Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 May 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Molly is desperate to go back and is hoping she will be able to get back to training September/October
With it being NHS she is hoping the hospitals will have got back to a little more normality and placements can resume

She is really missing uni life and her friends ☹️
I hope things are a little more normal for the NHS by then too and Molly can continue her course.

Georgia misses her friends too, they chat online lots and are always saying how they miss their lunches out
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Has everyone heard when their child is returning to uni now and how teaching will be?

Georgia has an email today to say Bristol is starting a week later, 5 October. Most lectures will start online and continue that way until further notice. Seminars, tutorials and smaller lecture groups will be on campus. They are planning to have lab lessons (which Georgia was pleased about) and field trips when possible.

It’s not ideal, but safety is the most important thing of course. She will return to her new accommodation in September to settle in with her friends if it’s allowed and live there as the accommodation is paid for and she enjoys living in the city, with her regular visits home.

How is everyone coping with lockdown? Georgia is quite happy at home and is keeping herself busy with her hobbies. She has been busy with online lectures and coursework until now and has her last exam next week, which isn’t counted towards her grade for the year and then she’s finished for the year. I hope everyone else is doing well

Edited at 10:05 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Glad to hear a postive update for Georgia!

As far as he knows, term starts as planned at the beginning of september. However, no news as yet as to when face to face lessons willl begin. If they are still online (and they just run the lectures but via a visio platform) then he may stay home a bit longer. I fear that it won’t be covid affecting the viability of online v face to face but the new security laws.

He is still doing his exams- two more to go on Monday and Tuesday and then hopefully he is flying home on Wednesday.

No lockdown for him though - though he has done one set of quarantine and will have to do another when he gets home. But we are out of lockdown here so he has been lucky!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Glad to hear a postive update for Georgia!

As far as he knows, term starts as planned at the beginning of september. However, no news as yet as to when face to face lessons willl begin. If they are still online (and they just run the lectures but via a visio platform) then he may stay home a bit longer. I fear that it won’t be covid affecting the viability of online v face to face but the new security laws.

He is still doing his exams- two more to go on Monday and Tuesday and then hopefully he is flying home on Wednesday.

No lockdown for him though - though he has done one set of quarantine and will have to do another when he gets home. But we are out of lockdown here so he has been lucky!
Your DS is an expert on coping with online lectures, if Georgia needs tips I will ask you if your DS has any tips 😀

You must be so excited to have him home next week, and it must be brilliant to think he may stay a little longer too.

It must be nice that you are out of lockdown now and I’m sure the 2 weeks in quarantine will be good for your DS to catch up with the family and then you can all enjoy the summer together 😀

Edited at 11:05 PM.
Old 30 May 20, 06:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Your DS is an expert on coping with online lectures, if Georgia needs tips I will ask you if your DS has any tips 😀

You must be so excited to have him home next week, and it must be brilliant to think he may stay a little longer too.

It must be nice that you are out of lockdown now and I’m sure the 2 weeks in quarantine will be good for your DS to catch up with the family and then you can all enjoy the summer together 😀
I think I won’t believe he will be here until the flight lands in France!

He is doing a database course over the summer for more credits as this eases the number of courses he will have to do next year!

I fear for my grocery bill though 🤣

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

DD doesn’t know dates yet but like Georgia, her uni have confirmed that lectures will be on line to start.

She’s a bit concerned as she’s transferring to Cardiff and thinks it’s going to be more difficult to meet people. But she’s a very friendly girl so I’m hoping she’ll be ok and hopefully by the time she starts back, restrictions will have eased more.

Our priority at the moment is to get her car as she’ll be commuting. We had planned to get one by now so she could practice the route. Hopefully in the next Welsh review we may get some news about garages opening.

I think she’s starting to struggle more now as all her uni work is finished so it’s harder to fill her days. At least now she can see her boyfriend but that’s not the same with the two metre rule.

Melbatb - I’m sure you’re going to have a lovely reunion when your son arrives home.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Molly heard off Sheffield Hallam that her course resumes on the 28th September and it will be blended learning. She can’t wait to go back, she knows it will be different but she loves uni life.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
DD doesn’t know dates yet but like Georgia, her uni have confirmed that lectures will be on line to start.

She’s a bit concerned as she’s transferring to Cardiff and thinks it’s going to be more difficult to meet people. But she’s a very friendly girl so I’m hoping she’ll be ok and hopefully by the time she starts back, restrictions will have eased more.

Our priority at the moment is to get her car as she’ll be commuting. We had planned to get one by now so she could practice the route. Hopefully in the next Welsh review we may get some news about garages opening.

I think she’s starting to struggle more now as all her uni work is finished so it’s harder to fill her days. At least now she can see her boyfriend but that’s not the same with the two metre rule.

Melbatb - I’m sure you’re going to have a lovely reunion when your son arrives home.

Hope you manage to get a car sorted soon, hopefully he will open more up in Wales at the next 3 week review.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post

I fear Georgia will find it a little harder after her exam next week. Although she has lots of hobbies and started baking this week. She’s never been interested in baking before, but made delicious white chocolate and strawberry blondies so I will be happy if she wants to continue with that pastime 😀

It’s great that your DD can see her boyfriend now, it must have been so difficult for couples 😔 I hope you manage to get a car soon for your DD too. Our car is due for a service so my DH is hoping they reopen soon too 😀

I hope your DD’s transition to Cardiff goes smoothly. I feel most unis will be using the blended approach so at least she should be able to see some other students and get to know them.
Old 30 May 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Molly heard off Sheffield Hallam that her course resumes on the 28th September and it will be blended learning. She can’t wait to go back, she knows it will be different but she loves uni life.
Was that the date Molly was supposed to return or later? I think they will all be happy to return after the long summer break 😀 I would imagine Molly’s placements will all go ahead as they are vital for her so there will only be lectures online. Georgia was pleased as Bristol said lab lessons would be delivered. She feels she missed a lot of important information by missing out on those last term and was worried about missing more