Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Daughter is thirteen... I have this ahead of me, and it scares the life out of me.

Will this "friends" trend continue, one muses, negating the need for a Bad Boys II Reggie re-enactment, perhaps?
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ds4ljs View Post
My DD is 17. Never properly had a boyfriend/girlfriend. Said she’s too busy. She is quiet but seems happy... it’s s minefield I dare not enter. Know she would talk to me if she wanted to...
Sounds like my dd. She has ‘talked’ to a couple of boys but decided quite quickly when she got to know them that they weren’t for her. She gets quite a few messages from boys but says she’s too busy and wrapped up in uni to really be interested. She’s a lovely girl, tall, slim and a real beauty so I’m not surprised!😂 She’s studying to be a vet and it’s really full on so I think it would take someone really special to catch her interest.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My 10, yes 10 year old Granddaughter has just chucked her first boyfriend(he is heartbroken)and she has declared that she's going to be a single pringle till she goes to High School,I despair 🙄😁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Daughter is thirteen... I have this ahead of me, and it scares the life out of me.

Will this "friends" trend continue, one muses, negating the need for a Bad Boys II Reggie re-enactment, perhaps?
dont count on it being that far ahead of you - middle son met his first girlfriend when he was 14 and she was 13 - they went out for 6 years and sadly split last year. Youngest son and his girlfriend are both 17 , been going out since they were 14 and still going strong. Oldest son waited until he was a bit older he was 16 they lasted 5 years and sadly they split . I am trying to keep my distance from future girlfriends as I get so upset if and when they split up.
Old 21 Nov 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Part of me thinks aww sweet, obviously 16 is young and usually nothing serious comes of it,

However the other part of me thinks it a bit of a 'cop out' for the younger generations.

If the 'friends' part lasts for a month or so then it's nice to get to know each other.
Months on end calling it 'friends' for me just feels a little non committal.

What happened to knowing you liked someone and declaring that you just want that person.
I wouldn't be feeling very special at that age if a bow wanted to be 'friends' with me and 20 other girls or the other way around clearly the boy wouldn't be that special to me if I wanted lots of other special 'friends'.

I really feel a bit of an old grump saying this lol

Edited at 11:52 AM.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

My son is 17 today and has brought his friend to ours twice now to watch a movie and have pizza. Apparently they do this until officially asked if they want to be his girlfriend etc. This is the first girl he has shown any interest in and she seems lovely but it’s definitely what happens now with the young ones! Friends for a while before officially asking to be girlfriend/boyfriend!
mrsbenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

ive never really thought about this

but now its been mentioned my daughter is 15 this year and there has never been any mention of boys/boyfriends.. there are def boys in her 'friendship groups' but as far as i know only one of her many friends has an actual boyfriend. we have never had any boys at the door or over for any reason... the only boy she mentions a lot is her friend from performers group and without sounding like a dinasour he is out as gay so def just a friend...

by comparison when i was @14 i had the same girlfriend till i was 17 and there was defiantly a lot of long term couples in our year.

when i say girlfriend i mean as in not just friends..
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Part of me thinks aww sweet, obviously 16 is young and usually nothing serious comes of it,

However the other part of me thinks it a bit of a 'cop out' for the younger generations.

If the 'friends' part lasts for a month or so then it's nice to get to know each other.
Months on end calling it 'friends' for me just feels a little non committal.

What happened to knowing you liked someone and declaring that you just want that person.
I wouldn't be feeling very special at that age if a bow wanted to be 'friends' with me and 20 other girls or the other way around clearly the boy wouldn't be that special to me if I wanted lots of other special 'friends'.

I really feel a bit of an old grump saying this lol
This was my initial thought but after a long chat with my daughter she explained that’s its exclusive friendship, so they are not ‘friends’ with anyone else. They are still mates with the opposite sex within their friendship group though.
It’s basically dating I think but no one says that anymore. I am just an old dinosaur. 😂
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
This was my initial thought but after a long chat with my daughter she explained that’s its exclusive friendship, so they are not ‘friends’ with anyone else. They are still mates with the opposite sex within their friendship group though.
It’s basically dating I think but no one says that anymore. I am just an old dinosaur. 😂
Ha ha makes more sense... do you have to ask someone to be your 'friend' to make it as exclusive 'friends' ?...
I think think I am in the 'old dinosaur club' as well lol
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

My daughters are a little older but it isn't that different from when I was their age.
You went out on dates and got to know each other, then if you liked each other enough you would become exclusive.
It just seems that teenagers are too lazy to do the dates part and just wanna get to know each other over text/WhatsApp/sc.
The problem they also have now is that everyone is so easily contactable so no mystery. Some kids that are just speaking to someone speak to them constantly all day and that is not a healthy way to start a relationship imo
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List