Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

New porch posts/roof

Hiya

We have an open type porch area in front of our front door. There are two very low side walls, a post going up to a sloping slated roof. The inside of the roof is flat wood cladding. We also have two horrible shaped iron inserts between the post and the wall to try and box it off a bit.

I've been wanting to get it tidied up for years now and have just had someone come out to look at it as the posts are a mess and very rotten.

The haven't given me the full quote yet but they were scribbling a long list of stuff, saying we needed to re do our guttering too around it amongst other things.

Anyone had anything similar redone? thinking the two posts and maybe overcladding on the roof inside bit and then painting up etc?

No idea how much this should cost. And is it carpenters/joiners that I should be contacting, its not a massive job in the scheme of things.

x

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sounds like how my Porch was!

Our front door is at the side of the house and a Porch was never built as the drive was too narrow for a car to get past.

Then way before we moved in the previous occupier had a scabby aluminium front and sides put under the tiled roof.

I looked after it so well it rotted and basically all but fell down.

I then measured up and had a 3 sided Porch with narrow double doors in the front. Basically 3 pieces bolted together. That was about £1200 for supply only.

I then tiled the whole lot inside and put in a flat ceiling.
New roof tiles and lead flashing to the wall.
Plus guttering and a down pipe

£1500 max.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

we got quoted on a full porch once, they said about 4k! we declined. I just want the wood stuff redoing.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
OP. I suspect the roof posts are 4" square PSE (Planed Square Edge) timber

To give you a rough idea you are looking at circa £14 a metre for good stuff. yes you can get a lot cheaper but it's rubbish and not kiln dried.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

The guys that came out I've got a suspicion their quote is going to be about 600 as they kept adding things on to it. and i'd still on top of that need to get the metal bits dipped and coated somewhere.

Old 28 Oct 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
It depends where they get the iron work treated.

Maybe 5 years ago now but I paid circa £50 to have 2 bench ends dipped, galvanized and spray painted. That was in a Foundry.

Costs soon mount up sadly.

Old 28 Oct 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Thanks Mr TM will see what they say. Hoping I can get another couple of quotes tbh, but its hard getting ppl out for small jobs. Any jobs come to that!

Old 28 Oct 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

we had our porch roof re-covered last week as it was leaking. its only a little over 2m x 1m in size and cost us £240

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

We have something similar. Open porch area with wooden posts on either side and then fenced sides rather than walls. However the bedroom comes out over the top of it. We asked someone to come and quote to replace the posts but he started umming and ahhing and said he needed his mate to check if building regs were required.

His mate came and started saying we needed steels into the wall at the top and steel posts into the ground by at least a metre and that we need to contact gas and water to see what runs under there! We were like 'errrmmm'!?!

My OH said to him 'sorry what is it you do because your mate said you were just coming to check whether regs were needed'. He then said 'Oh I own a steel firm'. Hahaha ok then that makes sense as to why you want to put steels in!
Old 29 Oct 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Phone your local sawmill for a quote, then get someone to fit it
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List