Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
From one dog to two... Is it manageable?

Hi everyone

Some have probably already seen before that earlier this year I got my little bundle of joy Bruce (7 month old pug now)

We are thinking of getting a second pug puppy in the near future, I have always had dogs but never two at the same time.

Any tips for having two dogs? Walking them both together and the costs for extra food / toys / vets isn't a problem I am just more concerned about training etc.

Bruce adores dogs (probs more than humans!) and I'd love to get him a little sister.

Thank you
Old 7 Sep 17, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Trading is often easier I've found and after a couple of days they are fine with each other
Do find the girls tend to be the leader of the pack I walk the Frenchie on a buddy lead i.e. One lead with 2/3 shorter leads on it that attach to their harness ours walk fine with our Visla We do have an order when it comes to feeding time though and set places for bowls save any squabbling not that they would dare mind you only thing I'd say make sure you can cope with a bitch in season and a dog in the house it can be a right pain at times
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks Gryff

Bruce is so laid back he will definitely be a bit of a push over if we get a girl, definitely won't be dominant at all! Hopefully this doesn't mean the girl doesn't walk all over him e.g. try to steal his food etc.

To begin with was Buddy & Visla instantly fine with eachother or did it take a while for them both to learn how to live together?

I would take Bruce to meet the puppy first to see how he reacts first obviously but I just don't want him to play too rough when we get home.

Thank you
Old 7 Sep 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
We've always had at least two dogs, I think it's nice that they have company. We had one girl but usually we have boys, she was so different, definitely a girl. They've all always got on well and I don't think there's much difference having one or two doggies apart from twice the food bills and yearly jabs. Go for it!

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We've just got an 8 week old second Frenchie the Visla loves her to bits took the other Frenchie a couple of hours to stop being a little to interested the other Frenchie and stuffy in the family are fine with her as well she's not the least bit fazed by any of the dogs
But we are still very watchful when they are all charging about the garden in case she gets stood on
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

We have 2 chocolate lab Simba and lakeland Jax ages 5 and 3 both boys. They love one another and have got on great since they were first introduced. They are both very sociable dogs especially the lakeland who seems to love all other dogs, he does boss the lab and even though there is a big difference in size we have to buy all bones, treats etc the same as he will keep taking them out of the labs mouth until he is happy that they are both the same size.

Great friends and great company for each other through the day, only negative thing is the cost, two lots of injections, wormers, kennels, insurance etc. when we went away last year it cost me over £550 for 15 days.

Wouldnt be without them love them to bits.
Old 7 Sep 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
almcg
Very Serious Dibber

I have two Cavie girls and I honestly think I find it easier with two! As a PP said it's double everything but as long there are no issues with that then I think you should go for it
almcg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think it's easier to go from one to two than none to one!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
We introduced another 10 year old to our 8 year old (both male) and it worked out fine.
We introduced them at the kennels first and then went daily for a few days to walk them together.
The new dog used to hide all his treats for the first few months (in the oddest of places) but once he had settled he stopped.
Both were medium size dogs and two leads in one hand wasn't a problem and there didn't seem to be an Alpha so meal times were hassle free.
Old 7 Sep 17, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wdwlife
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We've been thinking about this as well.
Our wee Pug is now 4 and we just don't know if it's too late to get him a friend.
My advice was be do it, if you can afford it and have the time to care for them.