kids? As they are a bit older and I feel it's centred more on the 10 and under bracket?
Also, your airline will class u18's as kids, but for Park Tickets, the cut-off is 9.

They will be considered adults for everything.

Disney isn’t for under 10s, it is for people of any age that fancy it, we started going when we were proper adults.

OP, onsite for six would be very expensive and would probably still be very cramped with yours being the ages they are. I don’t think I would even consider it, you will be far more comfortable in a villa.

Edited at 06:15 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
kylali
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Disney is for any age, we stay onsite every year, my 'kids are 17 and 20 and love disney. If cost isn't a problem then a 2 bedroom at OKW or SSR would be ideal for you or as above two rooms at a moderate, could hopefully get free ddp if being offered. you have the disney transport to the resort's and also the boat to disney springs which your older kids could use to roam about on their own.
kylali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi AngelAli Welcome to the Dibb !
Firstly have you asked your children what they want to do ?
Whilst I do agree with others that Disney isn’t just for small children I am not sure it would be enough for 2 adults and 2 nearly adults for 2 full weeks. Maybe look at you tube so they can see the other parks so they can see which interests them the most.

My plans for any holiday always start with calculating how much I want to spend. I plan and book everything then working downwards. You could always stay in a villa and have a few days staying in a Disney hotel to get the experience of it. A villa for the main part of the holiday is ideal. You have your own space and if any of them want a day left in the villa then can do with a pool, games room and sometimes a PlayStation to keep them occupied.

Even if you stay offsite in a villa you could still drop them off in a park for the day if parents wanted to do something else for the day. They can also always Uber if some one want to go somewhere else.

I would also suggest if you have Scottish school holidays consider traveling down to Manchester at the beginning of your holiday as it will be term time here. This would potentially save you quite a bit. We are actually driving up to Glasgow today doing the opposite ! I like to book everything individually because I like to be in control rather than booking packages. Booking DIY in Florida is no harder than booking DIY in Europe.

Good luck. Hope you get something booked.

Edited at 07:01 AM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Crowdpleaser
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

First job before you do anything at all is to apply for your esta.

Now on to planning. I would have good look at YouTube to get a bit of a feel for what each park has to offer.

The accommodation thing is very personal. It's partly down to money, partly space, partly preference.

We stay offsite. Reasons being that I would rather boil my own head than stay in what us essentially a Travelodge sized room for 2 weeks! Unless you can afford to go to okw or ssr which offer apartments. I needed a break from the disbey bubble.

We stayed in a 2 bed apartment on a resort last time. Absolutely loved the apartment but next year we are going to a villa. I like the space! And we get our own pool!

Research is the key. Do plenty of it and you will find what suits you.
Crowdpleaser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
doah mum
Earning My Ears

I would start by asking what everyone wants to do after a bit of research on YouTube to look at both of the main parks. We love Disney or I do and have dragged the men in the family along, DH, DS1 and DS2 who will be 14 and 10 when we go next year. Doing a split stay between Disney and Universal. We're in the same position of sticking to Scottish summer hols but going from Manchester just before the end of summer term next year is saving us near £1000 even factoring in the travel down and a cheap hotel overnight. Good luck with the planning
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

I would speak to all the party and see if they are interested in Disney. My kids love it! 16 & 12 and are planning to return with us in 3-4yr time. I was going to Disneyland Paris with my parents from when it opened, went when we didn't have any kids with us and off there in 2 days. Disney is for everyone if that is what they like. It's just the same as people saying they don't like beach holidays, camping, walking. It's personal preference. Just ask them.
You can start planning any time and I would start with what people are wanting, ie, hotel ideas. We are planning now so we've got an idea of where we want to go, rough estimate of costs because you can't be sure of increases. There will be six of us but know off-site is not viable now due to my dad's mobility issues and people not wanting to drive.

Edited at 10:58 AM.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

My kids don't feel that way and they have been going for twenty years.
Old 21 Aug 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We're 32 & 37 with no kids & are going for 10 days haha never mind kids!
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am certainly with you on that. Many get the 'Disney Magic'.. Mine do not and neither do I or my wife.

We visited Disney on 4 of our first 5 vacations, but not on our last 5. At around 10-11 years when the boys could access the bigger coasters, they announced that they much preferred BG, SW and both Universal Parks. Later visits to Thorpe Park and 6 Flags merely reinforced their viewpoint that Disney was for children.

Every year that we visit Orlando, we put 3 options on the table and each of them place those options 1,2 and 3 in preference.
Disney 14 day Ultimates
Universal with a night in one of the 3 premium Hotels.
Discovery Cove ultimate non swims (that include BG and SW).

DC always comes top and Universal 2nd. The forthcoming Star Wars doesn't even change that as they have never seen more than a couple of Star Wars.

The problem comes when somebody asks which parks to visit, never having been. All 3 franchises are rather different and I generally advise that they visit all 3, making their own judgements.

With 6 of you, I would certainly look hard at a Villa. In that way besides saving money, you can simply dip in and out without being committed to any one franchise. If you like one more than the other, you can always amend plans with ease.
There is a big difference between a family that hasn't been to WDW and one that has been multiple times.

I agree with your view about trying everything if money allows
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List