Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
New conservatory costs

Hi I'm just hoping somebody can give me a ballpark figure because you know if you contact one of those conservatory companies they never leave you alone afterwards
I'm just trying to get an idea if I can even afford to look at this. I want to knock out the back wall and have a conservatory built as an extension of the house like in this picture (from the net just to show the concept, probably won't be this 'posh' a conservatory!). So not just a sliding glass door and conservatory stuck on the outside but actually remove the wall
Please can anyone tell me what sort of cost I would be looking at?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
chids
Apprentice Imagineer

We paid £11k for this last summer. It's 3m x 3m. It was a local builder who did the work for us. He did everything from digging out the foundations, to putting some electric in it for us.

Edited at 11:56 AM. Reason: Photos didn't upload
chids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Personally wouldn’t do it as there will be a issue with heating. Conservatories can be freezing in the winter. The heat goes out of the glass at a rate of knots. Therefore the room with no door next to conservatory will be more difficult to heat. The whole planning thing around Them is that you must be able to remove them without affecting the main building. If you remove wall you can’t. You are not supposed to have permanent heating in them. What you are planning is an extension which will be something different.

Cost wise around £1000 a sq metre is a good top price to beat

Edited at 12:55 PM.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We paid £10K a few years ago, I loved the look of it but sadly it was freezing in the winter, we had a bigger radiator put out there and last year gave up and had it taken down and replaced with a proper extension which I love as it now means I have a wonderful big new kitchen.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreaming
VIP Dibber

If you actually remove the wall, you will need building control, so you will need to factor that into the cost as well. its really difficult to give estimates on conservatories it depend on many factors and designs you can start anywhere from 10k and go up to 20k.
Disney Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

We took ours down - freezing cold or boiling hot. Never used it.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

You could build your own conservatory depending on DIY skills for less than £5k otherwise you could be looking at upwards of £15k

A single story extension is likely to cost around £30k in North Staffordshire
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I am another who wouldn’t remove the wall because of heating issues . We do use ours all year but we have two radiators in there , ours cost around 8000 but quite a while ago , as well as radiators it has wall lights and much more brick walls than your picture .
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

im not 100% but the one in the picture wouldnt be considered a conservatory as there isnt a lockable door between the room(s)?

i would imagine thats classed as garden room & needs different permissions..

unless you do mean a conservatory in that style but with doors into the house?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
im not 100% but the one in the picture wouldnt be considered a conservatory as there isnt a lockable door between the room(s)?

i would imagine thats classed as garden room & needs different permissions..

unless you do mean a conservatory in that style but with doors into the house?
No, I do mean like that with no door inside. So that would need PP and a conservatory just 'stuck on' doesn't?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List