Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Feb 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Here we go Again! Charlotte's 2nd WDW trip Jan 2019 - Day 8 AK & Rainforest Cafe

Index is here

Day 8

Thursday 31st Jan 2019

Hello again! After a massive break, I'm determined to get this report done before our next trip in May!

So let's crack right on with the next day.

It was a bit of a later start this morning, as we were out late at MK EMH last night. We did our usual routine of putting Charlotte in bed with us once she woke, while she ate her breakfast and watched some Disney Junior, then we'd potter about and get everything ready for the day.

I'd ordered Charlotte some little hair bows from Etsy in the Dooney and Bourke Disney dog fabric, and also seen some ears for me that matched so we wore those today.

We originally had a lunch reservation at Tusker House for 11.45, but I'd pushed it back to 12.30 while we were waiting for the bus. Typically the bus arrived seconds later so we would have made 11.45,but never mind!

Bus stop selfie

Charlotte was in such a good mood this morning, and absolutely loved the bus ride to Animal Kingdom.

We pretty much headed straight to Tusker House once we arrived, although we did enjoy looking at some of the animals in the Oasis.

I wanted to get a photograph of Charlotte by the wall at Tusker House and the Dawa Bar, as I had done last year. I couldn't believe how much she had grown in a little over a year when I put them side by side!

Our buzzer soon went off and we were shown in to the restaurant. Our server was Dave and he was fantastic. Martin and I both ordered alcohol as its included in the dining plan now, so would be rude not to. I got the Jungle juice mimosa, not sure what Martin has but I'm guessing some sort of beer. Charlotte had her usual milk.

We've had breakfast here before, but this was our first time at lunch and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Tusker House is definitely in our top 5 restaurants at WDW. The characters are always so good, the servers we've had have always been among the best and the food is so nice and a welcome difference to the usual theme park stuff. We all ate well, Charlotte particularly enjoyed the pork (similar to the one she loved at Boma) and the chicken.

Once we met all the characters we were just finishing our drinks and sorting the tip for Dave when a little girl came over to our table. She asked if we were staying at Animal Kingdom into the evening, which we were. She then handed us 3 fastpasses for Rivers of Light! She explained that they had done the dining package but weren't going to stay after all, so we're looking out for a family of to give them to. How lovely is that! We hadn't planned on watching the show this trip, as I'd read that you had to arrive quite early to get a seat and wasn't sure how Charlotte would do with that. With the fastpasses though, it meant we would be able to. Once we had paid, we popped over to the little girl's table to thank her and her parents again.

We had a fastpass to meet Mickey and Minnie next, but not for a while so decided to have a slow walk about, take in some details of the park and recover from our big lunch! On the way we stopped at the little area with the musical instruments for a play.

Spotted this photo pass location on the way round

We also called into Dino land, where Charlotte absolutely loved the funny mirrors.

We considered letting her play in the Boneyard but it was extremely busy, so we decided to have a look again later. There was a dance party going on, with Rafiki and Terk having a good bop. Martin took her for a little dance, as she was a bit unsure at first. When they were standing off to the side watching, a cast member offered his hand, which she took and he walked her over to Rafiki. This was really sweet, as obviously a lot of the older kids were more confident so having that little interaction just her was really sweet. He made sure she got her own dance with Terk too and she loved it. I never got his name to cast compliment him though, shame on me.

Our fastpass window for Mickey and Minnie was open next so we walked round there and scanned in. The photographer got some lovely shots of Charlotte running to Mickey for a hug.

Charlotte wanted to go back to the funny mirrors now (Eye roll) so we made our way back to Dinoland. We queued for Triceratop Spin, a first ride for all of us.

She put her little arms up, bless her!

Martin got some tokens and they played the wooly mammoth game. I really have never liked this area of Animal Kingdom, but we did have fun here today.

Our next fastpass for the safari was open now, and as it was a bit drier today we were hoping we might see some more animals!

We did, it was a really good one. We had our own row so we sat Charlotte in the middle of us and then popped her on our knee when we could see animals on our side of the vehicle. It was really 'baby' heavy today, we saw the baby hippo that had recently been born, baby giraffe and some baby mandrills! Lots of ooohing and ahhing!

We picked up some strawberries from Harambe fruit Market and polished those off before making our way down to Pandora, for our Navi River Journey FP. As we were walking along, a CM was standing by one of the pathways that leads down to the Tree of Life, saying that Pocahontas was meeting down there. Most of people were carrying on their way, but we decided to go down and meet her. I'm so glad we did. She was so, so lovely with Charlotte. We were the only people there so they chatted for a good old while.

When we made a move to go, she asked where we were headed. I told her Pandora, and she offered to help us find our way. She took Charlotte's hand and we walked all along the paths back up to the main area by Starbucks, where they had extra cuddles and she said goodbye.

When you're used to planning every minute of every day, sometimes it's so lovely to have these experiences and moments.

