Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Apr 20, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

My dog has access to the yard at all times with his dog door, and so even if he’s poorly he doesn’t get caught short, he just runs straight outside.
I think it would scare him, so I think we’d probably put it on for an hour when we’re out walking him etc. So I definitely am not worried about dog poo.
I am quite considering it as I do have to sweep up so much
Old 28 Apr 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
My dog has access to the yard at all times with his dog door, and so even if he’s poorly he doesn’t get caught short, he just runs straight outside.
I think it would scare him, so I think we’d probably put it on for an hour when we’re out walking him etc. So I definitely am not worried about dog poo.
I am quite considering it as I do have to sweep up so much
I have no worries about poop either.

It is a nice easy way to keep on top of things, but as somebody else said you will need to vacuum the normal way as well, but less often. For some reason we gave our robot a name, he is called Gary.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I’m pretty sure something happens with one in YOU TOO but also there was something shared on FB the other day where gadgets go wrong. There was a Roomba - the dog had done it’s doggie mess indoors and the Roomba had “cleared it up” - it was not a pretty sight and I assume not an easy task to clean it 🤮
hehe I actually made a copy of the 'Pooptastrophy' story from a blogger I used to follow.. and I still have it on my pc.. Oh my word it's soooo funny
aghhh cannot figure how to attach a word document.
Will copy and paste it... but will spare you guys the photo lol
-----------------------
So, last week, something pretty tragic happened in our household. It's taken me until now to wrap my head around it and find the words to describe the horror. It started off simple enough - something that's probably happened to most of you.

Sometime between midnight and 1:30am, our puppy Evie pooped on our rug in the living room. This is the only time she's done this, so it's probably just because we forgot to let her out before we went to bed that night. Now, if you have a detective's mind, you may be wondering how we know the poop occurred between midnight and 1:30am. We were asleep, so how do I know that time frame?

Why, friends, that's because our Roomba runs at 1:30am every night, while we sleep. And it found the poop. And so begins the Pooptastrophe. The poohpocalypse. The pooppening.

If you have a Roomba, please rid yourself of all distractions and absorb everything I'm about to tell you.

Do not, under any circumstances, let your Roomba run over dog poop. If the unthinkable does happen, and your Roomba runs over dog poop, stop it immediately and do not let it continue the cleaning cycle. Because if that happens, it will spread the dog poop over every conceivable surface within its reach, resulting in a home that closely resembles a Jackson Pollock poop painting.

It will be on your floorboards. It will be on your furniture legs. It will be on your carpets. It will be on your rugs. It will be on your kids' toy boxes. If it's near the floor, it will have poop on it. Those awesome wheels, which have a checkered surface for better traction, left 25-foot poop trails all over the house. Our lovable Roomba, who gets a careful cleaning every night, looked like it had been mudding. Yes, mudding - like what you do with a Jeep on a pipeline road. But in poop.

Then, when your four-year-old gets up at 3am to crawl into your bed, you'll wonder why he smells like dog poop. And you'll walk into the living room. And you'll wonder why the floor feels slightly gritty. And you'll see a brown-encrusted, vaguely Roomba-shaped thing sitting in the middle of the floor with a glowing green light, like everything's okay. Like it's proud of itself. You were still half-asleep until this point, but now you wake up pretty damn quickly.

And then the horror. Oh the horror.

So, first you clean the child. You scrub the poop off his feet and put him back in bed. But you don't bother cleaning your own feet, because you know what's coming. It's inevitable, and it's coming at you like a freight train. Some folks would shrug their shoulders and get back in bed to deal with it in the morning. But you're not one of those people - you can't go to sleep with that war zone of poop in the living room.

So you clean the Roomba. You toss it in the bathtub to let it soak. You pull it apart, piece-by-piece, wondering at what point you became an adult and assumed responsibility for 3:30am-Roomba-disassembly-poop-cleanups. By this point, the poop isn't just on your hands - it's smeared up to your elbows. You already heard the Roomba make that "whirlllllllllllllllll-boop-hisssssssss" noise that sounds like electronics dying, and you realize you forgot to pull the battery before getting it wet.

