Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Apr 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Money for Notre Dame

John Humphries was interviewing a bishop this morning and I was cheering him on.
Basically he was asking why all this money should be raised for a building when there are people starving or homeless all over the world.
I'm in total agreement.
Does the Catholic Church own Notre Dame? If so, I think they should give all those millions (potentially billions) to a good cause and leave the building in ruins as a reminder of what's more important these days.
What's your opinion?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I believe the French State owns Notre Dame not the Catholic Church.
It is a beautiful, historic building and deserves to be rebuilt. Hope Macron doesn’t ask the EU to contribute though. I don’t think Brexit Britain could cope !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
traleegirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Having seen the genuine anguish and grief on the faces of French people I’m glad for the donations. The same people need hope, and if the donations give them that, it's money well spent.
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Going to be an emotive post this one.

However having worked in Construction I can say there is no middle ground due to the safety issues. It either has to be stabilised and rebuilt or demolished.

Far too much structure left to leave it as it currently is. Going to cost Millions of Euros just to stabilise it. Nightmare job as that work has to pay due regard to the fact it is so old and preservation is harder than a new build.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Dave+Hel
slightly serious Dibber

Dave+Hel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
John Humphries was interviewing a bishop this morning and I was cheering him on.
Basically he was asking why all this money should be raised for a building when there are people starving or homeless all over the world.
I'm in total agreement.
Does the Catholic Church own Notre Dame? If so, I think they should give all those millions (potentially billions) to a good cause and leave the building in ruins as a reminder of what's more important these days.
What's your opinion?
I see where you are coming from but people have donated money specifically for that cause. Surely people have the right to do what they want to do with that money
Dave+Hel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

The money could rehome all of the homeless in France!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I agree with him too. Whilst Notre Dame is a historic building, it's just that... a building.

I have just had a quick Google and it is owned by the French State but the RC church is the main beneficiary due to son law a couple if centuries ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the businessmen do donate to charity but priorities as skewed.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree. It’s a building at the end of the day. While I wouldn’t wish it any harm, the fact millions and millions of euros can be raised for a building in moments is beyond belief.
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I was interested to hear the emphasis in Macron’s speeches in relation to Notre Dame - embedded in French culture, the mother church of the French people, rebuilding an opportunity for the nation to come together with their national project, etc. He then promptly launched an international fundraising campaign.
I do think this wonderful building should be restored but just got a sense that Macron should be a little less nationalistic if he wants international support.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickey's Magic
Excited about Disney

Mickey's Magic's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think its up to the individual as to what they want to donate to.

DLP: 1997 (Cheyenne), 2013 (Offsite; Dream Castle), 2017 (Newport Bay), 2019 (Sequoia Lodge)
Mickey's Magic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List