Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Oct 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
This has been such an interesting post - from the original post describing their job to all the contributions by others. It sounds ‘wrong’ to say it but it’s such a difference to some recent posts which have turned abusive and rude. I’ll say it again - so interesting.
I personally think it’s been the best post I’ve ever read on here.
Our thanks and admiration to Twin Mummy
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
I personally think it’s been the best post I’ve ever read on here.
Our thanks and admiration to Twin Mummy
Aww, thank you.
Old 27 Oct 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Fascinating , my family fled the Pogroms in Lithuania in 1900 but we have branches who lost almost everyone to the camps during WW2 .
It’s certainly something that should never be forgotten.
Mine too - my Grandad came as a very small child with his family from Lithuania, and my Grandma from what is now Belorus. I wish I knew more of their stories but unfortunately my Grandma was very much against my parents getting married as my Mum is not Jewish. That caused a huge rift between my parents and Grandma that they never really got over, so I and my siblings were brought up completely ignorant of the Jewish side of our heritage until I found out accidentally as an adult.
It saddens me that my Grandma couldn’t be more tolerant, but at least in the last few years I’ve been able to meet a few of my Jewish relatives.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

I can totally understand why it would be so difficult to visit with personal connections, it's hard enough with none.
When I first visited Auschwitz I was quite shocked by some Israeli youngsters who were visiting as they were singing and draped in flags, A Jewish friend saw my discomfort and said, just think about it, they are putting 2 fingers up to Hitler and the Nazis who wanted to wipe them all out. They are showing that the Nazis failed. (Quote)

This stood out to me when I visited too.
It actually made me cry tears of joy!
After seeing all the horror that happened there, to see Jews wrapped in thier flag really struck a chord with me. Filled me with happiness to see, I can understand why they do it. I would do it too.

Sorry, don't know how to quote posts, I just copy and paste

Edited at 11:06 PM.
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tigerfee View Post
I can totally understand why it would be so difficult to visit with personal connections, it's hard enough with none.
When I first visited Auschwitz I was quite shocked by some Israeli youngsters who were visiting as they were singing and draped in flags, A Jewish friend saw my discomfort and said, just think about it, they are putting 2 fingers up to Hitler and the Nazis who wanted to wipe them all out. They are showing that the Nazis failed. (Quote)

This stood out to me when I visited too.
It actually made me cry tears of joy!
After seeing all the horror that happened there, to see Jews wrapped in thier flag really struck a chord with me. Filled me with happiness to see, I can understand why they do it. I would do it too.

Sorry, don't know how to quote posts, I just copy and paste
Totally, it's something that makes me smile now when I see it.

To quote I just press 'quote' under the post I want to quote- next to the like button.
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Twin Mummy, thank you for posting, it's great to see something like this. What amazing work you do. Also, so many interesting and heart breaking stories from posters.

While I have no personal connection, I do have a very keen interest. We have visited Auschwitz, Birkenau, Schindler's factory, Anne Frank house and the Holocaust museum in Washington DC, it is a deeply moving subject and something that should always be thought and talked about.

You must be very proud of what you do!
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
When I first visited Auschwitz I was quite shocked by some Israeli youngsters who were visiting as they were singing and draped in flags, A Jewish friend saw my discomfort and said, just think about it, they are putting 2 fingers up to Hitler and the Nazis who wanted to wipe them all out. They are showing that the Nazis failed.
In the 80s I spent time on a kibbutz and worked with elderly ladies who had survived the camps , they are the “granny’s” Israeli youth grew up with , listening to their stories . Makes perfect sense of the “up yours , we endured” attitude.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List