Oh, and you're not just using profanity - you're inventing new types of profanity. You're saying things that would make Satan shudder in revulsion. You hope your kid stayed in bed, because if he hears you talking like this, there's no way he's not ending up in prison.

Then you get out the carpet shampooer. When you push it up to the rug - the rug that started it all - the shampooer just laughs at you. Because that rug is going in the trash, folks. But you shampoo it anyway, because your wife loved that damn rug, and you know she'll ask if you tried to clean it first.

Then you get out the paper towel rolls, idly wondering if you should invest in paper towel stock, and you blow through three or four rolls wiping up poop. Then you get the spray bottle with bleach water and hose down the floor boards to let them soak, because the poop has already dried. Then out comes the steam mop, and you take care of those 25-ft poop trails.

And then, because it's 6am, you go to bed. Let's finish this tomorrow, right?

The next day, you finish taking the Roomba apart, scraping out all the tiny flecks of poop, and after watching a few Youtube instructional videos, you remove the motherboard to wash it with a toothbrush. Then you bake it in the oven to dry. You put it all back together, and of course it doesn't work. Because you heard the "whirlllllllllllllll-boop-hissssssss" noise when it died its poopy death in the bathtub. But you hoped that maybe the Roomba gods would have mercy on you.

But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. After spending a week researching how to fix this damn Ł350 Roomba without spending Ł350 again - including refurb units, new motherboards, and new batteries - you finally decide to call the place where you bought it. That place called Hammacher Schlemmer. They have a funny name, but they have an awesome warranty. They claim it's for life, and it's for any reason.

So I called them and told the truth. My Roomba found dog poop and almost precipitated World War III.

And you know what they did? They offered to replace it. Yes, folks. They are replacing the Roomba that ran over dog poop and then died a poopy, watery death in the bathtub - by no fault of their own, of course.

So, mad props to Hammacher Schlemmer. If you're buying anything expensive, and they sell it, I recommend buying it from them. And remember - don't let your Roomba run over dog poop...

Edited at 11:50 AM.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Sounds like way too much effort.

I just a have a wife, old fashioned I know. Upkeep can be costly though, she runs on Dooneys.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I would love to have one - if it really worked. I am tempted to get a cheaper one as a trial and see if it would actually save me sweeping my floors so much.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I would love to have one - if it really worked. I am tempted to get a cheaper one as a trial and see if it would actually save me sweeping my floors so much.
That’s why I thought about maybe buying a second hand one.
I really hate sweeping the floors 🧹
Old 28 Apr 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

My dog definitely never messes inside so no concerns about that.
He would be scared of it though I think, but there are plenty of times he’s out that we could run it.
What is YOU TOO please?
The second series of YOU - was it not called YOU TOO? There was a celeb and he met a sticky end and I seem to remember it cleared up blood etc but the one shared on FB cleared up doggie do.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
The second series of YOU - was it not called YOU TOO? There was a celeb and he met a sticky end and I seem to remember it cleared up blood etc but the one shared on FB cleared up doggie do.
Not sure? I’ve seen the first series of You, but not the second yet, I didn’t know it was called You Too
Old 29 Apr 20, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Not sure? I’ve seen the first series of You, but not the second yet, I didn’t know it was called You Too
I don’t think it was 😂. I think I’m thinking of SAVE ME/SAVE ME TOO
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Mobile

We have a ”Neato Botvac D7” and they also do a special version for homes with pets. I love it. My husband did a lot of research before deciding on this model. When you first get it you have to let it do a “map” of your house. This modrl can keep two maps - one for upstairs and one for downstairs. You can then decide which room(s) to run it in - we tend to run it in the kitchen most often for example.