Into Pandora, which is still such an impressive area. I do wish it was a bit bigger though. Anyhoo, we ventured on our River Journey which was beautiful... But that's about the best I can say for it really.

I wanted to get a ride on Everest in, so we walked round to check out the single rider wait time.

It was only 10 minutes, so I joined the line. I love this ride so much, so thrilling. Can't wait until we can all ride it together. On the way out I saw a jumper I really liked in the gift shop so picked that up and put it on.

Our Rivers of Light entrance was near the Finding Nemo show, so we made our way over there (via the funny mirrors in Dinoland obviously).

It was a very beautiful show, but dare I say a little bit dull?

Don't think we'd bother doing it again on our next trip, but was really nice to see it today when we didn't expect to. Charlotte was absolutely exhausted by this point and falling asleep on my lap.

We popped her in the buggy and walked round to park exit, as we had an ADR for Rainforest Cafe. We saw some of the Tree of Life show which looked so pretty, definitely want to see more of those next time round.

We checked into Rainforest Cafe. Charlotte was fast asleep by now, which was typical as we only booked this restaurant for her! Luckily (?) we waited over 30 minutes for a table (to the point we were looking on the app for other places with availability!) so we left it until we'd been seated, ordered and our food arrived before waking her.

Keeping busy while we wait

I would have left her to sleep to be honest, but she hadn't had any dinner. Martin walked her around a little bit of the restaurant and she was soon wide awake and raring to eat! The food was pretty decent, probably helped by the fact that we were starving!

We paid for Charlotte's meal, and the tip then made our way out of the park to the bus. I had a bit of a panic when I realised that the park had been closed for some time, and worried the buses would have finished but thankfully they still were!

Our bus driver made us all sing happy birthday to Albert, one of the passengers which was mega cute. He also took a family to the Boardwalk rather than them having to walk round from Yacht and Beach. Lovely man.

Once back in the room I bathed Charlotte and out her to bed, but because of her late nap she was awake for a good while. Martin and I sat in the bathroom /hallway area of the room waiting for her to drop off, messing about on our phones.
Eventually she drifted off, and we got sorted for the next day before having showers and hitting the hay ourselves!

Tomorrow - Disney Springs, Martin tries out The Void, and Hollywood Studios

Edited at 01:42 PM.
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Yayyyyy you’re back. Can’t wait to read this! Charlotte was 2 on this trip wasn’t she? Bet she’s grown so much. Exciting you’re going back in May.

ROL - beautiful but dull... totally agree!

Sounds like you had an action packed day, so cute she loved the mirrors
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Yayyyyy you’re back. Can’t wait to read this! Charlotte was 2 on this trip wasn’t she? Bet she’s grown so much. Exciting you’re going back in May.

ROL - beautiful but dull... totally agree!

Sounds like you had an action packed day, so cute she loved the mirrors
I'm back! Especially for you haha. Was determined not to leave it unfinished, so thanks for the encouragement!
Yes she was 2 and a half and will be almost 4 by our next trip.

Even the relaxing days feel hectic when you write about them then read them back but yeah, I guess whole park days (even with a late start) always tend to be busy x
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Absolute goals with those gorgeous matching ears & hair bows today .

Sounds like a lovely paced day, what a cool meet with Pocahontas too xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely day, I agree with you that it's nice to add some extra unplanned bits. You've got some fantastic photos too. Your repeated visits to the mirrors made me smile.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
What a lovely day, I agree with you that it's nice to add some extra unplanned bits. You've got some fantastic photos too. Your repeated visits to the mirrors made me smile.
Isn't it funny, you can go all the way to Disney World and little things like comedy mirrors are the best bit of the day for a 2 year old
Thanks for reading and commenting x
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Absolute goals with those gorgeous matching ears & hair bows today .

Sounds like a lovely paced day, what a cool meet with Pocahontas too xx
They're so cute aren't they!

Ah yeah, she was so lovely! Very special little moment xx
Old 13 Feb 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Love the matching hair bow and ears, so cute!

Tuskers House looked great, will be adding this to the list for when we next go back!

What a wonderful day of character interactions, such a magical moment with Pocahontas!

Well I have never seen Rivers of Light and I must say I won't be in a hurry to now, thanks for the heads up!

Such a fab day, I can't believe how little Charlotte looks in these photos!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Love the matching hair bow and ears, so cute!

Tuskers House looked great, will be adding this to the list for when we next go back!

What a wonderful day of character interactions, such a magical moment with Pocahontas!

Well I have never seen Rivers of Light and I must say I won't be in a hurry to now, thanks for the heads up!

Such a fab day, I can't believe how little Charlotte looks in these photos!
Aw thank you!

100% recommend Tusker House , for with breakfast or lunch. One of our absolute favourites.

Oh the Pocahontas thing was so lovely, Charlotte still talks about it now .

It was a pretty show don't get me wrong. If you can duck in as it starts and get a seat it's worth a watch. Just wouldn't want to wait a long time for it!

I know , so teeny

Xxx