Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Car licence plate retention help please

Hi.

I’m picking up a new car on Wednesday and need to get a retention certificate number for my private plate. The dealership has asked that i send them the certificate number.

Ive looked on the DVLA site and think i have to apply to take off a number if I m reading it correctly . But if I do does it take it off straight away as i need to I use my current car till Wednesday evening before i hand it over and pick up my new car?

Tia

Edited at 06:02 PM.
sunjue100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I don't think it will be a problem because this must be a common issue, and you are only driving to the dealers on Wednesday, and in the unlikley event you are pulled over you can explain the situation.

Thank you because your thread reminded me to let my car insurance know that I put a new reg number on my car recently (just emailed them)👍
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My Daughters Partner did this last week.

Do the DVLA process online but ensure you have the old plates ready

As soon as DLVA confirm retention they will give you a new Reg No which 99.9% of the time is what was on there before. So put the old ones on the car and immediately tell the Insurance Co you have changed the Reg No. They may charge an admin fee for this. Some do some don't

Edit DVLA will send you a new V5

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Hi. I don’t have any previous plates as it was registered with my private plate from new so I’m presuming i’ll have to apply at the last minute then. Also confused which form I’m completing as their seems to be 2 different ones, think I may ring the dealership tomorrow. Starting to wish I hadn’t bothered buying a new car
Old 22 Jun 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunjue100 View Post
Hi. I don’t have any previous plates as it was registered with my private plate from new so I’m presuming i’ll have to apply at the last minute then. Also confused which form I’m completing as their seems to be 2 different ones, think I may ring the dealership tomorrow. Starting to wish I hadn’t bothered buying a new car
Can't you do it when you get to the dealers because it's done online and you get a temporary cert emailed to you immediately which you can give/show the dealers. The dealers made my new plates up in 10 minutes so it's no big deal for them to do it.

Mr Tom Tom is right because if you do it before you go to collect your car, you have to technically inform your insurance company and possibly pay an admin fee.

Don't let the dealers make you do it their way, but tell them it will be done when you drive your car to them. They will have the confirmation email sent to them instantly from the dvla that it's transferred. The guy sold his reg to me on a weekend and my V5 arrived on the Wednesday.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Thanks I’ve emailed the dealership, as would be happier sorting it on the day.
Old 22 Jun 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

I would do as the other here have advised. We bought a car, insured it, then I bought hubby a private plate only a week later. To change the plate on his insurance they wanted an £85 admin fee! On an insurance policy for £153 for the year! Hubby was furious, it actually worked out that only 3 letters of the plate were changing, it was a funny phone call on his end, I quote " I didn't realise it was £30 a letter!" 😂😂. He actually refused to pay it, as it was rediculous, he had informed the insurance it would be changing in a week when he took it out and they dropped it!
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Originally Posted by weeleighluigi View Post
I would do as the other here have advised. We bought a car, insured it, then I bought hubby a private plate only a week later. To change the plate on his insurance they wanted an £85 admin fee! On an insurance policy for £153 for the year! Hubby was furious, it actually worked out that only 3 letters of the plate were changing, it was a funny phone call on his end, I quote " I didn't realise it was £30 a letter!" 😂😂. He actually refused to pay it, as it was rediculous, he had informed the insurance it would be changing in a week when he took it out and they dropped it!

Oh dear I wouldn’t be happy either !