Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Nov 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have questions re car repairs...

First.

Daughter has a BMW something or other

Had an issue on Saturday and the only place open was kwikfit. They looked at it and said the shocks had gone cost £550

Being a sensible girl, she took it on Monday to the guy who does her services. Not shock at all, a “Nut” has come loose near wheel! ( you can tell I’m technically challenged, but then again, can you emergency Intubate someone)

Said nut and connection need replacing, it’s been tightened and in next week for repair. Cost £355

Is Kwik fit usually this devious?

Second

Our Nissan Xtrail. 2007. ( spanish obviously). Two years ago we had one timing chain replaced. Now the same issue has occurred again.

First time you start the car, after a minute if you don’t keep revving the engine cuts out.

Garage says timing chains x2 and all associates tension bars etc need replacing £2K

We don’t want to sell car yet, and obviously don’t want to sell a broken car so it’s going in for repairs next week.

Question. How long should these things last for. We will see it later next year and get a bit of money back for it
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Don't know anything about cars but love this crack

you can tell I’m technically challenged, but then again, can you emergency Intubate someone)
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can confirm without absolute certainty that kwik fit are as trustworthy as Fagan from Oliver (he wasn't very honest). Many moons ago they tried to stitch me up with expensive shock absorbers I didn't need and I used them once since for a puncture and they trying to rip a woman off at the time (I put her right). I have lost track of how many people I know they've ripped off ot tried to.

With the regards the timing chain, it can vary from car to car, because some don't need doing for every so many years years or its based on the mileage. Unless your car has done lots of miles in the two years (at least 50,000) and has had a very hard life climbing mountains, it sounds very unusual to have it replaced after 2 years. Problem is you can buy cheap timing chains that aren't as strong as the decent ones and therefore don't last as long. My mechanical knowledge isn't great, but I have had timing chains replaced in the past.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

again i know next to nothing about cars

but timing chain on my old A4 2,0 TDI was @£750 so if you have 2 (? no idea why) then £1500 plus the 'tension bars'.. whatever they are dosnt sound to unreasonable?

personally i'd trade it in if it needed 2k worth of work
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Hi TB,
I personally wouldn't buy a pint of milk from KF.
Do she have any other small mechanic near her that could help. Stuff does wear, and a loose wheel nut can do a lot of damage depending on how lose it was and for how long.

£2K seems a lot for timing chains (eve including all the associated bits. And it should last way longer than two years. This sounds like dirt has caused premature wear on the chain. Is it regularly serviced?

Edited at 08:13 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The BMW cost with the local Guy sounds ok. It scares me to death when I am in Sytner for a service and I see people paying £2k or £3K for repairs.

With regards to Kwik Fit I would rather throw myself naked into a bramble bush than go there.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:08 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Wouldn't touch Kwikfit with a barge pole, or anything else for that matter.

They ripped me off when I needed new tyres, never again.
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Kwik fit are a rip off top to bottom. Would not touch them.

I do think they do the work they charge for. It is just most of it doesn't need doing.

"Ah sir, while we were changing the tyre we noticed the pads were a little low, they will probably run out in a few thousand miles. Shall we change them now while we have the wheels off. Er no."

One poor soul called in. Asked for a free break check, guy persuaded her to have a full service "just in case" as she had just bought it. Apparently that us what they always recomend. Never mind if they had a service book or receipts, just have another service just in case.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Timing chains usually have a life of at least 100,000 miles if not a bit more depending on vehicle. Usually advised to change them at 80,000 to be safe.
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you people.

We can’t trade it in as at the moment we don’t have the funds.

I googled and apparently some cars have two or even three timing chains! Can’t find out about X trails although it appears to be a common problem

We do travel up and down rough terrain quite a lot and it’s done well over 200k Miles. We will get it done and hold onto it until end of next year , fingers crossed. Then we will be in a position to trade it in
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List