Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone with experience in family history?

I would like to do a bit of research into my family tree. I do have some starting points from something I did years ago in school, so I’m not starting from scratch. But it also means that I’ve recorded as much as I can from living family members. So is there anyone out there that can help with advice on what to do next?
Firstly, what would be the best way to actually record the information? Is there a recommended piece of software that will record the linkages and display the information well?
Secondly, how exactly do I take the next steps in research? I obviously need to go to some official records sources but I do not have a clue where to start!
Finally, are there any tips and tricks to finding out the stories behind people rather than just their names, birthdates etc? Things like occupations or interesting info?
Thanks for any help any of our lovely Dibbers can give 🤞
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Id start with Ancestry. You can get a free trial. If you can get back to 1911 with family knowledge then you can look at census on there snd some birth certificate information although you have to order the actual certificates.

I saved all mine within Ancestry and you can export it in a format other software can read.

Edited at 07:17 PM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My nephew thought he would start the family tree, he paid to join Ancestry.com and has never looked back, its been a wealth of information, he has taken our family back to the 1600's. on both sides.

Ancestry works as when he put in his details anyone else from around the world who has also joined will automatically pop up, giving you the chance then to see if they are part of your tree.

He had to send off i think a blood sample, this is how they match you through your blood line.

We have found many relatives in USA, its very interesting, its now my nephews hobby, he has visited grave sites of relatives around the London area, found an old shop in London where a great great great grandfather was once a shoe maker, the shop is still standing. Its been very time consuming but unearthed some really amazing things
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. We joined Ancestry.com back in the Spring. We are only doing my Wife's side of the Family as my Sister has done my side.

So far we have just skimmed the surface back to circa 1820 and have well over 600 people already

It's hard work and you can easily go wrong by following hints from other people as people are like sheep and follow the leader!

The starter for ten is the 1939 Census as that contains exact dates of birth whereas marriage certs don't normally.

Then work your way back from the 1911 Census every 10 years.

Hope you haven't got Irish ancestors as their records aren't great sadly.

If we get stuck we go on the Govt website and order a marriage cert for £11. Arrives in under a week and that gives the respective Fathers full name and occupation. Then you can leap back a generation.

The sad things is the amount of Children who died in their first year and also the First World War.
Nothing unusual to find a Lady under 30 yrs of age who has had 10+ Children and only 5 or 6 who made their teens.

We are going to upgrade to Worldwide next Month as we have connections in America and Australia and we can track them there via shipping records but then we can't access the respective overseas records to complete the person through to death.

As we speak my Wife has the saliva DNA test coming as it was on offer last week down to £59.

If you joining Ancestry don't forget Quidco cashback!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

Alongside Ancestry, I use the Family Tree Maker software. This links to Ancestry (if you have a subscription) and offers suggestions of records for people in your tree.

Another useful free site is freebmd this is a searchable site for births deaths and marriages from 1837. Whilst you can’t see the actual certificates, it can be useful to pinpoint specific individuals or just a general surname search.

There is also Familysearch a site that has been around for many years. The records are by no way complete but I have found some useful matches that I could not find elsewhere.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Do be careful of the suggestions. They are often wrong. I have someone who has contacted me re linking our trees but I am convinced they are wrong and we are related to different people with the same name.

My mum has actually traced relatives of her mum and met up with them.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

I've been doing family research for the last 20 years. I use A4 Binders to store all the family papers, documents, certificates and photos (currently at 9). I also use acid free boxes and albums etc. Everything is dated and named where possible and from a source such as Ancestry or Local Record Offices.

I use Family Tree to store family info but don't share it.

It's always useful to ask older family members about old family photos.
This is my biggest tip! ASK BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.
From past experience, most of my relations had died before I started doing the Family Tree, I've loads of photos with no names so it's hard to guess who they were.

Use Probate Records as these can be useful to link generations too.

Enjoy the process 😀
Mrs Red C is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Mrs Red C View Post
I've been doing family research for the last 20 years. I use A4 Binders to store all the family papers, documents, certificates and photos (currently at 9). I also use acid free boxes and albums etc. Everything is dated and named where possible and from a source such as Ancestry or Local Record Offices.

I use Family Tree to store family info but don't share it.

It's always useful to ask older family members about old family photos.
This is my biggest tip! ASK BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.
From past experience, most of my relations had died before I started doing the Family Tree, I've loads of photos with no names so it's hard to guess who they were.

Use Probate Records as these can be useful to link generations too.

Enjoy the process 😀
Every word you say I agree with.
Sad to say my wife is starting from zero as she has no surviving older relatives.

Out of the blue a Cousin popped up albeit she is Private and she has helped us loads.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Do be careful of the suggestions. They are often wrong. I have someone who has contacted me re linking our trees but I am convinced they are wrong and we are related to different people with the same name.
THIS - I started researching my family tree about 20 years ago when it was mainly trips to records offices and buying birth/marriage/death certificates.

I don’t share my tree in Ancestry as during my research I have made mistakes that I’ve now corrected, but years ago shared it with someone who was also researching a branch of my tree. To this day I still come across the mistakes I made showing as ‘gospel’ where they have been shared so many times.

Also, a lot of the suggested matches on Ancestry are not to be taken as true, as they often just seem to be based on name.

This sounds negative, but it is a very addictive hobby!
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

I've done my mum's family side through ancestry.

Cross check everything. Ages, dates of birth, places where they lived.

Be very careful following links from other people's trees! Someone I was linked to had a family with 3 children but the parent had died at the age of 3!

Check the Wills section too, that gave me more information in terms of people, addresses and who they were related to.

Print everything you find and save to your own computer. if you stop paying you won't have access to records you've found.

I found hard copies of things helped me cross check I wasn't going wrong.

Enjoy. I found it very addictive.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List