Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jun 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Easyjet to close bases at Newcastle, Stansted and Southend

EasyJet has announced today that it is to close its bases at London Stansted, London Southend and Newcastle.

The closures do not necessarily mean the end of easyJet flights at Stansted, Southend and Newcastle.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
EasyJet has announced today that it is to close its bases at London Stansted, London Southend and Newcastle.

The closures do not necessarily mean the end of easyJet flights at Stansted, Southend and Newcastle.
Another casualty in the airline world

Slightly off topic I always laugh when the I read London Southend

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thank you for posting this. Sad news for easyJet staff.

From a practical consumer point of view, closing bases, but continuing operations? How does that work? Is it just primarily that the crew aren't rostered there?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i think easyjet have 6 aircraft based at newcastle , assume this means they will no longer be based/maintained there? but will still overnight for early departures next day ?

note the words i think i dont actually know...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
i think easyjet have 6 aircraft based at newcastle , assume this means they will no longer be based/maintained there? but will still overnight for early departures next day ?

note the words i think i dont actually know...
Previously 7 aircraft at STN, 4 at SEN and 3 at NCL, a total of around 675 crew across the 3 bases. This means no crew or aircraft based there.

Night stops are possible but unlikely at much scale, it drives up cost. More likely schedules will change so that there are fewer early morning departures and late night arrivals. The aircraft and crew operating any flights to/from these airports will start and finish elsewhere each day, either at another UK base or one of the European bases.

It will likely mean reduced frequencies for EZY at all three airports, which is hardly a surprise in the context of what’s happening now. London area base activity will be concentrated at LGW and LTN.

Edited at 07:22 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Newcastle is our local airport and we currently have several flights booked with them. Absolutely gutted at that news as use them a few times a year.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

They wont have bases but will still have flights. No very early or late flights as the planes cant start or end the day there.
Living close to both i have many friends that are losing their jobs.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

EZY at NCL will mean no late or early flights, the aircraft will not be parked there at night, they will either use NCL on return flights or relocation which has a cost.

But I suppose there are other northern airports and 2 main Scottish airports just a quick hop away.

Edited at 07:26 AM.
Halowa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Halowa View Post
EZY at NCL will mean no late or early flights, the aircraft will not be parked there at night, they will either use NCL on return flights or relocation which has a cost.

But I suppose there are other northern airports and 2 main Scottish airports just a quick hop away.
Well Edinburgh is our closest Scotland Airport and we do use it occasionally but a 6-hr round trip is not really a quick hop away, and adds an extra day and considerable expense with a toddler and needing airport hotels/parking. Fine for a big holiday but not worth the bother for a short weekend away sometimes.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Well Edinburgh is our closest Scotland Airport and we do use it occasionally but a 6-hr round trip is not really a quick hop away, and adds an extra day and considerable expense with a toddler and needing airport hotels/parking. Fine for a big holiday but not worth the bother for a short weekend away sometimes.
agreed hardly call edinburgh or glasgow a quick hop... neither reachable on a dual carriageway for the whole journey...

leeds/bradford isnt too bad but as you say for a weekend quick trip its hardly worth the hassle
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List