Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Apr 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lynda__Loo
Proud to wear my Ears

We're going Inverness - Amsterdam - MCO. First time doing this route but was a good price and not too much time hanging around the airport waiting for our connection so fingers crossed.

Hope you manage to find something at a reasonable price without too many stops!
Lynda__Loo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tka
slightly serious Dibber

tka's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Were in Stirling so going from Glasgow to LGW to MCO. Prices were so good to say no to and fly direct as we usually do (GLA to MCO)
Old 17 Apr 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

In past have done EDI-LGW-MCO BA

Works out well apart from the redeye down and the wait in LGW on way back after a through the night with the kids.

Just booked up for EDI-JFK-MCO with Delta.
Bit later into MCO, but quite looking forward to doing the transatlantic part the other way round. Especially on the way home.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have done BA, Aer Lingus, Delta and United. My favourite at the moment is BA because they have decent layovers in Gatwick and they've been really cheap recently. Gatwick isn't awful for connections as they've got a family lane at security. It's a bit of a trek to the gates though!

I had an awful experience at JFK and won't try there again until the kids are much older. It took a long time to get through a hot immigration hall which was really stressful with another flight to catch. I'd much rather queue at Orlando when I know I'm at the end of my journey.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mariesmith View Post
I'm probably near you as well. Leaving from Coatbridge travelling to Glasgow airport on TUI Dreamliner flights in a few weeks. My Dad refuses to do indirect so over the years its been whatever airline is going direct from Glasgow. In May now the only options direct are Virgin and TUI.

For indirect the easiest would be Glasgow, Dublin to MCO as you clear customs in Ireland so quicker out the airport at MCO.
Virgin from Glasgow via JKF or Edinburgh to Amsterdam are options I was considering this year before we booked TUI.

I was using the Travel Republic website to compare all the options from Scottish airports.
I’m in Airdrie & if you’re near the glasgow Queen st - Edinburgh Low level stations (sunnyside, coatdyke & Airdrie), id say going via Edinburgh is a great idea

It means you can leave the car at home, jump on the train to Edinburgh park & then on the tram. You’re then right outside the door of the airport, closer than the car park shuttle buses.
Ive found that easier than driving to Edinburgh or glasgow and parking offsite.

Otherwise, both glasgow and Edinburgh are good airports.

We as a family didn’t like the trip back via Gatwick due to the long wait from arrival to going to glasgow.

On our next trip in 2020 (hopefully being confirmed on 25th) , we’ll be doing virgin direct

Edited at 06:06 AM.
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I’m in Airdrie & if you’re near the glasgow Queen st - Edinburgh Low level stations (sunnyside, coatdyke & Airdrie), id say going via Edinburgh is a great idea

It means you can leave the car at home, jump on the train to Edinburgh park & then on the tram. You’re then right outside the door of the airport, closer than the car park shuttle buses.
Ive found that easier than driving to Edinburgh or glasgow and parking offsite.

Otherwise, both glasgow and Edinburgh are good airports.

We as a family didn’t like the trip back via Gatwick due to the long wait from arrival to going to glasgow.

On our next trip in 2020 (hopefully being confirmed on 25th) , we’ll be doing virgin direct

I'm in Carnbroe
We've used the trains/trams for other holidays, Spain etc. Usually get a lift to the airport when going to Florida. My parents use the Edinburgh or Glasgow airport busses from Maxim Park, Eurocentral. They have the pensioner concession bus passes so get to the airport free of charge. I think the airport bus is normally £12.50 return and it's really quick and easy.

I hope you get the holiday sorted on the 25th and get the Virgin direct flights. I want to do the same next year for my 40th.
Mariesmith is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I used to live in Carnbroe and now am down at the old Ravenscraig in Motherwell. I have flown so many variations its silly but now I have vowed not to go the Gatwick way again. Its fie going out but coming back is just awful. Indirect my choice would be with icelandair. They have lovely aircraft and the times are great. We are going Virgin this year because we booked early and god a great flight deal. We go from wherever is the cheapest, some years its Edinburgh and some Glasgow.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
wdwlife
Proud to wear my Ears

Keep your eyes out for direct flights, we got virgin from Glasgow to MCO for £1200 for two adults, inc luggage.

A little dearer pp than going indirect but worth it for the sake of £50-£100 for us.
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This is a great thread 😊 I've only ever flown direct, but given the great suggestions on here, I'll definitely check out indirect before booking with VA for next year.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Another minus for the Gatwick route is that we originally booked Edinburgh for both outbound and return but ba messed us about with the cancellation of our home leg.
It moved from a 3hr layover at Gatwick to 12hrs!

We then chose to go back to glasgow meaning we couldn’t park the car even if we wanted to!
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List