Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by storm View Post
I've chosen to have a direct cremation, no funeral takes place & ashes are returned to family. I've put it in writing & made my wishes clear.
Friends & family can gather when they scatter me in the sea . No funeral tea but ice-cream's while they gather & remember me.
No fuss, no press announcements etc.
That’s what I would like but my ashes scattered from Arthur Seat overlooking Edinburgh (lived here all my life). Simple and no fuss.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

There is an advert on TV at the moment
Old 26 Oct 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I haven't thought too much about it, but I was fascinated by a natural burial ground near my brother in laws house by Bodmin Moor, thought what a lovely natural way to do it. My MIL passed away last year, she was cremated at the most beautiful crematorium (if there is such a thing) with a huge window overlooking the moors, she would have loved that view, we had no cars, just the hearse which we met at the crem. We had one flower arrangement which was from us, and donations to the Plymouth PDSA from everyone else, then we went to the local pub for a few drinks, back to my sister in laws after where we sat in our jammies eating cake and drinking tea, just as she would have enjoyed. It was just what she would have wanted. My mum wants the same, but dad not so sure, he likes people more than mum so will want something bigger!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've told my executors I want to be plastinated and they should hold the wake until it's all done then I can come back and be propped up in a corner at the party.
They're not sure if I'm joking or not

I'm not joking about the plastination but I think it might be a mite expensive to send me back for the wake as it's only done in Germany. Shame.

When you're dead you're dead and you won't know or care what is done with your body and your money. My mom always said the only thing she was going to regret about dying would be not seeing my sister's face when the will was read.. It was nice to be able to talk freely with her about it; so many older people refuse to consider their end but we all die.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

My cousin very sadly died a couple of weeks ago and my aunt and uncle had a pure cremation for him. They want the same for themselves and so does my mum.

I can understand the concept but think it's much harder during these times as family and friends can't gather to do something else to celebrate his life and also say goodbye together, which I think is what people would usually do instead of attending the actual funeral.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I am divided on this with the comments on a funeral is for the living. When my FIL died (he was my husbands step-dad) my MIL discussed nothing with anyone and proceeded to arrange a funeral which we all knew my FIL would have hated (won’t go into details but religion was involved).

It shocked several people so much that later on they told us they had put their wishes on their funeral into writing as they would not want that done to them. His side of the family never spoke to her again.

My MIL made the funeral all about her (nothing unusual in that).
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Neither my father nor my mother had a funeral. For my dad I did miss it and found the lack of closure hard - he died quite suddenly. My mother was determined (quite aggressively) not to have a funeral. Looking back, it was certainly the beginnings of her dementia. My mother died after a long span of time in a care home - frankly she had ‘gone’ long before she died. We didn’t have a funeral, just a private cremation. She had no living friends, and we are a very small family so there seemed little point. When you arrange a non funeral option the director will tell you the time and place of the cremation so you can stop and think at the time. However, we were told we couldn’t attend the crematorium, but were welcome to sit in the garden of remembrance. This worked well.
We did attend a humanist funeral for my husbands cousin. The ceremony was lovely and she was laid to rest in a forest setting. I think this is what I’d like.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post

My late husband and I had this talk when he was ill.

I hate funerals and only ever went to one, never again.

We decided on a private interment and that's what we did. Only my daughter and I went, we picked out two of his favourite pieces of music and it went fine.

His family weren't happy and had their own memorial service which was fine by me, I hasten to add none of his family had much input all the way through and visits were as rare as hen's teeth during the eight years he was ill. One of the last things my husband said on the matter was he didn't want his mother to make his funeral about her. How sad was that?

She did but my daughter and I didn't have to see it.

I'll be doing the same when my time comes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
My late husband and I had this talk when he was ill.

I hate funerals and only ever went to one, never again.

We decided on a private interment and that's what we did. Only my daughter and I went, we picked out two of his favourite pieces of music and it went fine.

His family weren't happy and had their own memorial service which was fine by me, I hasten to add none of his family had much input all the way through and visits were as rare as hen's teeth during the eight years he was ill. One of the last things my husband said on the matter was he didn't want his mother to make his funeral about her. How sad was that?

She did but my daughter and I didn't have to see it.

I'll be doing the same when my time comes.
Didn’t want to like this post but totally understand what you mean.
Old 26 Oct 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would like a funeral (buriel) but not have the hangers on

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List